Author Topic: (Disco) Biscuits for Breakfast(.info)  (Read 41515 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
(Disco) Biscuits for Breakfast(.info)
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2009, 01:38:01 pm »
Quote from: zuke583;244309
glad to know you guys can have a sense of humor about this stuff

::rolls eyes::

There\'s a difference in being self effacing and joking. I\'m pretty sure this guy thinks he\'s being funny but the  arrogance shines through and for someone not that great at his instrument that\'s what\'s funny.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

dannybiscuits

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »
I am pretty sure that everyone who commented negatively about that interview has completely misinterpreted the interview. First of all I am sure this was all said tongue in cheek. Barber definitely was not talking shit about phish. The disco biscuits love phish Let us not forget that starting off they covered phish frequently. Let us also not forget that at the jammy\'s much of disco biscuits were in the "headcount allstars" playing maze, wilson, and run like an antelope. Before playing maze Brownstein says "when they asked me to do this I called a few of my firends to see if they were crazy enough to do this with me" which to me means crazy enough to attempt to play phish infront of phish(who I believe received the lifetime achievment award that night).

As far as the disco biscuits naming their sound, they pretty much coined trance-fusion as their sound, it is everyone else that would like to mix all of these bands that most of us like into "jam bands". I am sure that after so many years of being called a "jamband" you start to say whatever the fuck you want in regards to it.

Here is the Headcount Allstars playing maze. Its not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-eiLNOAbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGdKB1Ot5o
I scratch my mind I think about life and stuff sometimes but shits ruff!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2009, 01:52:08 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;244315
Zuke I got a sense of humor brah... I\'m literally laughing out loud at the dudes claim that they are "super" compared to Phish :lol:

they started as a phish/dead/zappa cover band. i promise you they have tons and tons of respect for those bands. i mean if you read the term "super jam band" and continued to take the article seriously after that, then you may want to lighten up a little.
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

ulee

• Psygned in
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2009, 02:02:07 pm »
Quote from: leith;244306

How Do You know it\'s sexy? It\'s not the Disco Biscuits.

The above statement is False.

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »
Well...being familiar with Barber, his sense of humor, and previous interviews, I got a big laugh out of this.

I understand how someone who doesn\'t know this guy could interpret that as "douchey", but he is just trying to be funny.  I seriously doubt by dubbing the Biscuits as a "super jam band" he meant to say they are better than Phish or GD or whatever...in fact, he might have described it as that just to get a rise out of someone who would take it literally.

If someone could find the interview that Diana did during the NYE run last year with him you\'ll see what I\'m talking about.  It\'s like a stream of unconscious thought.  Whatever comes to his head first.

In regards to the electronic/computer element of their sound...i think its great.  They need to add this.  Their sound is still growing and evolving.  They had gone as far as they can as a "non-super jamband".  They obviously have had a certain level of success (in fact more success than 90% of bands in the scene) and I think that makes me respect what they are doing now even more.  They are still experimenting and consistently taking chances.  Sure...sometimes you are going to have an off song, segment, or show, but it is completely worth it for the payoff when you get it right.  You run the risk of alienating some of your core fanbase, but at least your music doesn\'t become stagnant.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BAND!

2009 was amazing.  I loved getting to see PHish again and there is no experience like them out there, but Phish is PHish.  They are safe.  They really aren\'t going to push the boundaries farther than they already have.  They seem less interested in evolving the sound and just content in playing music.

Best interview ever!:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1069177974894
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:43:16 pm by NickNels »
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2009, 02:43:52 pm »
Quote from: ulee;244323
Quote from: leith;244306

How Do You know it\'s sexy? It\'s not the Disco Biscuits.

The above statement is False.

i think this exchange pretty much sums up the point barber is trying to make. these days, they\'re trying to appeal to the ulees of the world, because they\'ve already got enough leiths. as a fan of the band, i\'m happy with that choice
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2009, 03:13:33 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;244325

I loved getting to see PHish again and there is no experience like them out there, but Phish is PHish.  They are safe.  They really aren\'t going to push the boundaries farther than they already have.  They seem less interested in evolving the sound and just content in playing music.

Well said my friend. I think that is why I have no desire to see Phish, because it all seems too boring now. I miss the spontaneity.

Quote from: dannybiscuits;244320
I am pretty sure that everyone who commented negatively about that interview has completely misinterpreted the interview. First of all I am sure this was all said tongue in cheek. Barber definitely was not talking shit about phish. The disco biscuits love phish Let us not forget that starting off they covered phish frequently. Let us also not forget that at the jammy\'s much of disco biscuits were in the "headcount allstars" playing maze, wilson, and run like an antelope. Before playing maze Brownstein says "when they asked me to do this I called a few of my firends to see if they were crazy enough to do this with me" which to me means crazy enough to attempt to play phish infront of phish(who I believe received the lifetime achievment award that night).

I was going to say something similar to this, but you summed it up nicely. The Biscuits def have huge respect for Phish. Barber is being completely sarcastic in this interview, and I found it humorous. And this is coming from a guy who isn\'t a huge biscuits fan (despite my handle). Bdfree you\'re also very right, computers don\'t make you a better musician by any means, but they do add an element to music that the Biscuits have pioneered.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:13:33 pm by Vassillios »
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2009, 03:49:01 pm »
Gimme a break I\'m pretty sure lots of German rock bands, not to mention STS9 pioneered adding electronic tidbits to improvisational live music.

I hear the claim that Disco Biscuits "invented the genre" over and over... but I thought they started out as more or less a normal jam-band and didn\'t really start getting electronic until the early 2000\'s ... by which point STS9 was already all about this stuff.

I wasn\'t overall blown away by Phish 2009 summer tour, nor do I feel they are writing as creative and progressive music as they once were. However that doesn\'t seem to be what it\'s all about... the band is getting their chemistry back and Trey\'s chops improved pretty consistently over the course of the tour. They\'re positioned to show people what a "super jam band" really is once again.

Then again I prefer the organic over the electronic. I could listen to Neil Young jam away at age 70 or whatever for hours.

I always assumed the Biscuits must have massive respect for Phish. That\'s why I was surprised to see the statement above! Maybe I\'m not tuned in to their tongue-in-cheek humor but I think statements like that are pretty retarded and overly cocky regardless. Like how much coke did the guy blow right before saying that, really? Could see how a serious Biscuits fan would see that as a half-joke, but to an objective observer... "that\'s just dick"
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Vassillios

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2009, 03:54:28 pm »
^All in all, we know what band we\'re really here for, right?

that\'s all that matters.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2009, 04:02:59 pm »
I\'m pulling for a Soundgarden and RATM reunion, personally

Ozric Tentacles, anyone? :lol:

STS9 on archive from 1998:
http://www.archive.org/details/sts91998-04-18.sbd.flac16

Just sayin Biscuits didn\'t "invent the genre" like I hear over and over again :P
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

siflandollie

• Victory to RAGE
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »
I thought that was pretty funny.  Clearly he was joking.  Girls on cell phones?  Super-jam-bands?  Nerd vs. Sexy music?  

I guess if you don\'t like the biscuits you will take anything they say as being arrogant/douchy/whatever.  Part of the reason the interview is so funny is because some people will take it seriously.  

And if you check out through that website the writer has written a bunch of articles about a bunch of other bands that are pretty similar.  Umph is not a "jam band", they are a "progressive Jam band".  Perhaps the interviewer was a dope and Barber had a joke at her expense?

I have found that many Bisco fans will quickly tell you that they did not invent a genre, and are generally pretty informed about the music that influenced tDB.  The ones that try to claim they invented some new thing are n00bs and/or drug addicts.  Watch out for these people, because there are plenty of them around.

Personally I think bisco does their thing well, nice to hear them challenging themselves musically recently, I had all but written them off a few years back.  The vocals still suck though.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2009, 04:54:41 pm »
I like that song Mirrors. Think it could probably top the charts in Japan!

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »
Day 16:

Some more contemporary Biscuits for ya.

THis is set I from the most recent show they played in BKNY.  I don\'t think this was the best show of the run, but I really enjoyed it at the show and listening back to it the other night.  Brooklyn Bowl is a really sweet venue.  Recently renovated, bowling lanes, good sound and reasonable drink prices...Swanky!

The Disco Biscuits 10-11-09; Brooklyn Bowl, BKNY

I: Intro, Loose Change, Pimp Blue Rikki > Mindless Dribble > Minions > King of the World > Mindless Dribble > King of the World

Loose Change and Pimp Blue Rikki are new songs.  The set really starts to get going right at the start of the Dribble Segment.  Minions might be my favorite new song right now.

Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N56NB8IZ (SBD 320)

The 4 day New England run was a blast.  I\'ll try to get some more sets/shows/highlighs up as they become available.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »
Quote from: leith;244222

Wow they are incredibly repetitive and boring.

Thats fine Leith. Go listen to eyes of the world for the 9,539th time since jerry died 15 years ago complete with the uber sick spacey noodley jam they throw on it.  cuz that just never gets old or boring.  ;)

Vassillios

« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2009, 08:51:00 pm »
Quote from: Klout;244385
Quote from: leith;244222

Wow they are incredibly repetitive and boring.

Thats fine Leith. Go listen to eyes of the world for the 9,539th time since jerry died 15 years ago complete with the uber sick spacey noodley jam they throw on it.  cuz that just never gets old or boring.  ;)

for realz. the dead are the epitome of boring for me.