Author Topic: The Best Crowds  (Read 4338 times)

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
The Best Crowds
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 05:39:36 pm »
Looks nice, and sounds like they are real music fans trying to create a nice venue for both musicians and fans.

The band should try and get in there.
Masturbation in the MFA

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
The Best Crowds
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 06:49:43 pm »
Biggest crowd I\'ve ever seen them play for was House Of Blues - Chicago 4/28/06, sold out. Unfortunately, they were opening for The Wailers and the crowd was 99.742% there for The Wailers. I at least fucking got down because the sound quality was A++, ellis-d tore the lights a new asshole, and it was my first TL&TG > OE experience which was siiiiiick willy.

After the show Jordan had the smiling shakes. I asked him, laughing, if he was alright, and he came back with, "Dude we\'ve never played on a stage like that with that many people. It was crazy. It felt great." Then Gavin walked up within two seconds and said, "I heard a bunch of kids in the crowd yelling \'too many notes!\'" and then Jordan stopped smiling. A bittersweet night.

Best atmosphere I\'ve been in (next to my only East Side show -- FF9) was the Rathskeller at Madison without a doubt. A free show where maybe a couple hundred showed up and the place was fuckin\' jumpin\'. I even saw a few chicks makin out with each other right in front of the stage during the colossal second set. That show still sits atop all the rest for me, musically especially.

Quote from: kindm\'s;168031
Speaking of Tobacco ROad does anyone know anything about this new place opening in NYC ?

It is right around the corner from where Tobacco Rd. used to be

http://www.sullivanhallnyc.com

Marco Benevento & friends every Thursday night in Jan.

Looks cool and seems like based on the peeps who run it the atmosphere could be something special.

Man, I\'d love to run a venue/bar. If only I had enough money where I wouldn\'t be depending on it for my livelihood.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 06:49:43 pm by Gordo »
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
The Best Crowds
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 07:14:42 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;168031
Speaking of Tobacco ROad does anyone know anything about this new place opening in NYC ?

It is right around the corner from where Tobacco Rd. used to be

http://www.sullivanhallnyc.com

Marco Benevento & friends every Thursday night in Jan.

This looks and sounds like it would be a GREAT venue for the breakfast!!!!

"Sullivan Hall is a 345 capacity music and event venue located in Greenwich Village in downtown Manhattan near the New York University community. We are big music fans who frequent shows and are friends with many musicians and artist representatives. We listened to what they had to say about the type of venue they’d like to see in New York City. We created an ideal venue for both performers and fans alike. We put a state of the art sound and lighting system, and the space has near perfect sight lines. Even on a sold out show, you will have an intimate experience with your favorite performers at Sullivan Hall.    "

"Street Team:    We have a very active, paid street team to promote shows at Sullivan Hall, as well as CEG Presents shows elsewhere. Please email     Jennifer Sellers if you’re interested in joining up."

Full Text

"Artists: We book nearly all styles of music with the exception of hard core, thrash or really heavy metal.     If there are artists you’d like to see at Sullivan Hall, please email      info@sullivanhallnyc.com     with your suggestions. Thank you!"

We should all email about the breakfast.

Especially now with it being a new hyped up venue...if the breakfast gets their foot in the door early , plays there regularly, begins to pack the place, they could own that place then have a string of legendary sold out shows there before graduating to the next level of nyc venue. i.e. bb king\'s
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:20:31 pm by Klout »

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
The Best Crowds
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 07:19:53 pm »
Quote from: Klout;168044
This looks and sounds like it would be a GREAT venue for the breakfast!!!!

Especially as a new venue...if the breakfast gets their foot in the door early while the hype about it is hot and plays there regularly and own that place, place a bunch of legendary sold out shows there and graduate to the next level in nyc.

["Artists: We book nearly all styles of music with the exception of hard core, thrash or really heavy metal.     If there are artists you’d like to see at Sullivan Hall, please email      info@sullivanhallnyc.com     with your suggestions. Thank you!"

We should all email about the breakfast.[/B]

:that:!
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Spunk

• http://www.rezi.org
The Best Crowds
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 07:33:54 pm »
that venue pic looks like the lions den, but nicer

Beardslee Halloween show 05 there were like 700 paid that night and it was a total shit show

I just did a little research, that IS the Lion\'s Den
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:33:54 pm by Spunk »

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
The Best Crowds
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:24 pm »
r u ser?

