Author Topic: Setlist: 2003-12-31 - Toads Place; New Haven, CT  (Read 10445 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Setlist: 2003-12-31 - Toads Place; New Haven, CT
« on: January 01, 2004, 05:39:00 am »
well, soundcheck anyway:
pb soundcheck 12-31-03

carnevil 9*, auld lang syne*, Vera st.,Carevil 9, ...^

Set 1: Mayfly Disarray,  [...]

sorry kiddies, thats where i left :(
*These two songs were played over an hour earlier than the rest of soundcheck, and were instrumental. They were played right after the band had set up but before Toads crew was ready.
^This was the new song first played tonight. Adrien told me the name, but I forgot.
Vera St. was sound checked with acoustic guitarist from Bunji also. Carevil 9 is an Emerson Lake and Palmer song (welcome back my friends/to the show that never ends), first time played.
someone else can post the rest of the setlist. hope everyone had a great show and remember I was already back in work when you were just starting to think of going to sleep, you bastards. hahaha
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 05:32:07 am by FrankZappa »
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
Setlist: 12/31/03 - Toads Place; New Haven, CT
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 05:22:36 pm »
I: May Fly Disarray, No Glove No Love, Madness*#, The Chase, Vera Street**, The Vermont Song^

II: Dimension 5*, Carnevil 9 > Attraction To Shade Ditty, Funk > New Year\'s Countdown > Auld Lang Syne > jam > Taboo Or Not Taboot, Superfly Phaddy Fat, Dig, See The Light^^ > Sleeping Beauty, Moby Dick, Gladys Pimp & Kangaroos With Me > Merge > Fairy, Wild Pack Of Asscracks, Great Big Fiery Ball In The Sky

E: Folsom Prison Blues, Beef Barley, Rufus > Rockin\' In The Free World

note: there may be something missing between GBFBITS and the encore - i lost the setlist! d\'oh!

Code: [Select]
[i] * first time played.
 # working title (may or may not become \'Inner Glimpse\'.
** with Mike Greenberg from Bunji on acoustic guitar.
 ^ with ______ on guitar and ______ on keys.
^^ inverted; unfinished.[/i]

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Re: Setlist: 12/31/03 - Toads Place; New Haven, CT
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 06:23:07 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
note: there may be something missing between GBFBITS and the encore - i lost the setlist! d\'oh!
^ with ______ on guitar and ______ on keys.
[/i][/b]
Whoa whoa whoa!  What is that?  Archivist is SLACKING!  Way to blow it on NYE!  Couldn\'t hang with the 3 hour set, eh Pec?  Clearly he\'s lost a step.  And what were you keeping the setlist on that you lost it...a napkin?  Don\'t you usually email it to yourself in real time by hooking the cell phone into the palm pilot, then back it up on the laptop by speaking it into the audience mics?  If this happens again you\'re canned.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 06:27:26 pm by Wolfman »

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The review
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 07:00:13 pm »
Wow, what a night.  Got home at 11am on no sleep!  The show was a lot of fun.  The musical highlight of the night was the two new tunes.  Both Madness and Dimension 5 are songs that fill in new niches for the band.  Each song can be used to create moods and levels that were previously unavailable, which is a great sign.  As with all new songs, it will take about 4-5 live playings before the set placement and live accentuations are hammered down.  I look forward to hearing these again.  Second set was an Iron Fan endurance contest, especially when combined with the 40 minute encore.  All in all it was about 3.5 straight hours.  Funk was decent as the last song before midnight, though I might have preferred to see Attraction stretch out into this spot.  TONT was a great call for the NYE song.  Everyone was totally rompin\'.  There is no other PB song or cover right now that I would have picked over TONT to fill this spot.  See the Light had a really cool lead-in jam.  The inverted version is pretty cool!   The drum solo in Moby Dick was one of the all-time greats.  There were 3 distinct lives to it.  The first was a fast-paced toms rally with a steady jungle beat behind it.  Then he kept this going while switching to the handdrum.  Finally, there was the roof-shattering blur of methodical berzerkitude.   Rufus was the best jam of the night hands-down...I can\'t believe they had the energy to rage this song out that deep into the night.  Wait, no, I can believe it.  Overall a very strong showing from the band.

Great to meet kindms, realisthis, and bluefunkbhudda.  (First names withheld, though I do remember them)  Also nice to re-meet a lot of people I haven\'t seen in a long time, particularly some Hollis people.      

The post-show hotel was a lot of fun.  Thanks to Mark and Evelyn for so graciously sacrificing an evening of hot New Year\'s love so that a bunch of plastered PB hooligans could party in their room until sunlight.  Genius Of The Year award was locked up about 3 hours into the year by Todd for setting off the hotel fire alarm and getting the entire New Haven Fire Deparment sent to the hotel by smoking a bowl in the elevator.  Who brought the smart kids?  PB, of course!

Thanks to all for a great evening, see you in 2004!
Wolfman
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 11:24:33 pm by Wolfman »

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 07:10:59 pm »
thanks for the review, wolfman. since i couldn\'t be at the show, i especially appreciate it. sounds like a great time, which was to be expected. todd -- hahahahah!! that\'s absolutely hillarious! are you gonna post pics??

davepeck

• Administrator
Re: Re: Setlist: 12/31/03 - Toads Place; New Haven, CT
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 08:28:13 pm »
Originally posted by Wolfman
[/i]
Whoa whoa whoa!  What is that?  Archivist is SLACKING!  Way to blow it on NYE!  Couldn\'t hang with the 3 hour set, eh Pec?  Clearly he\'s lost a step.  And what were you keeping the setlist on that you lost it...a napkin?  Don\'t you usually email it to yourself in real time by hooking the cell phone into the palm pilot, then back it up on the laptop by speaking it into the audience mics?  If this happens again you\'re canned. [/B]

:lol:

well, i don\'t feel bad, especially since members of pb don\'t even know the names of the people who sat in with them! :)

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 10:00:19 pm »
my main man pierce was the excellent guitar player and i didnt even see a keyboard player.pierce is electric mayhems guiter whiz.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 01:30:43 am »
that was truly a monster of a show. couldnt have been better, unless a few more hundred people came...but thoes there were treated to some SER fukin songs and jams that followed. it was a blast. Nice to meet the girl from Chicago..Taneal? and happpy new year!  Lets hope PB makes a serious impact in 2004 and beyond.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 08:56:13 am »
What a time to get the fucking flu!  $50 (three tickets) wasted and I didn\'t even get to see the damn show.  I\'m the one who mentioned "Karn Evil 9" (in some other thread) and they have to go and play it while I\'m lying on my couch coughing up a lung.  Not that I\'m bitter, it\'s just that... actually, screw it, in this case I am bitter. :) Sounds like it was a blast.  I\'ll see you all on Wednesday at Tim\'s next acoustic show.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 08:58:58 am »
I almost forgot to ask, who wore the most pimped out NYE threads?
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 09:24:42 am »
best threads award from what I saw:

Winner: Tim Palmeri for his \'Mexican Wedding Shirt\'
Runner up: Mark for the bow tie and a pb t-shirt
Honorary mention: Dave Peck for \'The man in Black\'
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 11:30:13 am by FrankZappa »
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 10:01:50 am »
i thought i was pretty pimped out, myself... :(

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 11:28:46 am »
haha, yea dave i almost put you on the list.  appended.

daffodil

• http://phishhook.com/lists/antelope5
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 12:26:08 pm »
actually that bowl was smoked right there in the hallway, apparently right under the smoke detector.  oops.  lol

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 02:38:31 pm »
jill,you were there???hey todd,after you turn 47 years old dont you think you wouldve known better than doing something stupid like that???????
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set