Author Topic: Setlist: 2009-01-31 - Sully\'s; Hartford, CT  (Read 8052 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 2009-01-31 - Sully\'s; Hartford, CT
« on: January 31, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »
I: jam > May Fly Disarray, Doughboy, Space City Affair > jam* > Tunage**, jam > Sleeping Beauty > Synergy^

II: Episode 3 (Awakening), Peace Frog > Gladys Pimp And Kangaroos With Me > Honey Butter

E: Taboo Or Not Taboot

* with \'Magilla\' (Phish) teases.
** unfinished.
^ with \'Helter Skelter\' (The Beatles) tease.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:16:07 am »
Welcome back Peace Frog... Where\'s Blue Sunday...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:22 am »
anyone else hear a get up, standup tease in the reggae breakdown of mayfly?
Where to next?

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:56:22 am »
this is a top 5 show for me...it was fucking rippin...non-stop dance party the whole night, and some of the most out there, intesnse, and experimental jamming ive seen from the band.  Shows like this was the reason i got into these guys in the first place.

I really hope theres a soundboard of this one.
DS Newbers

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:06:37 pm »
got improv? if you were at sully\'s last night, you sure did get your share. the jam during tunage was personally my favorite, treading into to some delightfully demented territory. jordan adds such a darker (in a good way...) tinge to the jams, with his synth swells sending things to a whole different dimension. tim\'s twisted guitar line in this jam sent my head swirling. chris and adrian, meanwhile, are so fucking good at finding the right beats to fill with the  right sounds. when tim and jordan are in outer space, chris and adrian are able to keep it grounded. but not in a repetitive way, of course. they still are pushing the music - and the audience - into unexplored directions that literally made me giddy at points. you know how it is. when you connect with them and just laugh at how fucking good it is? yeah, that\'s what keeps us all coming back.

sleeping beauty was GREAT to hear. (i\'m seeing last time played electric was nov. 16, 2007 at stone church, according to .org. then the true last time played was acoustic on dec. 21, 2007 for a radio show.) i was surprised by how the tunage jam was darker/spacier and the sleeping beauty jam was more upbeat. you\'d think it\'d be the opposite... anyways, there was a part in sleeping beauty where i remember thinking "this is what the dreams of a person who plays too much mario brothers probably sounds like."

but that\'s not to say it was all so good...

whenever a band is pushing itself onto new ground there\'s bound to be some bumps. and they\'re bound to trip from time to time. i personally thought the jam during peace frog was such a point. it started off well, but i think it went on too long and then degraded into a disconnected mess.

but then.....

it\'s a bird! it\'s a plane! no! it\'s gladys pimp and her fucking crew of kangaroos here to save the day! i\'m calling gladys the hero of the second set. i felt the crowd at the end of the peace frog jam was just kinda standing there, a bit detached, and then bam! gladys swoops in! the bitch takes no shit, and last night was no exception.

i think it was during this jam that there was a point where tim, chris and jordan were all playing around with their mixers to get some spacey sounding shit, which was pretty cool. i love when i\'m watching tim make noises and i have no idea how he\'s doing it. not sure if this all started as an accident tho? it kinda looked like tim had started playing around with the sounds and wanted to cut out of it into a straight up guitar jam, but got caught with the mixer looping a track it shouldn\'t have? i don\'t know. and it really doesn\'t matter. it was cool.

then into honey butter?! sexy! loved how all the ladies were front-row ragin it for this one! :lol:

taboo kept up the dance vibe that had built up over gladys pimp and honey butter, and i think it was a smart move for the band to play this song, going out on an upbeat note.

all in all a great night of music and i\'m glad i made the trek. i gotta say, i felt like my energy level was really low last night and i apologize for any mellow vibe i may have been putting out. was a long week and a long day for me...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 12:12:37 pm by galenas »

psychjosh

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:38:47 pm »
Mayfly = EPIC
Bring Back the Shotty Nasal!

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:42:14 pm »
It is amazing how well this line up has been syncing together. Really the best Breakfast that has been.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

tonyajo

• Theres No Place Like Home
    • http://www.moe.org
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:50:49 pm »
What a fantastic night!!  A few randoms I\'d like to throw out there.....
Less of a show review, mostly just some thanks.

The Breakfast just never disappoints! They were so on fire last night.  Adrian just simply amazed me so many times!  Incredible. Thank you for playing my Honey Butter (juice) request!!  Made my night!!

Billy and Mark, sorry for hitting you guys!  I just got too excited a couple of times!

Ho! Ho! Ho! Green Giant!

My jaw hurts from smiling so much!

