Author Topic: Oregon Trail  (Read 4119 times)

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
Oregon Trail
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »
I made it!  Lost 2 family members (both to typhoid), and my GD daughter must have bones of glass because she kept breaking arms and legs.  But I almost made the Oregon Top Ten.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Oregon Trail
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »
yea, I played again last night and realised my mistake on the first trip, I got 200lbs of food because that\'s what he said, but I got 200lbs for the whole trip whereas it said per person, so I should have had 1,000lbs. The second game I went with alli, jocelyn and a couple people from work and I killed them all, including my friends 7yr old who drowned when I tried to forge a 4ft deep river. The first time I played I went light on supplies and just got a ton of bullets figuring I could just steal from other people along the way, but nooooo, that\'s not allowed aparently. um, hello, my group is starving, you have food and I have guns. Lets be realistic here.

joc, in your memory I\'m going to go break into a bottle of wine. ;)
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Oregon Trail
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 03:15:23 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;221311
Nice! Here\'s to not getting cholera!

Did anyone ever play Amazon Trail? That was a fun one too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/UBv5jOfHnEo&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/UBv5jOfHnEo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Oregon Trail
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;221468
Quote from: jocelyn;221311
Nice! Here\'s to not getting cholera!

Did anyone ever play Amazon Trail? That was a fun one too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/UBv5jOfHnEo&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/UBv5jOfHnEo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

i hope that kid gets cholera

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Oregon Trail
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 04:44:29 pm »
who-hoo! 5th place in the top ten. go as the banker so you have more money. Only lost one person this time too.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Oregon Trail
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 11:45:18 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;221473
who-hoo! 5th place in the top ten. go as the banker so you have more money. Only lost one person this time too.

GREAT find!  Many hours of grades 3-5 went into this game!

The banker is the worst if you\'re going for a high score.  The carpenter gets his score doubled and the farmer tripled when you complete the game.

I still remember my strategy.  I\'ve broken 9,000 points, STILL a Charlotte A. Dunning Elementary School record.  The strategy is

-Farmer, always the farmer
-Start in March
-Blow all your money at the start (except for $10 for the 2 ferries) on 12 oxen, 10 clothes, 1 of each spare part, 10 boxes of bullets, no food. (Still remember this formula 18 years later.)
-For the first month don\'t travel at all, just hunt.  Load up on grub.  Only shoot big game, no squirrels or rabbits.  You\'ll float b/w 100-300 lbs on you the whole trip.  When you drop below 100, hunt again.
-Always travel strenuous, never steady or greuling.  Except once you can see The Dalles, switch to steady to maintain health.  You MUST reach The Dalles in good health.  At the two forks in the game, do not go to the forts, they add distance and forts are useless when you travel broke.
-Always stop for 3 days if someone gets sick.  Can\'t afford to have anyone die, it\'s a point killler.
-Filling rations whenever possible (should be always.)
-Never rest, always hunt or attempt to trade instead.  You still get the benefits of rest and sometimes you can score some awesome trades
-At Snake River, a glitch in the game lets you "barter" with the Shoshoni guide.  Just keep turning him down until you get an offer of 2 sets of clothing.  It\'s still no guarantee you\'ll make it but I think having the guide is about 90% successful.
-As you approach the Dales (the last landmark), stop short and rest as long as you need to get to good health.  This is huge for your score.
-Always float down the river at the end and for the love of god don\'t screw it up!  I\'ve had otherwise perfect games get ruined here so make sure you\'re good at it.

Here\'s tonight\'s scorecard!  Not bad at all for 17 years off!

Finished as farmer on October 10th

5 people in good health: 7500
1 wagon: 150
10 oxen: 120
4 spare wagon parts: 24
13 sets of clothing: 26
72 bullets: 3
2 pounds of food: 0 (finished with 2lb!  That\'s efficiency!)
$0.00 cash: 0

Final score: 7875, #1 on top ten.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:59:57 am by Wolfman »

SlimPickens

• just the tip
Oregon Trail
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 07:12:36 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;221491
Quote from: FrankZappa;221473

GREAT find!  Many hours of grades 3-5 went into this game!

The banker is the worst if you\'re going for a high score.  The carpenter gets his score doubled and the farmer tripled when you complete the game.

I still remember my strategy.  I\'ve broken 9,000 points, STILL a Charlotte A. Dunning Elementary School record.  The strategy is

-Farmer, always the farmer
-Start in March
-Blow all your money at the start (except for $10 for the 2 ferries) on 12 oxen, 10 clothes, 1 of each spare part, 10 boxes of bullets, no food. (Still remember this formula 18 years later.)
-For the first month don\'t travel at all, just hunt.  Load up on grub.  Only shoot big game, no squirrels or rabbits.  You\'ll float b/w 100-300 lbs on you the whole trip.  When you drop below 100, hunt again.
-Always travel strenuous, never steady or greuling.  Except once you can see The Dalles, switch to steady to maintain health.  You MUST reach The Dalles in good health.  At the two forks in the game, do not go to the forts, they add distance and forts are useless when you travel broke.
-Always stop for 3 days if someone gets sick.  Can\'t afford to have anyone die, it\'s a point killler.
-Filling rations whenever possible (should be always.)
-Never rest, always hunt or attempt to trade instead.  You still get the benefits of rest and sometimes you can score some awesome trades
-At Snake River, a glitch in the game lets you "barter" with the Shoshoni guide.  Just keep turning him down until you get an offer of 2 sets of clothing.  It\'s still no guarantee you\'ll make it but I think having the guide is about 90% successful.
-As you approach the Dales (the last landmark), stop short and rest as long as you need to get to good health.  This is huge for your score.
-Always float down the river at the end and for the love of god don\'t screw it up!  I\'ve had otherwise perfect games get ruined here so make sure you\'re good at it.

Here\'s tonight\'s scorecard!  Not bad at all for 17 years off!

Finished as farmer on October 10th

5 people in good health: 7500
1 wagon: 150
10 oxen: 120
4 spare wagon parts: 24
13 sets of clothing: 26
72 bullets: 3
2 pounds of food: 0 (finished with 2lb!  That\'s efficiency!)
$0.00 cash: 0

Final score: 7875, #1 on top ten.

DAMN!

FrankZappa

• Administrator
Oregon Trail
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 11:04:56 am »
and then 2 months later, a little russian game called "tetris" came over to the u.s. and seth never played oregon trail again.

Wolfman

Oregon Trail
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:40 am »
LOL that pretty much sums up my childhood.  I was lucky that Tetris and Oregon Trail didn\'t conflict, since I played Tetris at home and OT at school.

Now, can anyone find a Flash version of MathBlaster?

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Oregon Trail
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »
wow seth. just 1 one more reason i am proud to call you \'friend\'.
caress me, aunt jemima

Wolfman

Oregon Trail
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 09:43:27 pm »
lol thanks Lexi

OT was the first video game I ever mastered, along with Where In The USA Is Carmen Sandiego, which I got nasty at over the same time period.  Nothing like popping in those 5.25 inch floppy disks and hearing that disk drive purr!  I mastered both games on 1-color green screens and computers with NO HARD DRIVE!  By 7th grade we had a computer at home with EGA 8-color graphics and a whopping 516KB hard drive (WOW, that\'s half of one megabyte!) and that\'s when I moved up and eventually mastered Doom, SimCity, Aces of the Pacific, Sid Meyer\'s Railroad Tycoon, F117A Stealth Fighter, Descent, Doom2, SkiFree, Minesweeper, and Flight Simulator 2.0
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:46:26 pm by Wolfman »

peaches626

Oregon Trail
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 09:47:10 pm »
whats your secret to skifree?

i always raged the climb up hill underneath the ski lift move to steal points... also, i found one angle where you could get away from the abonimable snowman for a while, but eventually he always gets ya
taints rule, gypsies drool!

Wolfman

Oregon Trail
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 10:58:16 pm »
Quote from: peaches626;221635
whats your secret to skifree?

i always raged the climb up hill underneath the ski lift move to steal points... also, i found one angle where you could get away from the abonimable snowman for a while, but eventually he always gets ya

At first I thought it was to hit all the rainbow ramps and click the mouse as fast as possible to do lots of flips.  This is the best "legit" way to rack up points, especially if you get lucky and land directly on a second rainbow ramp, you\'ll fly clear off the screen for a few seconds and can rock like a 20-back-flip 10-rotation jump.  

For the highest possible score, use the chair lift glitch.  When you pass under a chair lift you score points.  If you STAY under a moving chairlift, your score will keep going up.  Find a chair moving downwards and ride slowly under it.  Position the pointer just above the skiier and keep clicking so you do flips.  You\'ll hit your head on the chair and wipe out every time but you\'ll still get points for both flipping and being under the chair.  Keep doing this for a while and you\'ll have a massive score, then you can climb back up (under a moving chair of course!) and do it again.  

Yep, no avoiding the evil snowman, when he wants you, he gets you!

Can\'t believe I remember this shit!