Author Topic: Camp Bisco dates just announced  (Read 6004 times)

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
Camp Bisco dates just announced
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2009, 02:25:51 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;234334
Huh. Music Sunday?

I think this will be a last minute decision probably a lot based on peer pressure... I can\'t really say that anyone there besides Shpongle and STS9 are much of a draw for me... then again my friends did rent an RV...

hmm hmmm hmmmm

Bdfree...last 3 years i\'ve gone in knowing very few of the other acts at Camp...besides the Umphrey\'s, STS9s, and BPs of the world.  Each year i\'ve been blown away by the stuff I\'ve never heard before.  If you have a RV spot it would be foolish not to go ;)

Maybe we can get zuke to make some recommendations based on this year\'s lineup (if he already hasn\'t...i haven\'t checked the whole thread).

Quote from: BennyBoomers;217533
Ok, I know it goes against what I just said, but I too would LOVE to see Justice.

Some of my choices have been said, but here\'s my wish list, in order:

Brother\'s Past
Electron
The Breakfast
Of Montreal
Simian Mobile Disco
LCD Soundsystem
Atmosphere (would be the best hip-hop act in CB history)
The Weird Beards
Aesop Rock
Peter Bjorn & John
Tapes N Tapes
The Arcade Fire

I know some of these bands don\'t fit your "typical Camp lineup" but I think thats the point, they need to mix it up a little bit.

And Zuke, you can hold me to this point, if at least 2 of the above named acts does indeed play Camp this year, i will go.

looks like Benny Boomers is in
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:25:51 pm by NickNels »
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »
yeah i was trying to piece something like that together, but i didn\'t think the schedule made sense.  i think the one posted on PT will be quite different from the real one. we\'ll see...
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2009, 02:34:38 pm »
did that say AC Slater? nows he\'s touring instead of gearing up for the saved by the bell reunion???
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2009, 12:32:26 am »
Quote from: NickNels;234336
Quote from: bdfreetuna;234334
Huh. Music Sunday?

I think this will be a last minute decision probably a lot based on peer pressure... I can\'t really say that anyone there besides Shpongle and STS9 are much of a draw for me... then again my friends did rent an RV...

hmm hmmm hmmmm

Bdfree...last 3 years i\'ve gone in knowing very few of the other acts at Camp...besides the Umphrey\'s, STS9s, and BPs of the world.  Each year i\'ve been blown away by the stuff I\'ve never heard before.  If you have a RV spot it would be foolish not to go ;)

Maybe we can get zuke to make some recommendations based on this year\'s lineup (if he already hasn\'t...i haven\'t checked the whole thread).

i was waiting for a schedule so i could narrow my focus, but here are some links and thoughts:

tractorbeam vs. the perfume - two disco biscuits side projects. tractorbeam essentially nixes all lyrics from a biscuits show to allow a little more exploration with the music...this usually results in a 4-hour dance party. the perfume is a disco biscuits cover band...a "band" that hasn\'t played since the departure of their original drummer. they (and when i say they, i mean the biscuits playing as their own cover band) put a new spin on their own songs. this allows them to infuse reggae, bluegrass, "early U2," "ramones," "devo," dub, and, yes, even techno into their repertoire. the link i\'ve provided contains a legendary jam->techno i-man. more wierdness can be found here.  nobody knows exactly how this set (these sets?) will play out, but it has incredible potential

the orb - i\'ve only heard one of their albums (the dream part II). apparently they\'re pioneers in the field of electronic music. i suppose that\'s true. if they\'re playing saturday, i certainly wouldn\'t miss their set.

DFA disco tent - if this is going on saturday, i already know this will be my highlight. it\'s not clearly stated how this is exactly going down, but i don\'t know how it could possibly be bad. the DFA record label is home to some of the following artists:

-LCD soundsystem (their album 45:33) - i could describe them as dance-punk, i suppose. your best bet is to just download and listen. they won\'t technically be at camp, but you should download this album anyway

-special disco version - a side project of LCD soundsystem that will be performing their own set at camp. i expect their set to be a dj set and also fucking insanely awesome. check out this set or their terribly designed myspace page for a taste. special disco version is not just a clever name...you can expect some ser disco shit for this act

-holy ghost! -another coupla djs that will be at camp. here\'s a link to one of their mixes!kcrw mix. also very disco-ey

-some other DFA acts that won\'t be at camp, but whose albums you should download...like right now:

-hercules and love affair - hercules and love affair - i\'m not kidding download this album this instant

-hot chip - the warning (as made famous by its 5 minute tenure in the cd player of the fenway party bus)...and for the hell of it:made in the dark

