Author Topic: Setlist: 2007-12-08 - The Saint; Asbury Park, NJ  (Read 15261 times)

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
Setlist: 2007-12-08 - The Saint; Asbury Park, NJ
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 07:32:11 am »
i bet the crowd freaked out when the played no regret as the third encore song.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 07:58:06 am »
that looks like a classic, I can\'t wait to hear this one!
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

good4garry

• Play the Red One!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 12:06:42 pm »
i love the saint

small room, big sound..............no distortion

the band was as tight as i\'ve ever seen them (allright, only 8 shows, but i understand the concept by now, i think).............the band was dead-on, all night

and i heard the best breakfast drum solo ever (see note above)

if matt had worn his freakout wig during "ain\'t wastin\' time no more", i might have mistook him for greg allman............great job on one of my favorite tunes

and for the record, good luck to whomever has the responsibility of finding a replacement for ron spears, good luck indeed

anybody have an update on the condition of last night\'s only casualty? will tim\'s beautiful gibson sg guitar survive the beer dousing it received at the hands of its owner? i sure as hell hope so \'cause there is no comparison between the sound of tim playing fender and tim playing gibson. none. in a place like the saint, you can hear the difference. so i hope the patient pulls through ok and that tim discovers strap locks

great time, great place, absolutely awesome band.............happy b\'day steve-o

btw, if you want to talk to your friends, in loud voices, while the band is playing, GO OUTSIDE or STAY HOME...............idiots, this shit didn\'t happen in the 70\'s

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 12:39:56 pm »
^^
You got that right, no comparison between the sound of the Strat and the SG.... except its the Strat\'s tone and playability that blows the SG out of contention :D
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 12:49:05 pm »
great looking setlist

Ren

• what?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 01:00:01 pm »
lexington was there.  the show was pure intensity, power, emotion and heart.  a tear jerker as well.  it more than made up for our not being able to go to the wheel house show.  i just wish jen didn\'t have to use ear plugs and have an ear infection.  i applaud her dedication and patience.

the opening jam was as good as any song they played during the set.  in the flesh was only described as epic.  phaddy boom baddy was really, really tight, hard hitting, somewhat short, but straight to the point.  i\'d hoped to see love lake and it was everything it could\'ve and should\'ve ever been.  absolutely amazing.  got to me a few times too.  ldz was on fire.  and buquebus, well, it was exhausting.  it seemed to jump right into the techno shit right away and then come back to the end very fast,  but then it settled in and just crushed.  i almost lost my footing a few times.  amazing first set.

opening with ep3??!  i can\'t even remember the last time i heard that one.  they, though i can\'t understand how, have this ability to pull out a not so often played song and blow it up like the play it everyday.  eh, you know what i mean.  the peaks were so high and emotional it made me shudder a few time and the blues section at the end, with possibly the best playing i\'ve ever seen from matt got even the guys who wouldn\'t shut the fuck up the whole 1st set to actually do so, and go up front.  i believe the one who told the little group to, "get up front now," was the one saying, "i really don\'t like this shit, let\'s take off," throughout the set.  matt started the solo on the organ, went to piano and scorched the keys, and then went back to the organ.  i really can\'t wait till those who couldn\'t be there hear it.  whew.

ain\'t wastin\' time no more was beatiful.  i was glad to hear matt\'s true singing voice, which by the way is very decent, not to be confused with the way with the vocals of ludwig von beethoven sounded for lawn boy.  just beautifully played.  

new begining got me obviously when ron sreamed, "i dooooonnn\'t wanna goooo!!!"  it was a rough one my friends.  spunk was off the fuckin\' charts.  so goddamn intense.  my god.  the drum solo that followed was something that i can\'t decribe.  i was standing next to lexington, who wasn\'t even there and the "wind" from the bass drum made the hair stand up on our arms and actually made my hat move and knocked a beer off of someone\'s monitor.  wonder whose it was.  

i don\'t really even know what to say about the wild pack to close it out.  i really don\'t the groove is just tremendous.  tim was a fuckin\' lunatic and, i think he was thanking us for being as he put it, "members" of the wild pack.  adrian was yelling that, "whose is this in this movie," shit.  dave was at top form for this one.  good old liquored up dave.  silly.

