Author Topic: The Best Crowds  (Read 4439 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The Best Crowds
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2007, 08:19:56 am »
Those were good times and good memories.  I remember being broke for a month after buying the Vader costume for the Baker Quad show.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The Best Crowds
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2007, 10:14:29 am »
Quote from: Spunk;168051
that venue pic looks like the lions den, but nicer

Beardslee Halloween show 05 there were like 700 paid that night and it was a total shit show

I just did a little research, that IS the Lion\'s Den

Wow. I am really surprised I didn\'t pick up on that.

I thought the pics looked like a much nicer Lion\'s Den and know CEG books the place but figured it was a new venue.

Weird because on the map it just didn\'t look right. Oh well. from the pictures I hope the renovated the place. I might give it another chance. And don\'t have to worry to much about taping bands there :)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Best Crowds
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2007, 10:27:23 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;167954
Best crowds I\'ve ever seen:
6. Camp Creek 7/27/01

Biggest crowds I\'ve ever seen (not counting festivals, per the rules):

1.  Deuce CD release at Toad\'s, 6/1/01.  To the best of my knowledge it is the only Toad\'s sellout.  You couldn\'t move.  We also did over $1,500 in merch that night, that has to be a record.  

The thing everyone forgets about the cd release party for deuce was that most of the people there WERE NOT THERE FOR PSYCHEDELIC BREAKFAST. Oysterhead had played their one show in new orleans and were now announcing that they were going on tour. The tour was going to have two pre-tour shows, the first of which was going to be at toads place in the begining of september. 6/1/01, in a brilliant marketing move was not only the night of the breakfasts cd release party, but it was also the night the tickets went on sale for this, the first show of oysterhead after the new orleans show. As you stood in the croud, there was a line that snaked from the front door back to the bar and then back to the front door again along the back wall which was all the people waiting for tickets. They got to watch the show while waiting in line, but most of them probably would not have otherwise been there, and a good majority of them left as soon as they got their oysterhead tickets.

Oysterhead never played toads place. 9/11 happened and the show was scheduled for only a few days after that, to be followed the next night in nyc. Both pre-tour shows were scrapped.

Don\'t get me wrong, there were a lot of people getting down in line and they probably made some fans, but there were just as many that were completely ignoring the band on stage.

and,
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The Best Crowds
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2007, 10:48:24 am »
Quote from: Gordo;168072

Man, I hate to ask, but where did all these kids go? What happened to prevent the crowds from gradually INCREASING in the future?

Al pretty much took care of this one, but I\'ll throw my abridged version in.  One day I\'ll sit down and write 20 pages about this but not for this post:  

UMass 99-02 was a very special circumstance that existed in a certain time and place.  A lot of things had to go right, and a lot of fortunate circumstances had to come together at the same time for it to exist, and they did.    It was incredible but not sustainable.  

The biggest factor was a MAJOR hipppie clique of about 250 kids who were all friends, mostly from Baker dorm.  I know this may seem impossible, but you have to take my word for it.  This was State U networking of the highest order.  You could count on ALL of these kids at the same shows and parties every time, and Psychedelic Breakfast was our band.  It was great, but it couldn\'t last forever.  Kids go their separate ways after college.  Everyone went for equal parts the music and for each other, and when you took the "each other" out of the equation, most slowly fell off the Breakfast landscape.  

The second biggest factor was the closing of Butterfield.  (I made a classic post about this at the old yahoo group that you can read here.)  As the band moved to the clubs you started to get a division of UMass fans: those who had been to Butterfield shows, and those who hadn\'t.  Even though the early Northampton club shows were equally epic and constant sellouts, there was no way anyone who hadn\'t been in Butterfield could get on board at the same level of ferocity.              

The third factor is the fact that the band was getting bigger and touring wider and you couldn\'t go see them 3 nights a week all the time like we were doing in 00-01.

