Author Topic: the Sopranos\' next two seasons -- Spoilers Within -- You have been warned.  (Read 1529 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
\'Sopranos\' days are numbered

HOLLYWOOD - Don\'t sit around waiting for more of "The Sopranos" beyond a planned 10 episodes in season six.
Series creator David Chase and star James Gandolfini dashed those hopes yesterday while fielding questions from the Television Critics Association.

When talk came up about extending the show beyond its planned finale - the fifth season of 13 episodes starts March 7, with the final 10 going into production next year - Gandolfini rolled his eyes.

Even Chase, asked whether a previously discussed idea of a "Sopranos" movie was still a possibility, seemed to close the door.

"I think this last 10 episodes," Chase said, referring to the concluding miniseason, "will be that movie. That\'s the plan."

Chase said the sixth season will bring the story - and the show - to a definite end.

"I\'m not ready to say goodbye to the character," Gandolfini said. "But I\'m not going to miss him. When it\'s over the right way, I\'ll see you later."

Getting plot details from Chase & Co. is about as tough as cracking mob code, but the producer did share a few nuggets:

Tony Soprano\'s sidekick Furio, who left for Italy last season, won\'t be back.

The Russian mobster Paulie and Christopher chased in the memorable Pine Barrens episode won\'t return.

Tony and Carmela (Edie Falco) will still be separated when the season starts.

A lot of made mobsters, imprisoned during the RICO cases of the 1980s, will get out of jail and hit the streets - including Steve Buscemi, who has directed several episodes, in the new role of Tony\'s cousin Tony Blundetto.
The overall focus this season "has to do with the limitations of family relationships and friendships in a materialist world. And Tony Soprano is kind of a mature boss," Chase said. "He\'s not quite a lion in winter, but he\'s been doing this for quite a while now."

Gandolfini talked about the difficulty of filming emotional scenes last season in which Tony Soprano and Carmela fought and separated. "Having gone through something similar personally, it was difficult having to drudge those things up," he said, referring to his own marital split.

Falco was as tight-lipped as Chase and Gandolfini about plot points. "[Carmela is] a woman going through her life, you know," Falco said. "As far as where they lead, you\'ve got to get HBO."

Buscemi was the only cast member to reveal anything at all. Asked about his character\'s fate, Buscemi, making a reference to the decapitation of Joe Pantoliano\'s Ralph Cifaretto last season, joked, "I keep my head, if that\'s what you mean."

Other fifth-season guest stars, include Robert Loggia, David Strathairn, Polly Bergen, Joe Santos, Tim Daly and Frankie Valli.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ent_radio/story/153104p-134763c.html