the encore.....if no one shed a tear by now, then well, you\'ve got to hide your love away took care of that.  2 debuts?!?  i hoped that would\'nt be it.  i really think that the perfectly built up slow starting simpleton, was as good as it could\'ve ever possbibly been.  i wouldn\'t considering loose noodling while dave screams in tim\'s face, "no regret!!!" a segue, but whatever.  now that shit was the perfect ending to a pretty much perfect show.  the ronny spears chant was a lot to handle.  i actually thought he was gonna say something by the way he walked to the front corner of the stage and leaned toward the stage.  what the hell could he have even said?  

i won\'t forget this ones.  i\'m glad the dirty whores there didn\'t make it onto the stage this time, because they were professional whores as far as i was concerned.  someone would\'ve torn someone\'s clothes off....whores.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:06:37 pm by Ren »
"...someone\'s toying with us, Mr. Bravo, and no one makes a Sit N\' Spin out of Adam West..."

good4garry

• Play the Red One!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;172251
^^
You got that right, no comparison between the sound of the Strat and the SG.... except its the Strat\'s tone and playability that blows the SG out of contention :D

yeah, looks like tim has a real hard time with the "playability" of the sg

tone is a matter of opinion, so i won\'t argue that. on a song like "intension", i like the strat too.............but when tim is doing his smoking-fret jazz runs, i want to hear every note, not every other note

i like this debate much better then the "can ron play bass" nonsense i read on .info the other day.........

tyzack

• http://
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 01:47:59 pm »
Looks like a great show, definately one I\'ll DL
Apartheid: A policy of segregation and political and economic discrimination.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 01:54:43 pm »
i am SO glad i didn\'t have a clue what they were going to play before this show started.

wow.

if i had to use one word to describe this show, it would be refreshing. seriously, it was SO great to hear so many different songs with matt! as soon as i heard the first hint of attraction in the opening jam, i knew it was ON. in the flesh also surprised the shit out of me, and was an early bittersweet reminder that this was indeed the beginning of the end for ron.

it\'s funny how much i used to hate hearing phaddy at shows. last night was great, cause it\'s just been so damn long. i was happy when they started love lake, but i dunno.. the current arangement of the song just seems very uncomfortable and unnatural. i guess part of that could be that i\'m used to hearing it differently, but i dunno. anyone with me on this? and don\'t worry, my list of complaints for this show doesn\'t extend too far past that. :)

more ronnie featuring with ldz, and if this is any indication of how the send-off is going to go, i\'m all for it. it was really, really good to have ron up front so much tonight. the queeb was one of the better queebs with matt, imo.

setbreak seemed a little on the short side, and BIG THANKS to paul for getting the set 2 recording going when i was MIA. i was a nervous wreck when i heard music from outside the saint, and it was a huge relief to walk in and see that i was already rolling. :thumbsup:

eppy three!!! i heard matt practicing it alone before the show, so i had an idea that it was coming, but it was still very, very exciting to hear the red-headed stepchild of the episodes played again! i\'m not familiar with the allman brothers song (sue me!), so i can\'t really judge it too much, other than to say again that new = good!

i still find myself asking what a new beginning is every time they play it. that\'ll change with time, surely, but i LOVED hearing it last night. and shit, if hearing ronnie belt "i don\'t wanna go" doesn\'t pull at your heartstrings a bit, you need to check yourself.

spunk = ferocious. awesome solo by adrian, with tim, ron, and matt all really digging it. wild pack got the dance party going to close out the set, and make way for what was unquestionably the highlight of the night - the encore.

i\'ve heard tim play you\'ve got to hide your love away solo plenty of times, but full-band last night, celebrating lennon, screaming HEY! right up front - just awesome. son of simpleton made me wish mikey was there, so i dialed him up and put the phone on the stage. and afterwards, just like if my buddy were there, i started screaming NO REGRET!!!!!!! ...and it came! and i dialed him up again. it has been WAY too long since this song has been played, and raging up front to it was a PERFECT way to close out the evening. well, that, and the RONNIE SPEARS chant that followed. i\'m sure we\'re gonna be doig that a lot over these next few shows.

pre and post show shenanigans were some of the best i can remember in a while. the sushi, randy the hot dog guy, the BUSH singalong at the end of the show (we must have covered 60% of Sixteen Stone!), the van ride home that seemed like 6 hours... awesome awesome awesome. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Q0DoH3rl_DI&rel=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q0DoH3rl_DI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »
wow, what great reviews.  this setlist is amazing, i cannot wait to hear it.  great to hear them bust out some oldies with matt (i know dave was dying to hear some of this).

