Author Topic: Was anyone else discusted by Bush\'s State of the Union Address Last Night?  (Read 54828 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The ONE and ONLY PBFans Political Pissing Contest Thread
« Reply #510 on: May 09, 2011, 04:34:00 pm »
Quote from: phish4breakfast;269106
Anyone we put in there isn\'t gonna do much improving in thir 4-8 year span. We\'re in a shithole we have so many problems that need to be fixed its gonna happen over time if it happens at all

It would take someone who isn\'t concerned with being re-elected to get things done. If you do what is right and not politically expedient you can get things done. The problem all these guys get in to is that they want to be reelected so they are beholden to the power players who hold re-election over their heads.

What is happening is a constant consolidation of power in the executive branch. that march has been on going forever. Congress prefers not to stick its neck out in any meaningful way and acquiesces their power to the president so they do not have to take responsibility for anything. Now the judicial branch is also very weary about getting in to "checking" the executive power. Essentially we now have a king. We have been moving away from rule of law to rule by man.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #511 on: May 09, 2011, 07:20:20 pm »
^^
very well said.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

phish4breakfast

• Spreading Chrimbus Cheer
« Reply #512 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:47 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;269108
Anyone we put in there isn\'t gonna do much improving in thir 4-8 year span. We\'re in a shithole we have so many problems that need to be fixed its gonna happen over time if it happens at all

It would take someone who isn\'t concerned with being re-elected to get things done. If you do what is right and not politically expedient you can get things done. The problem all these guys get in to is that they want to be reelected so they are beholden to the power players who hold re-election over their heads.

What is happening is a constant consolidation of power in the executive branch. that march has been on going forever. Congress prefers not to stick its neck out in any meaningful way and acquiesces their power to the president so they do not have to take responsibility for anything. Now the judicial branch is also very weary about getting in to "checking" the executive power. Essentially we now have a king. We have been moving away from rule of law to rule by man.

I want to hear more...
I\'ve always felt the real problem is coming from congress. I mean thats where the real debates are happening over pertinant bills and what not. I\'m not gonna lie, I really don\'t know much about what\'s current in terms of topics in congress. I know about the health insurance crap they spat out last year, and I understand the whole checks n balance system we have going, I just don\'t know what they\'ve been trying to do to fix our economy. I read an artice the other day talking about where a lot of our money has been going to, and its the CEOs of our major companies. For example, one guy who is CEO for one particular company received a raise from 39 million to 84 million dollars in 2 years. Seems like an irrational amount of money for anyone to make.

Oh yea tobacco and alcohol are legal yet marijuana is illegal, fucking people over with charges that do not do anything to harm anyone... just sayin

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #513 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:43 pm »
i agree with congress being a quagmire that won\'t ever get anything accomplished.

as far as marijuana, that should be left to the states.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #514 on: May 10, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
Quote from: phish4breakfast;269123
Quote from: kindm\'s;269108

I want to hear more...
I\'ve always felt the real problem is coming from congress. I mean thats where the real debates are happening over pertinant bills and what not. I\'m not gonna lie, I really don\'t know much about what\'s current in terms of topics in congress. I know about the health insurance crap they spat out last year, and I understand the whole checks n balance system we have going, I just don\'t know what they\'ve been trying to do to fix our economy. I read an artice the other day talking about where a lot of our money has been going to, and its the CEOs of our major companies. For example, one guy who is CEO for one particular company received a raise from 39 million to 84 million dollars in 2 years. Seems like an irrational amount of money for anyone to make.

Oh yea tobacco and alcohol are legal yet marijuana is illegal, fucking people over with charges that do not do anything to harm anyone... just sayin

Well we all remember school house rock.

Executive Branch (ie President) The Judicial Branch (ie Supreme Court) and Congress (house and Senate). All of these branches are supposed to check the others power. The idea being that none of these entities would ever give up power to the other. The power struggles are what keep everything in balance. Now what we have is the Congress which is essentially supposed to check the presidents power by controlling the budget, basically just doing what the executive branch wants. They simply give their  power to the president on many matters and this creates precedent. A very good example of this is war or military budgeting. You may hear the term "Power of the Purse" bantered about when describing the power the congress holds over the president. Essentially the president can order whatever he wants but the congress has to fund it. If they don\'t fund it, it doesn\'t happen. But what we have seen for the last decade or more is that congress when it comes to military actions especially never bothers to use this power and simply hands the president a blank check. They will even go so far as to account for that money outside of normal budgets.

The Supreme Court is now doing some of this as well. We have seen on numerous occasions where the court will essentially say in matters of "National Security" we are not going to rule etc. By doing this they essentially are making the executives actions legal. We saw this in the debate over habeus reviews and many of the other 4th amendment related issues that have arisen in the past 10 years or so.

Now they all debate the BS so that it keeps the appearance that we all have a say or that our votes count etc. But the reality is that the dominant voice in Washington is $$$. Regular people don\'t have any so we get no voice. They have the big donors and private sector writing legislation that effects those industries. The fox is indeed guarding the hen house. The amount of public sector employees moving to the private sector (for increased wealth etc) who then turn around go back to work in the public sector is astonishing. This is the revolving door that they always talk about. You might recall Obama saying he was going to put a cap on hiring former lobbyists in his admin. That lasted all of about a week.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

phish4breakfast

• Spreading Chrimbus Cheer
« Reply #515 on: May 10, 2011, 12:44:32 pm »
Unfortunately I feel the dominant voice in the world is becoming $$$ not just Washington. It\'s because of facts like you present that I find no reason to beat myself up over this because in the grand scheme of things (tehehe) there isn\'t much I can do about the whole thing. All I can really do is get by one day at a time, and coming from a family of low income I probably won\'t ever have the level of comfort that these higher ups somehow get and "deserve"

Makes me just want to count down the days til the next show

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #516 on: May 10, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »
Big Corporations run the country, its a shame we can\'t just admit it and move on with our lives.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #517 on: May 10, 2011, 04:48:36 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;269138
Big Corporations run the country, its a shame we can\'t just admit it and do something about it.

:sadban:
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Reply #518 on: May 10, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »
Quote from: Gfunk;269141
Quote from: Igziabeher;269138
Big Corporations run the country, its a shame we can\'t just admit it and do something about it.

:sadban:

Donald Trump would disagree.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #519 on: May 11, 2011, 11:39:50 am »
there are plenty bigger corps than the Donald\'s horrible business acumen.