And the last factor I have to take a hit on.  Looking back I feel like I could have done a better job networking with some of the big buzzkids a couple of years younger than me and having them smoothly take over handling Breakfast grassroots and parties and stuff after I left.  There was nothing I could do to overcome the three factors above, the scene was never going to last at the level it was at.  But if I had done a better job passing the torch the dropoff could have been slower and wouldn\'t have bottomed out at the point that it did.  

Like I said, I\'ve got 20-30 pages in me about the rise and fall of this era, but I feel like I owe a brief answer right now.

Classic photo there: lele, Davepeck, me, Jocelyn, and FrankZappa basking in the afterglow of Camp Creek 2001, #6 on my list.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:41:43 pm by Wolfman »

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
The Best Crowds
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2007, 11:05:16 am »
Sportin\' a Wolfstock shirt there champ?

Well hopefully your 20-30 pages will be partially recited as part of TB\'s future documentary, in the section titled "The Early Psychedelic Days", when the fanbase has grown immensely and live footage is taken exclusively from their recent sell-out NYE show at the Roseland Ballroom. Ya\' know those scenes where the band is all leaning forward with their elbows on their knees, slight smerk, staring at the ground ahead, waiting to chime in with their funny bits every once in awhile, while the scene\'s story-teller continues through the interruptions getting more excited and the director cuts just as everyone busts a gut. Every rock-doc has \'em.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
The Best Crowds
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:22 am »
this is all incredibly interesting...i love breakfistory...

also, this is the funniest thing ive ever seen...please read and comment (espicially those who can relate).  did anyonne live/know anyone who lived here during the early-mid 90\'s?

http://www.umasswiki.com/wiki/Butterfield
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
The Best Crowds
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2007, 11:20:32 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa;168091
Quote from: Wolfman;167954
Best crowds I\'ve ever seen:
6. Camp Creek 7/27/01

Biggest crowds I\'ve ever seen (not counting festivals, per the rules):

1.  Deuce CD release at Toad\'s, 6/1/01.  To the best of my knowledge it is the only Toad\'s sellout.  You couldn\'t move.  We also did over $1,500 in merch that night, that has to be a record.  

The thing everyone forgets about the cd release party for deuce was that most of the people there WERE NOT THERE FOR PSYCHEDELIC BREAKFAST. Oysterhead had played their one show in new orleans and were now announcing that they were going on tour. The tour was going to have two pre-tour shows, the first of which was going to be at toads place in the begining of september. 6/1/01, in a brilliant marketing move was not only the night of the breakfasts cd release party, but it was also the night the tickets went on sale for this, the first show of oysterhead after the new orleans show. As you stood in the croud, there was a line that snaked from the front door back to the bar and then back to the front door again along the back wall which was all the people waiting for tickets. They got to watch the show while waiting in line, but most of them probably would not have otherwise been there, and a good majority of them left as soon as they got their oysterhead tickets.

Oysterhead never played toads place. 9/11 happened and the show was scheduled for only a few days after that, to be followed the next night in nyc. Both pre-tour shows were scrapped.

Don\'t get me wrong, there were a lot of people getting down in line and they probably made some fans, but there were just as many that were completely ignoring the band on stage.

again, wrong show.

oysterhead tickets went on sale at the 2001-08-23 pb toad\'s place show, not at the 2001-06-01 deuce cd release party.

http://www.thebreakfast.info/forum/showthread.php?t=539

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
The Best Crowds
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2007, 11:29:56 am »
:doh: :shrug:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Wolfman

The Best Crowds
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2007, 01:07:26 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;168102

also, this is the funniest thing ive ever seen...please read and comment (espicially those who can relate).  did anyonne live/know anyone who lived here during the early-mid 90\'s?