-the juan maclean - less than human. some more weird techno shiz

campgoers can only hope that some of these artist get spun in tent (since everybody else will be)

twisted records all-star tent - not 100% about this one either, but you can expect a heavy dose of simon posford (shpongle, hallucinogen, younger brother), benji vaughn (prometheus, younger brother), and ott (producer for various posford projects). a number of downloads can be found in this thread. but for good measure, here\'s one i\'ve been listening to a bunch:
hallucinogen - in dub: live (untracked)

by no means a comprehensive recommendation. i expect to do a little more prep over the next few weeks. but like nicknels said, at camp it\'s easy to be blown away by an act you\'ve never heard of. and dude, if you\'ve got some buddies with an RV, you have to go

NickNels

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »
K\'Naan - Rapper with some interesting beats, some of which are African influenced.  I don\'t listen to enough of the genre to really tell you what\'s good and what\'s not...that being said.  I\'ve been listening to The Dusty Philosopher.  It\'s not bad.

EOTO - Uses a lot of sound effects and not enough of a beat.  I would describe it as "minimalist" electronica.  Not really enough substance for me to listen to on disc.  Not really too impressed.

Dr. Dog - Sounds like 60\'s / 70\'s rock and roll with a folky twist.  Really don\'t hear many bands that sound like this now a days.  Seems like an odd fit for Camp Bisco.

Bonobo Live - Doesn\'t really do much for me.  I\'ve heard people praise these guys big time, but from what I heard it seems pretty generic.  Nothing I would go out of my way to listen to.

Blue tech - Not really dance music.  It seems more like something I would want to watch tripping my face off in a Planet\'arium starring up at some laser light show.

Chromeo - YES YES YES.  Electronic/Funk/Dance.  Great stuff to get down to.  I hope I get a chance to see them Saturday, but I\'m willing to bet they play Friday setbreak.

AC Slater - House/Electronic/Dance.  A dance party could ensue.  Nice bass lines...not as much substance as some stuff out there, but very listenable.

more to come as I get through some of this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:22:18 pm by NickNels »

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »
I think Vibes line-up takes a dump all over this. But that probably tells you something about my musical tastes. George Clinton & P-Funk, Deep Banana Blackout, Ratdog, Dark Star, Buddy Guy, Assembly of Dust, hell I even love Max Creek. Some of the other bands I\'m not psyched about but will probably be pretty good regardless.

Real instruments for the win ;)

Shame and a half Breakfast can\'t be found at either though.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:30:35 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;234454
Real instruments for the win ;)

oof...have fun at vibes

Quote from: NickNels;234433
Chromeo - YES YES YES.  Electronic/Funk/Dance.  Great stuff to get down to.  I hope I get a chance to see them Saturday, but I\'m willing to bet they play Friday setbreak.

with any luck, they\'ll be playing either wednesday or monday
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:06:23 pm by zuke583 »

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 04:19:20 pm »
initial setbreak info:

thursday: flying lotus
friday: ott
saturday: james murphy (of LCD)

looks more and more like twisted tent will be friday and DFA tent will be saturday

inthewhitelodge

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2009, 11:41:22 pm »
There *should be* no more speaking about Bisco. On this date we should all be at the CHAFFEE GATHERING in PA for The two night run of The Breakfast!
"When I hold you, I hold everything that is-- swans, volcanoes, river rocks, maple trees drinking the fragrance of the moon, bread that the fire adores. In your life I see everything that lives."- Pablo Neruda:wave:

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 07:09:59 am »
yeah, well, that\'s too bad because there will be.

enjoy chaffee

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 05:18:19 pm »
Quote from: inthewhitelodge;234984
There *should be* no more speaking about Bisco. On this date we should all be at the CHAFFEE GATHERING in PA for The two night run of The Breakfast!

amen sister!
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

NickNels

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:44 am »
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork (Deluxe Edition):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BMHERNN4

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2009, 09:37:50 am »
Quote from: NickNels;235090
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork (Deluxe Edition):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BMHERNN4

downloaded this album last week. i can\'t make it through an entire track. i\'m sure i\'ll have a good time if i see them live at camp, but i still think it\'s just way too cheesey

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:09 am »
So, I\'m going.  wahooo!
But I am going to buy my tix there because I am annoyed by the service fee, that basically makes the price the same as the gate price.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APE8WvWmfmk <- ac slater is involved in this lil mix
"a dance party could ensue" - NickNelsodamus

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2009, 12:46:55 pm »
Quote from: ulee;235105
So, I\'m going.  wahooo!
But I am going to buy my tix there because I am annoyed by the service fee, that basically makes the price the same as the gate price.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APE8WvWmfmk <- ac slater is involved in this lil mix
"a dance party could ensue" - NickNelsodamus

good to know you\'re definitely going! (we probably discussed this already, didn\'t we...). i guarantee this camp will be 1000x more enjoyable for you than the last one (on all fronts).

no idea about this ac slater guy. nice little mix though. if i could, i would listen to female british vocals over a techno beat 24/7