Author Topic: The 2007-08 College Basketball Thread  (Read 5900 times)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
The 2007-08 College Basketball Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 11:32:10 am »
Quote from: ds673488;184418
syracuse blew a 22-point halftime lead last night to lose in the quarter-finals of the NIT tournament against UMASS, at home.  What a pathetic way to finish the season.  It was painful to watch.

booze, were you there?

Ugh, can\'t say I didn\'t see that one coming. Since it was a 7:00 game I decided not to go. Very glad I made that decision. The story of the season was Syracuse blowing leads. I almost believed they were going to hold on to their lead in the second half but they got tired and kept missing 3 foot shots. They probably missed 10-12 3\' or less shots throughout the game. Due to a lack of bench players (2) they just can\'t play a complete 40 minutes game.

Everyone is coming back next season including Devendorf and Rautins plus a couple solid recruits. At least Boeheim will be able to sit his players when they start slacking off instead of suffering through their lazy ways...except for The Belgian Express (#12), he\'s the man!

Let us never speak of the 2007-08 Syracuse Men\'s Basketball season ever again.

Quote from: Yoda;184420
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Ohhhhhh, sorry Chip.

Quote from: booztravlr;168756

Smell my mule.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 11:43:01 am »
Yeah - I\'ll take that as I go into the Sweet 16.  May Syracuse will end their 2 year drought and make it into the tournament in 2009.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 03:33:08 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;184418
syracuse blew a 22-point halftime lead last night to lose in the quarter-finals of the NIT tournament against UMASS, at home.  What a pathetic way to finish the season.  It was painful to watch.

Wohoo!  Sorry, I went to school at UMass (though unfortunately not during the Calipari years).

Quote from: booztravlr;184424

Quote from: booztravlr;168756

I must admit that clip never gets old.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:33:08 pm by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 01:32:58 pm »
Let\'s hope that KU can keep the magic alive for one more night.  They\'ve gotten a lot of monkeys off their back this year.

- Losing to K-State
- Getting past the first two rounds in the tournament
- Beating Roy Williams in such a pivotal game

If they can win tonight, Self will accomplish what Roy Williams was unable to do for over decade and what none have been able to do since Danny Manning played for KU.  So I\'ll say it one more time - ROCK, CHALK, JAYHAWK!!!!!!!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 01:45:45 pm »
yea i think im gonna root for kansas
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 02:58:49 pm »
Memphis is gonna maul Kansas.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

BennyBoomers

• Biscuits Fluffer
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 03:00:11 pm »
I agree with Leith

They have the 2 best players on the floor in Rose and Douglas-Roberts

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 03:09:49 pm »
They are pretty evenly matched. I\'m guessing it\'ll come down to free throws and who gets into foul trouble. I\'m rooting for Memphis due to the fact I thought Davidson should have beaten Kansas last weekend.

Did rock chalk jayhawk become popular because people in Kansas couldn\'t think of anything else that rhymes with hawk?
Smell my mule.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 03:18:52 pm »
Quote from: booztravlr;185746
They are pretty evenly matched. I\'m guessing it\'ll come down to free throws and who gets into foul trouble. I\'m rooting for Memphis due to the fact I thought Davidson should have beaten Kansas last weekend.

Did rock chalk jayhawk become popular because people in Kansas couldn\'t think of anything else that rhymes with hawk?

if this is the case, memphis is in trouble, although they shot well from the line last game
DS Newbers

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 03:29:25 pm »
i am the only one in the office pool who picked kansas to win it all so if they take it down tonight i get like a hundge n change i think i get a small winnings even if they lose. hoe its a good game

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 03:33:36 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;185749
Quote from: booztravlr;185746

if this is the case, memphis is in trouble, although they shot well from the line last game

Since the opening weekend of the tournament they\'ve shot 74, 83 and 87% from the line. If they keep it at 74% or more they should be in good shape.
Smell my mule.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2008, 03:34:14 pm »
Hope this clears the history of the chant up.

The chant was first adopted by the university\'s science club in 1886. Chemistry professor E.H.S. Bailey and his colleagues were returning by train to Lawrence after a conference. During their travel, they discussed a need of a rousing yell. They came up with "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU", repeated three times. "Rock Chalk"—a transposition of chalk rock, a mineral that exists in western Kansas and similar to the coccolith found in the white cliffs of Dover—later replaced the two "rahs", after an English professor\'s suggestion.[1]

U.S. president Teddy Roosevelt called it the greatest college chant he had ever heard. Kansas troops have used it in the Philippine-American War in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion, and World War II. In the 1920 Summer Olympics, Albert I of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell, and gathered athletes replied with the chant.[2]

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2008, 03:45:55 pm »
They shot 87% from the line because Rose and Douglas-Roberts shot ALL 23 team free-throws.

I\'m rooting for Memphis, I like them and Kansas annoys me. I\'m also a UNC fan. Either way hope it comes down to the last possession.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2008, 03:48:16 pm »
Everyone loves the Carolina teams and everyone\'s a Kansas hater.  My brother went to KU so that\'s why I root for them.  Am I going to be upset if they don\'t win, maybe a little bit.  But it would nice to see a TEAM win rather than a team with 2 STARS.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »
I grew up in Chicago so images of Michael Jordan in Tar Heel blue were spoon fed to me. I know plenty of Kansas fans, but definitely not as many as Duke or UNC fans.

Also, Derrick Rose is a Chicago kid, won 2 state titles in a row 06/07. It\'s really cool to see him taking over this tourney right now and I hope he continues to tonight. Incredible athlete and so unselfish, an almost impossible combo to come by these days (esp. at 19 yrs. old).
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash