Author Topic: Joe\'s PB review thread...  (Read 3447 times)

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
Joe\'s PB review thread...
« on: February 05, 2004, 06:28:50 pm »
So I\'ve been procrastinating ever since this site began as to whether or not I would review past PB shows for the sake of reviewing.  Well, I decided to review and each and every PB show I own.  I\'ll be doing it in a song by song style of reviewing. Enjoy!!

May 11th, 2001 - Century Lounge - Providence, RI
I: Mooboo\'s Voodoo (Episode 2) > Mystery Roach > Slipknot! > Mystery Roach > Garcian Fishbowl* > Drunk Monk Bar, L.A. Woman > The Vermont Song > Kote, The Chase
* Ron breaks a string. Everyone keeps jamming while he changes it, with an \'OH-EEE-OH\' pirate jam.
** The Doors cover; first time played.

Mooboo\'s: A mooboo\'s opener is always a nice treat but this version isn\'t that much of an exception to the rule.  Jam I is nothing special to start, mostly Tim having fun with his delay pedals, however Adrian is on, definetly trying to take it up a notch.  The jam ends in a very intense sync between Ron and Aid.  Jam II on this Moboo\'s is verrrry ser.  Mostly Tim just ripping shit up. Perfect transition back into Mooboo\'s ending... Overall a stellar version...

Mystery Roach>Slipknot>Mystery Roach: Definetly the highlight of this show.  I feel like I\'m watching 200 Motels whenever I put this show on.  It\'s creative segues such as this one that keep me coming back for more.  Ron lays down some serious funk during Slipknot!!!

Garcian Fishbowl: Another standard version with Tim acting like Johnny Depp;)

Drunk Monk Bar: They definetly brought the heat with this Drunk Monk.  My favorite part is Tim screaming "rock and fucking roll."  

LA Woman: Way better than Phish\'s version.  I\'m barely a Door\'s fan but this happens to be one of my favorite tunes so its nice to hear PB rip it!!

Vermont Song: i don\'t like this song or this version.  It would be in PB\'s best interest to drop it out of rotation forever.

Kote: BRING BACK KOTE!!! One of my favorite PB tunes with some of the most infectious vocal harmonies I\'ve ever heard in my life.  This version is a springboard for a ridiculous jam that just seems to keep on going.  

The Chase: PERFECT set ender... You could tell there weren\'t a lot of people in the audience so there was no need for a Taboot.  I\'m still suprised Chase hasn\'t made it onto any PB albums yet...  Evil Count Funkula funk......  

Overall a pretty stellar show, I give it an A-
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 11:49:45 pm »
Are you really going to post a review of every show you own? It\'s awesome to hear people\'s thoughts about show, I love it. But every show you have, might that be a bit much? But hey, if you have the energy and the time, go for it. I\'ll read em.
Masturbation in the MFA

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
Re: Joe\'s PB review thread...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 11:58:44 pm »
Originally posted by Joe
Vermont Song: i don\'t like this song or this version.  It would be in PB\'s best interest to drop it out of rotation forever.

I have always liked The Vermont Song, but it\'s kind of hit or miss.  I have never heard the show in question, but I\'ve noticed that depending on how the band is playing it on any given night, it could either fit perfectly or totally clash with the rest of a set.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 12:52:03 am »
Musically, I like it alright. I\'ve heard really good ones and not so good ones. Lyrically, it does absolutely nothing for me. I mean, the ideas behind the lyrics are good, but I\'ve heard the same ideas sad much more eloquently in other places. I think in the vt song, they sound a bit... trite. oh, god, that sounded mean.
Masturbation in the MFA

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 01:22:51 am »
it sounded true^^^^  yes i admit, a few times VT song has helped add momentum to the show..
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 03:06:25 am »
the best vermont song ever was at callahans in cheshire with james albis on the sax for timmys part.who remembers that one?anybody?
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 05:15:00 am »
Originally posted by freddiewaht
the best vermont song ever was at callahans in cheshire with james albis on the sax for timmys part.who remembers that one?anybody?

i think i was there. callahans shows were always good ones. Remeber the one where db came out dressed like springsteen and did born to run?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 12:49:06 pm »
that was really good shit from rydb.i didnt even know he had it in him..

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 02:00:23 pm »
I like VT Song.  It\'s kinda PB\'s "Porch Song", if you know what I mean...
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 02:14:07 pm »
Ehh Marcial, that comparison isn\'t gonna cut..... I\'m happy when I hear Porch Song, it has that cold Budweiser in hand and buddies all around you feel but it doesn\'t come right out and say it like VT song does...  Man all this cold beer/Panic talk is making me want to run down to the store and pick myself up the LT survival pack;)

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 02:40:22 pm »
August 23rd, 2001 - Toad’s Place - New Haven, CT
I: Buquebus > Fairy > Drunk Monk Bar, Cut Me Some Slack, Lit > Girls* > Son Of Simpleton**
II: Beef Barley^, Maggot Brain^ > See The Light^ > Gypsy Queen^, Spunk^^ > Attraction To Shade Ditty
E: Rockin\' In The Free World#
* Beastie Boys cover; with \'Boyz N Tha Hood\' intro; with Dave Pecoraro on vocals; first time played.
** with the \'New Shoe Dance\' by Tim.
^ with Jeff Pevar on guitar.
^^ with extended drum solo; first time played
# Neil Young cover; first time played

Buquebus:Sick opener, started the high octane fuel theme for the night.   Most Buquebus\' have just your standard mind fucking high energy jam but this one beautifully faded into...

Fairy: You can\'t go wrong with Fairy. Every version is passionate and apocalyptic. Usually Fairy gets thrown in later on in the show but this placement fit just right...

Drunk Monk Bar: Standard Drunk Monk Bar. High energy with Tim doing his usual riping.  Definetly the proper song choice to get people up and raging.

Cut Me Some Slack: Funky, fresh.... Gave the crowd a chance to catch their breath and still get their groove on.  REALLY suprised Cut Me Some Slack hasn\'t been cut...... in the studio that is;)

Lit: I\'ll be blunt, I HATE LIT. Songs about drug use just don\'t do anything for me, unless its Cocaine Decisions;)  I don\'t like the obvious dissonance-- in other words Lit makes me feel uncomfortable.  This version, like all the others didn\'t do a thing for me.

Girls: When I heard the NWA intro I thought I was in for a Special Secret Song but oh no, to my avail it was the worst Beastie Boys song ever.  I never liked this song period.  Next time Devo goes on stage I\'m slipping him a  fin so I can hear my SSSI;)

Son of Simpleton: Tim spent this time doing s goofy shoe dance and acting like a little kid.  I love Son of Simpleton, I just wish it wasn\'t preceded by childish antics.......

II
Beef Barely: JEFF FUCKING PEVAR!!! Holy christ!!  I\'ve been listening to him for a long time.  I\'ve also been a pretty dedicated CPR fan, so to hear to him rip with Tim was just like the fucking ultimate musical moment.  Pevar turned this Beef Barely into a fucking OMAHA STEAK!!!!

Maggot Brain: Then I lost my shit.........

See The Light: Again, one of my least favorite PB songs transformed into a monster by Pevar....

Gypsy Queen:Always a pleasure to hear this juxtaposition.

Spunk: A straight up fusion debut!!!!  Wonderful, fabulous--Phil Collins would be proud.  I just wish they didn\'t throw in the drum solo smack dab in the middle of it, for awhile I had to skip over this track cause of the pause in full fledged PB energy.. But as you all know there never is a bad Adrian solo, so seek out this show to hear him take out his skins.

ATSD: Standard closer.... Nothing special.

E:
Rockin\' in The Free World: One of the more shocking moments of my life was when I connected the American Diesel Experiment with 9/11.  I remember that wonderful sultry summer night packed in Callahans watching the boys show their true colors of red, white and blue.  I still find it ironic that our country was attacked after such an awesome night. My favorite cover of the night was coincidently Rockin\' in the Free World and I\'m very happy it became a staple in the PB cover cataloug.

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 02:41:43 pm »
gotta love the survivr pack.yo mar,do you still have aim?try to get ahold of me.havent seen you in awhile..hope alls well

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 03:18:40 pm »
bro, you know I am just a push of the button on the 2 way away...
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 11:07:38 pm »
not no more man.switched the nextel bro.shit was gettin too hectic on that thing.the convenience factor was too much.way too much time on the phone,and on top of that my boss shut my shit off.....but im lookin good again.

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 11:20:24 pm »
May 26th, 2001 - Good Times Emporium - Somerville, MA
I: Superfly Phaddy Fat > Beef Barley > Terrapin Station > Rufus > Peace Frog, Drum Solo > Taboo Or Not Taboot

This show is the standard PB show.... or is it??  First off the cd sounds like there were about 5 people in attendance.... Now look at where the boys are playing in Boston!! Anyways here is the lowdown:

Superfly Phaddy Fat: Nice little beat box intro by the boyz to get the funk started. Other than that you have a standard jam.

Beef Barley: Ron lays down the funk by playing little one or two note grooves, other than that the jam doesn\'t elevate that much.

Terrapin>Rufus: The only reason you should seek out this show on cd. First off the Terrapin was almost flawless.  Jordan flubbed a few verses, but who blames him, I know I can\'t remember what I did 5 mins ago let alone the Dead\'s longest song.  The jam is the real treat with Adrian playing in triple time, Jordan laying down some wicked cosmic synth dives and Tim doing his McLaughlinesque ripping. The jam reaches a moment of intensity that can be matched only by.............  its smooth segue into Rufus.  Killer Rufus with an insane jam.  Though I\'ll probably be saying insane jam in describing every Rufus, this one however holds something special.  Maybe it was the jazzy tendencies of Jerry that was mysteriously/subconsciously planted into Tim\'s fingers, but whatever it was OUCH....

Peace Frog: Not a fan but nailed to a "T" anyway...

Drums: Self explanatory

tabbo or not taboot: Appropiate closer for the 5 people who showed up. Those that were there did deserve the funk......