Dave, amazing work you did with the camera!  I was very impressed!  Don’t forget to give Paul Ryan that hug for me!

Left my Kansas State sweatshirt on the floor.

Diana, thank you for all of the kisses!

DS#s, thank you so much for all of the great road trips.  You\'re a wonderful travel buddy.  

Thanks to Dave, Ken, Chris, Rob, all of the tapers.  I appreciate you guys.  I’m gonna be relying on you to get my Breakfast fix!

I would like to thank everyone for all of the words of support, hugs, kisses, prayers, vibes, stories of your own, etc. It really means a lot to me.  I\'m gonna miss everyone, but I will be back!!  Hopefully later than sooner though.
It\'s not the drinking
Of the suds you partake
It\'s more the clinking
And the toast that you make

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:11:20 pm »
Quote from: tonyajo;218428

Diana, thank you for all of the kisses!

the pleasure was all mine. you are an amazing person and don\'t forget what i said when i saw you on the way out... much love, t.

Quote from: Spacey;218427
It is amazing how well this line up has been syncing together. Really the best Breakfast that has been.

were you there? how on earth did i miss the space man?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:11:20 pm by galenas »

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 02:45:21 pm »
Quote from: Spacey;218427

Sounds like a pretty ser hobby
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 02:49:08 pm »
how has nobody mentioned the Episode 3?   That was easily my highlight of the show.  I think Eppy 3 might be my favorite Episode.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 04:05:13 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;218434
how has nobody mentioned the Episode 3?   That was easily my highlight of the show.  I think Eppy 3 might be my favorite Episode.

to be honest, i have never really liked eppy 3 until last night. really enjoyed the slower-paced build and the funky jamming throughout. i have never been able to dance to that song. definitely the highlight for me, as well...

... but eppy 2 is still the anthem... ;)
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

FieryBill

• People Party Coast2Coast
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 04:20:21 pm »
Thanks to the Breakfast and the two great crowds for another sick weekend. So many highlights I could go on for a while.... but I think the Psygn through OE and Sully\'s May Fly, Tunage, and PF > Pimp > HB were the most redonkulous moments of the weekend. Wow what a band, but you all know that. Synergy tease in the Noho No Quarter BTW, I\'m pretty sure...

Before the Jam > Tunage I yelled out "Breakfast-age!!" just for shits and giggles and then they played Tunage. I thought that was funny/cool. Haha.

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »
Eppy 3 was huge.  It seems more polished now.  
I\'ve always loved Peace Frog.
Sully\'s is the best for really being able to see Adrian\'s madness, also Chris was really badass last night.
my neck hurts from all the head-shakin dancing.  
thank you Breakfast!!!

Ren

• what?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 03:18:47 am »
these boys don\'t fuck around anymore.  ever since jordo came back it\'s been better and better.  they reach soooo many unreal jams that i don\'t even know what to say.  they look like they\'re having just as much fun as us, maybe even more at times.

i can\'t get the jam that went into mayfly out of my head, of course the mayfly reached a few points where i couldn\'t get the smile off my face.  so good.  tunage was great, i liked the subtle little magilla that tim threw in right before it got started, thought i heard a tiny love lake tease too, but it was probably just wishful.  good to have it back again.  sleeping beauty, escpecially the intro, (the best part imo) was jaw-dropping .  synergy was nicely placed and spectacular.  get over it yoda.  who cares.  and furthermore i would\'ve thrown more than a penalty flag at "the boss" at the half-time show, he\'s not the boss of me, but that\'s another post.  jus\' fuckin\' with ya, back to my point....

which was...?

ok, as far as ep 3 goes....wow.  lex, how ya gonna ask for it and not go?  it fuckin\' ripped, and was as good as it usually is.  ok, it was insane.  however i don\'t know if i would\'ve chosen peace frog to follow it up, nicky said the same thing more or less, though once it got going and where it ended up it was fine with me.  it brought back sooo many memories from way back when jordan started to sing.  whew!  it did drag on a tiny bit, but if you don\'t go exploring you never actually get anywhere.

and talk about gladys out of nowhere.  man.  there we were just minding our own business and there it was.  wild.  honey butter was delicious as well, a bit rushed due to the fact that the fuckin\' lights were on at that point.  i also think i would\'ve rather had it go on for a bit longer with no encore than hear taboot, nothing against it, just didn\'t feel like hearing it despite my jumping.  i don\'t even know why i did it, but then again last time same song, same place, i tossed paul....

but it was amusing to hear gencs sorta yelling rufus during the chorus, now that would\'ve been a nice ending.

very good time, i was fuckin\' beat from all the dancin\' and i too have a sore neck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:45:07 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."