Wow, GREAT link there!  Everything is true.  Holy crap, that\'s a very good history.  My only criticism is that it was clearly written by someone from the early 90\'s and he glossed over the final days of the Fall 99-Spring 01 period.  I could give a 12-page version of that era.  Stop me.  The Baker Quad show (5/5/01) was but a few days after Tom Degnan fell off the roof, and The Breakfast dedicated Gladys Pimp to him at the show.  The history of Butterfield is much, much bigger than the history of The Breakfast so it makes sense that PB is not mentioned in the article, but it\'s things like that dedication and even the song Honey Butter that let you know that The Breakfast were firmly intertwined with late Butterfield history and Butterfield is a major part of Breakfast history.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:25:19 pm by Wolfman »

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
The Best Crowds
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2007, 01:20:48 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;168122
Quote from: ds673488;168102

Wow, GREAT link there!  Everything is true.  Holy crap, that\'s a very good history.  My only criticism is that it was clearly written by someone from the early 90\'s and he glossed over the Fall 99-Spring 01 period.  I could give a 12-page version of that era.  Stop me.  The Baker Quad show (5/5/01) was but a few days after Tom Degnan fell off the roof, and The Breakfast dedicated Gladys Pimp to him at the show.  The history of Butterfield is much, much bigger than the history of The Breakfast so it makes sense that PB is not mentioned in the article, but it\'s things like that dedication and even the song Honey Butter that let you know that The Breakfast were firmly intertwined with late Butterfield history and Butterfield is a major part of Breakfast history.

They should make a movie about this dorm, it would be the best movie of all time.  better than animal house cause it would be a true story.

on a side note, does anyone have pictures from any of the \'99 UMASS shows
DS Newbers

Wolfman

The Best Crowds
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:53 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;168123

I think Paul Ryan (FrankZappa) has some.  Be sure to check out these pics from the last Butterfield show 3/30/01 here.  There was a Wrestlemania at setbreak, complete with DeBlock (Yoda) dressed as Hulk Hogan.  I have captioned many of the photos, be sure to read.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
The Best Crowds
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2007, 01:45:33 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;168130
Quote from: ds673488;168123

I think Paul Ryan (FrankZappa) has some.  Be sure to check out these pics from the last Butterfield show 3/30/01 here.  There was a Wrestlemania at setbreak, complete with DeBlock (Yoda) dressed as Hulk Hogan.  I have captioned many of the photos, be sure to read.

haha yeah i already saw them, they look pretty classic, and the captions are halarious.  so did anyone from .info live in butterfield?  who lived in baker?
DS Newbers

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
The Best Crowds
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2007, 04:50:50 pm »
Quote from: ds673488;168132
so did anyone from .info live in butterfield?  who lived in baker?

Wolfman and I lived in Baker.  My sister lived in Butterfield from 1997 - 2001.  Wolfman was on the Butterfield meal program and ate there with the "family".  Not sure if anyone else associated with UMass is registered here.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Wolfman

The Best Crowds
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2007, 05:23:20 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;168140

Wolfman and I lived in Baker.  My sister lived in Butterfield from 1997 - 2001.  Wolfman was on the Butterfield meal program and ate there with the "family".  Not sure if anyone else associated with UMass is registered here.

Yeah, I was as close as you could get without living there.  I worked in the kitchen and ate all my meals there with those kids, and I helped book the shows there.  Just didn\'t sleep there.  There are no Butterfielders on .info.  The only one who surfaces anymore is Teddy Torres, he still makes it to key shows but doesn\'t do .info.  (He was Hugh Heffner at FF9.)    

Anyhow, who else has some crazy or huge crowds to talk about?  I want to hear more stories!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:27:45 pm by Wolfman »

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The Best Crowds
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 05:48:25 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;168143
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;168140

Yeah, I was as close as you could get without living there.  I worked in the kitchen and ate all my meals there with those kids, and I helped book the shows there.  Just didn\'t sleep there.  There are no Butterfielders on .info.  The only one who surfaces anymore is Teddy Torres, he still makes it to key shows but doesn\'t do .info.  (He was Hugh Heffner at FF9.)    

Anyhow, who else has some crazy or huge crowds to talk about?  I want to hear more stories!

uh yes there is read the post you just quoted by Al again.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.