Author Topic: Portland, Maine  (Read 1287 times)

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Portland, Maine
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:39:17 pm »
I see on archive that it looks like the breakfast has played but one show in Portland, ME, at a place called The Big Easy.  I would like to see them play Portland again sometime, maybe this summer...its a little bit out of the way but not too bad and its a really cool city (i go there once a year with my family).  Those who havent been to Portland, its obviously a port city, very old new england feel to it with cobblestone streets and brown buildings, but also a very unique and "hip" city with some street performers and stuff.  kinda reminds me of seattle-ish.  The Big Easy is a really sweet venue and id like to see them return, but theres also a lot of other good places to play in this one area.  I think a 2 night run in Portland this summer would be awesome and we could all make the trip together and stay over in the city.  Theres this palce called Gilbert\'s Chowder House that has hands down the best varieties of chowder on the planet.

Plus theres the Shipyard Brewery :beer::drool:

did anyone go to the show they played at the big easy?
DS Newbers

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Portland, Maine
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:47:44 pm »
They used to play Maine on occasion 5 years ago.  Front St. Tavern is the name that comes to mind.  

Pretty sure they played a private college up there in the last 2 years.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
Portland, Maine
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 05:17:25 pm »
they should definatley get up there soon. theres probably a few colleges around there that would be thrilled to have the Breakfast come up in the spring. i went to a show in Maine but it was a private birthday party in a backyard but not sure where. 2 night runs on a tour up thatt way would be perfect
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Portland, Maine
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:43:45 pm »
maine: location of the first tour.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Portland, Maine
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:54:54 pm »
They should definitely play in Portland but I would not suggest doing so in the summer until they have established themselves a bit up there. If they go some time when the college kids are all there, they will be much more likely to have a decent turnout.
Masturbation in the MFA

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
Portland, Maine
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:32:41 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;168420
They should definitely play in Portland but I would not suggest doing so in the summer until they have established themselves a bit up there. If they go some time when the college kids are all there, they will be much more likely to have a decent turnout.

well i think it might be sort of a trade off for a few reasons.  one is portand is much busier in general in the summer as are all of the cities/towns in southern coastal maine because of the tourism, so the odds of people being around to hear the band anyway i think is high in the summer.  The college idea is a good one, but im not sure how many colleges are near portland...ill look into it though.

plus, its just really really nice to be up there in the summer when the weathers nice.

ok i just checked, and there are a few colleges nearby, and 2 are literally blocks from the bar area.  university of southern maine, university of new england, maine college of art, andover college.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:32:41 pm by ds673488 »
DS Newbers

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
Portland, Maine
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:20:53 pm »
Yup. Two of my closest friends went to Maine College of Art.

I think the college crown is more what you want to cater to. As opposed to tourists who tend to be an older/less live music-going crowd.

Maybe towards the end of spring semester when you get a bit of both would be the best time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:20:53 pm by jocelyn »
Masturbation in the MFA

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
Portland, Maine
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 09:17:57 pm »
I love portland. It would be fun to see the band play there.
Lots of really good food and beer.
plus there are a lot of college kids always milling about. Im sure with some promotion they could pull in a good crowd.
:banguitar: :banboogy2: