Author Topic: Best of \'03 review  (Read 1483 times)

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
Best of \'03 review
« on: January 14, 2004, 04:09:47 am »
I figured I\'d let you guys pick this apart before the guys at jambands.com have a chance to, here you go....

PB 6/14/03

If there’s one thing I learned through my numerous adventures to random concerts in 2003, its that great things can happen at any place and any time.  Surely, big festivals and holidays can be the catalyst to an amazing show, but more often than not greatness strives when you least expect it.  Take a particular evening this past summer for example.  I had stumbled into the Living Room(quite possibly the world’s seediest bar) like I had on so many other nights ready for another great showing from Psychedelic Breakfast.  It was around 11:15 when I arrived, and I knew the band would be starting at any moment.  

Before I continue on with the review, let me explain why I gravitate towards the morning meal of psychedelics.  More often that not, I’m that overly particular jamband fan with a pen in my pocket ready to pick apart the setlist, song-timings, and various other statistics that make each show different than any other.  When I go to see PB though, I am just the opposite.  Song names and orders and timings mean nothing to me.  This is where I let it all hang loose.  I go for the sheer fact that I enjoy this band’s music as much as any other band and they have yet to and remain far from letting me down.

But, for those sticklers at home here is that particular night’s setlist:

June 14th, 2003 – The Living Room; Providence, RI
I: Escher\'s Etchings > Buquebus > See The Light > Buquebus > Hush, Score > Gravity > Score
II: LDZ > Phaddy Boom Baddy, Dig, Peace Frog > Rufus > Drunk Monk Bar
E: Fire

The band started out ready to please and they did nonstop for quite a while.  They effortlessly moved from song to song back to the previous song as if it was written to be played that way.  After a while, they settled into a groove that sounded hauntingly familiar, a song I soon thereafter came to realize was Deep Purple’s Hush right before the opening lyrics kicked in.  The Breakfast never fails to surprise me on a night to night basis with their stunning array of cover tunes; this one, like most others, featured Tim Palmeiri taking the song to the the max with his virtuosic guitar skills.  

The sandwich that followed helped me realize that I was apart of something big here.  I felt as though I was at Nectar’s in 1984 or an acid test in 1965.  It was as though I was in on a big joke that only about 100 other brave souls who gathered at the Living Room understood.  We’d all leave with a mutual understanding that anyone who wasn’t there just had no clue what they had missed.

I took a well needed breather during the setbreak and was brought back to life with the thick reggae beats of Phaddy Boom Baddy.  Although not the most inspiring tune ever written, it certainly is fun, and isn’t that what this scene is all about in the first place.  The Peace Frog cover helped me realize that this band from New Haven would leave their blood in the streets in the town of Providence.  If that wasn’t enough, they extended the set long past curfew with a couple PB staples that kept everyone on their toes.

The band left the stage and the small crowd gave their appreciation.  They were allowed an encore and capped off our night perfectly with a stunning rendition of Fire.  Now, I’ve heard many Fire’s in my day (namely by Phish, moe., and Medeski Martin & Wood), but this version envoked the spirit of Jimi Hendrix like no other before it.  For those of you who haven’t had a chance to check out Psychedelic Breakfast before, certainly do so.  Although still young, their talent and popularity will continue to grow exponentially over the next few years.