How big was the crowd?
DS Newbers

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 02:14:21 pm »
HAAahaha!! "You got plain? Ohh get outta\' here. Get some condiments on that thing." Who is that with the plain \'Sabrett\'. Hilarious shit.

Sounds like the show was a scorcher. Glad Lexington was there for the Eppy 3, he\'s brought it up numerous times lately.

Looking forward to the download.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 02:55:25 pm »
Quote from: good4garry;172254
^^

tone is a matter of opinion, so i won\'t argue that. on a song like "intension", i like the strat too.............but when tim is doing his smoking-fret jazz runs, i want to hear every note, not every other note

i like this debate much better then the "can ron play bass" nonsense i read on .info the other day.........

Really? Every other note? huh I just don\'t get it I guess, because for me its like exactly the other way around. The Strat sounds a lot more naunced , like the \'buckers on the SG aren\'t as good at picking up the difference between light picking and heavy picking. I still hear those light notes on the Strat and its the contrast that I like.

I give the SG the nod for songs like The Chase or Coma where some of those fuller sounding chords gotta sustain. But for Gladys Pimp funk-section or anything blues-related its almost a shame if Tim happens to have the SG in hand.

Of course playability is subjective and depends how on top of one\'s game the player happens to be on that night...

but I will say I have def seen Tim bust out more amazing feats of uber-guitaritry on the Strat than on the SG. IMO it is more of a players guitar and it shows in the extra confidence it seems to give Tim to make knots of the scales.

But I am a Strat player so yes I am biased.

And yes this is one of the better debates. But I think few ppl really care besides you and me ;)

Personally even though I prefer the Strat , I like the fact that Tim still plays both guitars from night to night. I just wish he still had the old Telecaster too :(

good4garry

• Play the Red One!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 03:49:11 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;172286
Quote from: good4garry;172254
^^

Really? Every other note? huh I just don\'t get it I guess, because for me its like exactly the other way around. The Strat sounds a lot more naunced , like the \'buckers on the SG aren\'t as good at picking up the difference between light picking and heavy picking. I still hear those light notes on the Strat and its the contrast that I like.

I give the SG the nod for songs like The Chase or Coma where some of those fuller sounding chords gotta sustain. But for Gladys Pimp funk-section or anything blues-related its almost a shame if Tim happens to have the SG in hand.

Of course playability is subjective and depends how on top of one\'s game the player happens to be on that night...

but I will say I have def seen Tim bust out more amazing feats of uber-guitaritry on the Strat than on the SG. IMO it is more of a players guitar and it shows in the extra confidence it seems to give Tim to make knots of the scales.

But I am a Strat player so yes I am biased.

And yes this is one of the better debates. But I think few ppl really care besides you and me ;)

Personally even though I prefer the Strat , I like the fact that Tim still plays both guitars from night to night. I just wish he still had the old Telecaster too :(

we agree to disagree.............and i think you\'re probably right about few people caring one way or the other

it\'s a little like debating which bikini the super-model looks better wearing, when the reality is she\'d look good in anything!

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 04:16:53 pm »
fuck. wish i couldve made it.  Attraction has been on my mind the past few nights for some reason ,maybe its just a \'face the everyday bullshit\' theme song and then laugh at the end. anyway, the BALL BREAKIN STAVENER in  Pecks video is Spacebrush and the HYLA is a great bust out for the appreciation of JLennon on the anniversary of his death.

As Wolfman said, the Breakfast are peaking, and now\'s the time
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:19:39 pm by DocEllis70 »
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 04:19:39 pm »
Quote from: good4garry;172303

it\'s a little like debating which bikini the super-model looks better wearing, when the reality is she\'d look good in anything!

Word to yo\' mutha\'.

Although I do care also. I prefer the SG\'s tone. I think the Strat doesn\'t sustain notes as strongly. But the Strat is literally a lighter guitar and Tim physically manipulates it way more, which does come through in his stage presence, hence kicking the live energy up a notch, hence pulling out some filthy runs by the gee-tar wizard. I\'ve always craved some form of a semi-hollow body in Timmy\'s hands though, the high end rings thicker imo. I just think when guitarists try to hold out piercing high notes on solid bodies, they sound empty comparatively. Quick runs hardly make a difference, but those sustaining sky-scrapers suffer. However I prefer, or maybe am just indifferent, in the deep end. It\'s really just curiosity to see how his playing would translate on a totally different axe.

But yeah, in the end I\'m on the super-model bikini end of things too.

Tim is the best out there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:19:39 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash