Author Topic: new rage album!  (Read 4619 times)

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
new rage album!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2003, 11:43:34 am »
ha ha ha TMM, linkin park and good charlotte aren\'t really even punk bands... they\'re, god, I don\'t now what they are... crap? I think he was just kidding. However, don\'t knock live punk too much; have you ever been to a punk show? Riotous good times.
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
new rage album!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2003, 12:19:41 pm »
sorry joc, but i just cant picture you headbanding at a punk show... punk shows are great to go to every now and then, but they dont make for great live recordings... unless your the clash and its london calling

I LIVE BY THE RIVER!
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

gitCHu ONe.

• I reckon y\'all fixin to..
    • http://www.gitchuone.com
yes indeed there was some sarcasim...
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2003, 03:44:04 pm »
I have seen many a punk rock show/played in punk rock shows/recorded live punk rock shows.... but that\'s beside the point.

After being well-conditioned into the likings of improvisational jamming, a friend of mine bought me a ticket to see Incubus. I figured, what the hell? I don\'t own anything by the band, but I have heard them on the radio too many damn times to not know what some of the songs were going to be played.

After the show all I could say was, "Yep. They played all the hits from the radio, (1), all the songs sounded correct, no technically misdoings in playing each song (2), and (3) all the songs sounded exactly as they do on any of their studio recordings." Nothing had changed. Beyong all that... the show I saw was the same show from the night before, and the night after and so on... i personally would get bored playing that same shit everynight.

Well I was dissappointed to say the least. It wasn\'t the bands\' fault, because they don\'t play any improv or jams for that matter. Each song as short and sweet as they were written.

I dunno... for some reason I like to see the songs get changed up a bit. PB, Phish, the Dead, you can recognize which song is being played, but for the most part, it is way different than the last time the song was played live. Ya\'ll follow?

Thus, we in the show going community, can do such things as go on a three week run with a band, and never see the same show twice. You may hear a repeat of a song, but it is still different than the first time you saw it being played.

This is never true with the industry standard Top 40 rock tunes/punk/rap.

At least Rage spawned a lot of the new Top 40 bullshit and is not a product of it.

btw.... my favorite punk rock band/album is as follows....
The Dwarves -- Blood, Guts, and hoo haa
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 03:48:48 pm by gitCHu ONe. »
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
new rage album!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2003, 08:58:47 pm »
That\'s a blanket statement if I\'ve ever heard of one.  Go to every show on a bruce springsteen tour and you\'ll never get the same show twice.  You may get the same 12-13 song core but there are another 10-12 songs that will vary from night to night.  And if you see bruce during the next tour it\'ll be even more different because he will have re-tooled the songs.  So let\'s drop the universal statements.  The only one you can make is that the allman brothers, max creek and the late hubinger street sucked ass.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

gitCHu ONe.

• I reckon y\'all fixin to..
    • http://www.gitchuone.com
new rage album!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2003, 01:51:35 am »
I dunno if the last post was at all directed to me or not, but if so... i am not talking about Springstein.
I am talking about the much more recent disgrace that our national radio stations/MtV are producing. This is more along the lines of SoD, Puddle of Shit, Slipknot, Sum41, etc, etc, etc.... It\'s all music that came out of the popularity of Rage, Korn, Slayer, etc. So much so that these groups aren\'t even given as much respect as they once had. All these new groups make up yet another new genre that I have been so far out of the loop for so long that I don\'t even know what to call it.  The only thing I do know is that music from 12 of these bands, could easily be played by one band, and no one would know the difference.
The only reason I feel this way, really, is because I play in a band that practices in a storage garage, where, all around us, there are other bands that are infatuated with the glamour or whatever of groups like these... and to me... it all sounds like shitting. Yea! more and more bar chords. Too many to handle.  That\'s all i can ramble about this.........

gitChu ONe
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
new rage album!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2003, 06:05:02 pm »
pshh, what are you talking about Paul!? I can hold my own at a punk show; I\'m tougher than I look. he he he. You are right about one thing though: I don\'t headbang. Mostly just leap around alot.... which I guess isn\'t very different from what I do at non-punk shows anyhow.

I agree with you about live recordings. I was talking more about the live experience, as in, being there in person. The energy is what I like about it, even more than the music itself. I don\'t really have any desire to listen to that stuff on the stereo; I just like thrashing around to it with a bunch of other looney tooney crazies.

Yeah, pop music sucks now. If I had a penis I\'d tell Top 40 to suck it.

TMM, I don\'t think you need to worry too much about getting your point about improv music across. I think everyone here agrees with you in that regard.

However, I would like to take this moment to make this reminder: music doesn\'t have to be technical, and there doesn\'t have to be improv., for it to be good! I am so sick of all of the music snobs out there (especially in the "jam band" community) who are constantly writing off bands because their songs aren\'t technical enough. Yes, a Zappa-esque composition is mind boggling. But, a simple song can be beautiful too. I guess all I\'m trying to say is that I consider a song to be good if it moves me or challenges me in some way or another, be it emotionally or intellectually. Screw everything else.
Masturbation in the MFA

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
new rage album!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2003, 01:14:03 am »
Originally posted by jocelyn
However, I would like to take this moment to make this reminder: music doesn\'t have to be technical, and there doesn\'t have to be improv., for it to be good! I am so sick of all of the music snobs out there (especially in the "jam band" community) who are constantly writing off bands because their songs aren\'t technical enough. Yes, a Zappa-esque composition is mind boggling. But, a simple song can be beautiful too. I guess all I\'m trying to say is that I consider a song to be good if it moves me or challenges me in some way or another, be it emotionally or intellectually. Screw everything else.

AMEN SISTA!
How real is that?

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
new rage album!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 01:15:01 am »
A very good example of this is the Nirvana: Unplugged In New York live album! The funny thing is I\'m not even a Nirvana fan in the least, but yet I love this performance...
How real is that?

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
new rage album!
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2003, 05:22:54 am »
Originally posted by jocelyn
Yeah, pop music sucks now. If I had a penis I\'d tell Top 40 to suck it.

quote of the year ladies and gents, quote of the year...

couldnt agree more joc, I love technical music, but you always need that simple song thrown in there every now and then just so you can sit back and not have to think. Thats why i love phish\'s strange design. dont get much simpiler, but it sounds beautiful and gives you a nice break in a show to relax. I find the more complex the song, the more you need a simple song to relax with. Also, gotta agree on live punk. fun as hell when your there, but I only own a couple of clash and ramones tapes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 05:30:15 am by FrankZappa »
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
new rage album!
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 02:22:49 am »
Back to RATM. Just picked up new DVD of their last show. Ripping xtras of RATM playing to me and thousands of my pissed off friends @ the facistic National Convention in L.A. 2000. Crazy show and then the cops just went nuts on us. Believe me when I say FUCK THE POLICE. Anyways 4 a Rage fan this DVD is a must buy.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
new rage album!
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 06:57:05 am »
wow.. thanks, leith.. i didn\'t even know this was out...

dirt cheap too! only $9.98 here!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
new rage album!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 12:19:05 pm »
No prob got mine for 10.99.  Sweet Deal!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.