Author Topic: Phish in 2009  (Read 205391 times)

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
Phish in 2009
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:40:44 pm »
page at the jammys was pretty kick ass
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
Phish in 2009
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:19 pm »
tom marshall told some bfast newb (who traveled to NYC from texas for the first \'08 Sullivan show) not to worry, there will def be a tour in the next couple years.
peaches, where you at twith the ser gossip?
caress me, aunt jemima

peaches626

Phish in 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 03:42:38 pm »
haha, your totally gettin your stories mixed up...

at the show where you broke your foot there was:

1) A "bfast newb" from Long Island with a homemade-spray-painted phish t-shirt who told me the Tom Marshall story

and

2) A "bfast newb" from Texas who traveled to new york to see dumpstaphunk one night and the breakfast the next
taints rule, gypsies drool!

tyzack

• http://
Phish in 2009
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 04:35:33 pm »
I think that they should leave well-enough alone.

That\'s pretty much all I have to say on the topic of phish getting back together.

I think it would be alot cooler if instead of getting back together they\'d announce that they won\'t tour anymore but instead will devote all their time and effort to promoting/following on tour a sick nasty band from New Haven called The Breakfast...
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

derickw

• Drunken Garbage Can
Phish in 2009
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 08:24:38 am »
i\'d walk the lot..........
never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - ... / -.. .. -.-. -.-

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
Phish in 2009
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »
There is no doubt they will reunite.  With Trey having been on probation and unable to tour, he has got to be hurting financially.  For that reason (aka "the money"), Phish will tour again.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Phish in 2009
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 01:03:04 pm »
Quote from: Marcial;191644
There is no doubt they will reunite.  With Trey having been on probation and unable to tour, he has got to be hurting financially.  For that reason (aka "the money"), Phish will tour again.

i doubt trey is hurting financially after a 3 year probation.  Coventry alone grossed over 13 million dollars.  Phish was in the top 20 highest grossing bands i believe every year from 1998 on that they were actively touring.  I would guess Trey\'s current net worth is close to/over 50 million dollars.
DS Newbers

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
Phish in 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 01:12:22 pm »
I\'ll be there if (or when) it happens.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Phish in 2009
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 05:47:45 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;191646

i doubt trey is hurting financially after a 3 year probation.  Coventry alone grossed over 13 million dollars.  Phish was in the top 20 highest grossing bands i believe every year from 1998 on that they were actively touring.  I would guess Trey\'s current net worth is close to/over 50 million dollars.

Figure they have to shell out for:

The land, equipment, a huge crew (30+/-), lodging and feeding that crew, management, security, distribution, promotion, electricity, waste and water, TAXES etc. etc.  

Each band member prob. waked away with $300-400k after taxes.  Not a bad weekend gig, but not set for life money.  Because album sales were never that strong (Lawn Boy never went platinium, think about that) I doubt these guys ever made more than 1-2 million each in their best years.  They earned a damn nice living, and could have set themselves up for life, but that money can go fast.  Especially when you\'re an addict.

They don\'t get radio play like Led Zep or the Stones so residual album sales aren\'t bringing in the royalties. They were never the merch machine GD was.  They made their money touring, and when funds get low they\'ll be back.

Phish Tour 2010.  Count on it.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
Phish in 2009
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 08:09:44 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;191698
Quote from: ds673488;191646

Figure they have to shell out for:

The land, equipment, a huge crew (30+/-), lodging and feeding that crew, management, security, distribution, promotion, electricity, waste and water, TAXES etc. etc.  

Each band member prob. waked away with $300-400k after taxes.  Not a bad weekend gig, but not set for life money.  Because album sales were never that strong (Lawn Boy never went platinium, think about that) I doubt these guys ever made more than 1-2 million each in their best years.  They earned a damn nice living, and could have set themselves up for life, but that money can go fast.  Especially when you\'re an addict.

They don\'t get radio play like Led Zep or the Stones so residual album sales aren\'t bringing in the royalties. They were never the merch machine GD was.  They made their money touring, and when funds get low they\'ll be back.

Exactly.  No way Trey is worth anywhere close to $50M.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Phish in 2009
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 10:31:08 pm »
trust me, youd be really suprised how much bands make when they are selling out arenas 2 or 3 nights a week at 40 beans a ticket.
DS Newbers

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Phish in 2009
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 10:49:32 pm »
I have definitely caught myself lately telling people how much I am fiending for another Phish show.  It\'s been especially bad this year, I think because I started listening to Phish again for the first time in 4 years.  I found a stash of old tapes (tapes!) when I moved in February and have been eating them up in the car, then I started to DL shows again and everything.  Another aspect of the resurgence has been dating someone for the past 6 months who has no clue about Phish.  I find it difficult to try and adequately explain that chapter of of my life to her.  But all that talking about Phish, trying to convey what it meant to me and my friends, recounting Phish war stories, has reawoken me to how great it all was.  

I would have to go to the first 4 shows I could at any cost.  I wouldn\'t be able to help myself.  I could then decide from there what they\'re worth and what I would do to go to more, if any.  

I\'m pretty skeptical about what the quality of the shows would be.  The catalog is just SO huge and SO complex...I don\'t think they could ever recover more than a small fraction of it without a solid year of practice, and that\'s not gonna happen.  

There are certainly a lot of new songs I like, but the real heat for me personally is every song earlier than Farmhouse, and that\'s the stuff that\'s going to be lost.  

I have said since Coventry that I am satisfied and content with what I got out of my life with Phish and that I would not be disappointed if it never happened again.  This is still true.  But if it does ever happen, I will have no choice but to give them a 4-show shot, and there would be nothing better in the world than to see them capitalize on it.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Phish in 2009
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 12:16:32 am »
Phish can\'t be about the $$... i refuse to believe it. Trey said he wanted to disband because of creative decisions and didn\'t want to reunite like some starving artists we see these days (stones, police, zep, van halen) and I respect him completely for saying that. Of course financial reasons come into play, and paying to feed your children is completely different than trying to get rich like many in this fucked up thing we call the music industry.

About the music, wolf, I really liked what you said. You by far have seen more shows than me but I\'ve been a Phish fan since I was 8 (\'92ish). It\'s completely different music now, and I think at this point in my life I\'m all about promoting bands of my friends (the jersey royale, welcome to florida, the flo\', and the goshen ramblers to name a few) and THE BREAKFAST of course because they are the chillest and most talented motherfuckers that i know on this planet. LET the good music continue forever.

P.S. foo fighters at red rocks 7/14... my first foo/red rocks show... im gonna flip out
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

tyzack

Phish in 2009
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 09:39:51 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;191717
I have said since Coventry that I am satisfied and content with what I got out of my life with Phish and that I would not be disappointed if it never happened again.  This is still true.

I agree 10,000%

Quote from: Bill Hicks
"After you\'ve been taken aboard a flying saucer, it\'s kind of hard to top that."

That\'s how I feel about my days and years following Phish.
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Phish in 2009
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 10:14:18 am »
Quote from: wildcoyote;191698

In 2010, watch it go to fire. It\'s evolution, baby.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke