Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-07-11 - Sullivan Hall; New York, NY  (Read 7987 times)

thatguy

Setlist: 2008-07-11 - Sullivan Hall; New York, NY
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 01:34:17 am »
Quote from: Me!;195893
I hate to get this train rolling (after the Toad\'s thread) but my curiosity gets the best of me.  

Turnout?

120 paid chris.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 01:53:49 am »
Quote from: thatguy;195918
Quote from: Me!;195893
I hate to get this train rolling (after the Toad\'s thread) but my curiosity gets the best of me.  

Turnout?

120 paid chris.

shit looks like dangle had a nice night !
*Gia*

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 02:02:44 pm »
awesome show.  i enjoyed every song. i think OE might be my favorite song ever by any band, especially when they play it like that. great to see language make a comeback. really digging eschers 3/4...i like these two more than 1/2. scheme with cobb was awesome, prob my highlight (even if jim was out of tune for about 1.2 seconds). i\'m not going to say i couldn\'t have written a better setlist, but i certainly couldn\'t ask for better, more energetic playing. i wish more people could have enjoyed the show, because even this band\'s most epic moments just don\'t translate to tape
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Ren

• what?
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 07:19:32 pm »
i had a good time.  small turnout.  great playing.  escher\'s 4 is one of my favorites for the moment.  language was ok.  grand scheme was insane.  i had my doubts at first.  i could get used to that song with two guitars.  someone made us late so we sadly missed hlh and synergy.  

coma>oe was exactly what i was looking to hear, cuz i had a feeling, or maybe hoped that they\'d play oe, but never thought they\'d have it come out of coma again.  and i hoped that hlh would either fit in at the end of oe or the end of an encore if there was time.  

i was not disappointed by this show in any way.  could\'ve use a few more heads but whatever.

i can\'t get over how lauren brought a guy i graduated h.s. with, even more strange is that he used to play with chris...weird.
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 12:58:44 am »
wow, what a setlist. looks/sounds lke it was a great show. jim cobb, you da man. good on you for throwing down on scheme, living every fan\'s dream

ok, just listeneed to the scheme a fewtimes. DAMN son!! beautiful shit right there. you da man, wish i could\'ve been there
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:23:46 am by Lexington »
caress me, aunt jemima

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:03 am »
thanks for the kind words.  it was a LOT of fun.  i thought i could have played better, but i\'m my own worst critic.  scheme is an awesome tune, and it was great to recreate a lot of the album harmonies. (wish my guitar was a tad quieter in the recording, but i guess when tim\'s got a 100watt amp with a 4x12 cab and i have a 50watt amp with a 2x10 cab, more of the latter needs to run through the board...)
Postcount +1.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 02:53:55 pm »
Jim you nailed the harmonies man... sounded real good
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 03:32:21 pm »
I enjoyed it and thought it was a ser showing as well Jim. And you know I am not bullshitin ya ;)

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 04:17:10 pm »
oh yeah i rehearsed all the written parts pretty thoroughly, it was the solo section i thought i could have been a little smoother and more lyrical with.  its tough playing next to such a technically proficient player.  i find myself feeling like i need to bust out all the tricks i have in my tool chest, and losing the intuitive lyricism and melodic sense that\'s generally more important than busting out whole tone scales or tritone substitutions, etc.  i wish i had more opportunities to improvise with guys that are way better than me.  i don\'t get to do it as often as i\'d like....
Postcount +1.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »
Quote from: Jim Cobb;196129
oh yeah i rehearsed all the written parts pretty thoroughly, it was the solo section i thought i could have been a little smoother and more lyrical with.  its tough playing next to such a technically proficient player.  i find myself feeling like i need to bust out all the tricks i have in my tool chest, and losing the intuitive lyricism and melodic sense that\'s generally more important than busting out whole tone scales or tritone substitutions, etc.  i wish i had more opportunities to improvise with guys that are way better than me.  i don\'t get to do it as often as i\'d like....

I hear ya man... i\'d be nervous as hell playing next to Tim, and I\'d do the same thing... thinking I needed to shred the solo and go balls out when you really just need to play your style and let it flow. I thought the solo was great  though, definitely brought a different vibe to the song
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 01:16:48 pm »
I went to a lot of great B\'Fast shows this summer.  I\'m really loving the new lineup, but this was my favorite show of the summer.

Really, really tight throughout.  Synergy and Escher\'s are probably my 2 favorite new tunes.  OE and HLH were great too.  Plus Fitz SBD is amazing.

Out of the shows i attended this summer, i would rank:

1. 7/11 Sullivan Hall
2. 8/22 Mill Street(mostly for the second set)
3. 8/15 Daniel Street
4. 8/30 The Field
5. 6/28 The Field (still a great show)
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »
Quote from: NickNels;201497
I went to a lot of great B\'Fast shows this summer.  I\'m really loving the new lineup, but this was my favorite show of the summer.

Really, really tight throughout.  Synergy and Escher\'s are probably my 2 favorite new tunes.  OE and HLH were great too.  Plus Fitz SBD is amazing.

Out of the shows i attended this summer, i would rank:

1. 7/11 Sullivan Hall
2. 8/22 Mill Street(mostly for the second set)
3. 8/15 Daniel Street
4. 8/30 The Field
5. 6/28 The Field (still a great show)

go back to bisco tour!

NickNels

• \"That\'s a Deeeewwwww!\"
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »
go back to bisco tour!

Maybe I will...Way too many sober heads in the Breakfast scene.  At the Field last week I asked some chick where I could score some DeemZ and she said she didn\'t know.  

I sarcasticly said, "Gee you\'re cool," gave her the finger and headed out of that place.  Luckily I heard some J. Geil\'s from the bar across the street and headed there.
"After some fun times, Luke spacedocked Marissa."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 03:41:21 pm »
d00d i saw j geils band last summer...played the sickest \'centerfold\' ever. i boofed sooo much ***** i almost shat myself when they peaked

LeFou

• seen the light
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »
This bump will probably go unnoticed, but I just realized that:

A) On paper this is basically my dream/ideal set list - all my favorites - HLH (sandwich!), Synergy, favorite EE (3), TLOTG, OE.

B) This was my first ever Breakfast show.

Mind = blown. Hoping TLOTG comes full circle for me tonight; was this the last time it was played?