Author Topic: I am angry and dislike organization. Feel my rage.  (Read 12539 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
I am angry and dislike organization. Feel my rage.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 08:37:10 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;224796
dave, there has GOT to be a "pissin\' and moanin\'" thread that you can merge this one with...  

that would be moderator epic!

I\'m guessing that this thread can be merged with the "Things That Grind My Gears" thread...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jking

• thanks!!
    • http://
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 09:44:45 am »
i gotta agree that i, for one, would never have opened the buquebus lyrics thread to see any discussion of favorite versions. i already know what the lyrics are, so i don\'t ever open any of the song lyric threads looking for discussion of particular songs. i guess that why i\'ve thought that there has been little to no discussion of tunes around here lately. i guess it falls on me for not opening threads i thought i already knew the content of, but it does seem a bit ocd to contain all discussion within a single thread, especially since those threads have been lyric-only threads for years...

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 10:03:18 am »
I told myself I was staying out of this.  I am Jack\'s complete lack of self control

Quote from: bezerker;224700
seriously tho, how does you\'re favorite version of queeb have anything to do with the lyrics ???  

I think the whole misunderstanding here is that while the song threads contain
the lyrics (a nice touch imo), the thread\'s discussion is not restricted to the lyrics.  It wasn\'t too long ago that people on the board had asked for each song to have it\'s own thread, the idea behind it being that if you want to reference a previous post or thought about Buquebus, you wouldn\'t have to sift through 7(0?) different threads all more or less about the same song.  So the Buquebus thread should be home to any and all thoughts Buquebus.  Lyrics, jams, bassline, segwhiches, the expression on TPalms face during the chrous- whatever.

And seriously- since when did a merge become a personal attack?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:08:52 am by wildcoyote »
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 10:25:34 am »
yes.

dave, please correct me if i\'m wrong, but the tuneage forum\'s primary purpose is to discuss any aspect of any particular song.  the lyrics are included in the first post of any song\'s thread as a convenience to the thread participants.  it also eliminates the need for a seperate lyrics section.  please, if you\'d like to discuss anything about a particular tune (lyrical themes, best versions, jam directions, interesting segues, etc.), then there\'s already a thread for it.

a big part of why we should be cognizant of this is that the more threads that exist and the less organized they are, the more stress there is on dave and his server.  we all may not agree on the ways this forum should be and is run, but we really should acknowledge the tremendous amount of work involved in maintaining ANY internet forum, let alone such a rich, feature packed forum like this one.  the less dave and other admins have to worry about juggling threads to keep them organized, the more time they\'ll have to address other more important issues, and perhaps start developing new features for the board.

and lastly, lets all remember why we\'re here.  i think it has something to do with having fun...  anyone?
Postcount +1.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 10:34:26 am »
Quote from: wildcoyote;224806
I think the whole misunderstanding here is that while the song threads contain the lyrics (a nice touch imo), the thread\'s discussion is not restricted to the lyrics.  It wasn\'t too long ago that people on the board had asked for each song to have it\'s own thread, the idea behind it being that if you want to reference a previous post or thought about Buquebus, you wouldn\'t have to sift through 7(0?) different threads all more or less about the same song.  So the Buquebus thread should be home to any and all thoughts Buquebus.  Lyrics, jams, bassline, segwhiches, the expression on TPalms face during the chrous- whatever.

isn\'t that why there\'s a "search titles only" function? and if there are 70 threads on buquebus, wouldn\'t it be easier to search those threads (by more specific sub-topic) than search through one massive buquebus thread looking for sub-topics (or searching the entire archive for the word "buquebus")?

Quote from: Jim Cobb;224807
and lastly, lets all remember why we\'re here.  i think it has something to do with having fun...  anyone?

nope...this is ser biz, guy
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 10:36:29 am »
the coyote hit the nail on the head. discussions like these are the reason i created the tunage forum in the first place. and if you actually take the time to look at the buquebus thread, there is plenty of discussion about "best evers". thus, having  a separate thread that doesn\'t even include the name of the song in the title of the thread, is pointless because once discussion dies down and the thread drops off, it\'s impossible to search on.

and how could the tunage forum be just about lyrics, when there are threads for instrumentals as well? hell, there\'s been activity in the CMSS thread as recent as yesterday.

it\'s funny that i get called out with things like moderation being "ser biz" and "ocd", but i\'m not the one who threw a tantrum about it.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:21 am »
i would prefer never merging any threads or posts. it\'s easier for me. as a regular user of the site, i think that holds some weight. that\'s one aspect (maybe the only one) that i prefer on PT to .info

for future reference: do any threads actually "die?" do they get archived? or are they all active forever?
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

jking

• thanks!!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 11:09:34 am »
no offense was intended, dave. i just know that when i first was figuring out .info, there were threads with lyrics and no other discussion. in my mind, that\'s what all of those threads with song names are. so, that\'s entirely my fault.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 12:42:25 pm »
i spose i was being a little bitch.  sorry
*Gia*

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 01:58:50 pm »
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

sammy b

• the ser doozer
    • http://www.myspace.com/samblanchette
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:27 pm »
this is ser biz brah!

ChrisF

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 05:16:06 pm »
yes.

dave, please correct me if i\'m wrong, but the tuneage forum\'s primary purpose is to discuss any aspect of any particular song.  the lyrics are included in the first post of any song\'s thread as a convenience to the thread participants.  it also eliminates the need for a seperate lyrics section.  please, if you\'d like to discuss anything about a particular tune (lyrical themes, best versions, jam directions, interesting segues, etc.), then there\'s already a thread for it.

a big part of why we should be cognizant of this is that the more threads that exist and the less organized they are, the more stress there is on dave and his server.  

that makes sense most of the time, but i dont see a problem with making a thread for a recent or classic performance of a particular song if someone wants to discuss that particular performance only. putting it in the lyrics forum will just bury it in the list of threads because of the way its organized. if merged anywhere it should be merged into the setlist thread for the date of the show.

gavin made a thread that encouraged constructive discussion and it was moved to a place where it will take a year to get the same amount of views as it would normally get in a week or less. that is week sauce.

there are so many pointless threads on here wasting bandwidth that on topic breakfast discussion shouldnt be an issue in this case. half of the site\'s bandwidth is probably just being used for the 2 phish threads in here. why dont the moderators rush in to merge those threads? is it because they still need some tickets?

we all may not agree on the ways this forum should be and is run, but we really should acknowledge the tremendous amount of work involved in maintaining ANY internet forum, let alone such a rich, feature packed forum like this one.  the less dave and other admins have to worry about juggling threads to keep them organized, the more time they\'ll have to address other more important issues, and perhaps start developing new features for the board.

if the chase is for discussing upcoming shows, food for thought is for discussing past shows, and tunage is the only place for discussing all topics involving their songs- that covers all the bases right there. so why not just lock the grand scheme forum like the setlist forum so only moderators can make threads in there too? that will save dave so much time that he can implement so many features that we wont have to talk about the breakfast anymore.

i just have no other place to go

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »
Quote from: ChrisF;224867

gavin made a thread that encouraged constructive discussion and it was moved to a place where it will take a year to get the same amount of views as it would normally get in a week or less. that is week sauce.

exactly my point right now and the reason i started that thread.  thank you fitz
*Gia*

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 05:29:20 pm »
:looks around:

:slow clap:

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 06:10:43 pm »
shit.
should u get involved in this??
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set