Spunk

The Best Crowds
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 07:39:09 pm »
yeah
look up the pics for the Lions Den at their website, they are those pics

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
The Best Crowds
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 07:46:43 pm »
yup 214 sullivan st

so I assume someone else bought it, remodeled put in a new sound system and changed the name?

so technically the breakfast is playing there but not really because it doesn\'t change hands until the new year.  i.e. still 3 opening acts ala lions den. hopefully new management will be down with one or no opening band and two long sets of breakfast

anyway I think I wanna go to the upcoming show there. i have always liked the venue and it looks a lot nicer now.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:54:24 pm by Klout »

Spunk

The Best Crowds
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2007, 08:00:17 pm »
that however has nothing to do with the venue, but CEG the company that brings the club shows, they do the 4 bands thing, mabye they bought the bar

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The Best Crowds
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 12:33:05 am »
Quote from: ds673488;167999
Quote from: Wolfman;167954
Best crowds I\'ve ever seen:

2.  Butterfield 11/19/99 Read about it here

I know exactly what you mean about these party/no supervision/no rules shows.  some of the best shows my band has ever played were at these wild frat parties in buffalo where we would either play in a basement or in a living room of a big house that was jam packed with ape-like drunk kids who were dancing/screaming/fighting.  the energy at those types of shows cannot be duplicated.

5. Puppet House 2005, both shows.

I always hear about the puppethouse shows, and ive listened to some of them...is this place a bar, and where?

6. Camp Creek 7/27/01

Including festivals, was this the biggest crowd they\'ve ever played to?

Biggest crowds I\'ve ever seen (not counting festivals, per the rules):

1.  Deuce CD release at Toad\'s, 5/23/02.  To the best of my knowledge it is the only Toad\'s sellout.  You couldn\'t move.  We also did over $1,500 in merch that night, that has to be a record.  

How many people does toad\'s fit, about?

2.  Baker Quad 5/5/01 Outdoor 360 degree stage, about 15-20 deep for 270 degrees and 5 deep behind the stage.  500-700 people.

Where is Baker\'s Quad?

Getting thread back on track here, it\'s too good to sidetrack.

To catch up on inqueries:

-Puppet House is not a bar.  It\'s a very small theater with removable seating whose principal function is puppet shows.  The shows were BYOB.  
-Baker Quad is the quad in front of Baker dorm at UMass, about 100 yards from Butterfield dorm.  
-I think Toad\'s is 850-900, Ellis can confirm the number.  
-I\'m changing the date on Deuce CD release, I knew that date didn\'t feel right
-Tobacco Road was an alltime classic venue and lives on in Breakfast infamy on the Dead But Not Forgotten Venues list alongside Callahan\'s, Hawk\'s Nest, Butterfield and others.  We used to rent a bus when they played there and have everyone gather in East Haven and PARTY HARD on the bus the whole way down and back.  The shows ran until absolutely whenever, 5am or later usually.  I remember emerging into broad daylight from some shows that broke the 5 hour mark...no other club has pushed it like that since.  The phrase "NO SLEEPING ONLY DRINKING!" came from these trips and as best I can remember this was the first ever Breakfast scene-ism.  And Pec recalled a great show, 12/31/02...wild night for sure.  That one should be on my list.  I was at TR all night, it was packed and insane even before the post-Phish crowd rolled in.  But management there got very bizarre at the last show in \'03 and they closed shortly after.  For one, they blew a lot of money on an expensive new light rig but had no employee who knew how to run it and they wouldn\'t let us run it either, so the band just looked like crap all night with 10 grand worth of lights doing nothing.  And more notoriously, they prohibited all taping and instead taped the show themselves and demanded $50 from the band to get the recording.  OOF.  They did a lot of great stuff for us, but they had it coming after that.        
-I think the rules in the first post were meant to exclude festivals for biggest crowd but not best crowd.  If your best crowd experience was at a festival we should know about it!

Quote from: davepeck;167996
1.  Deuce CD release at Toad\'s, 5/23/02.

deuce cd release @ toad\'s was 06/01/01, just fyi.

I knew that date didn\'t feel right.  It\'s coming back to me now.  It was just a couple of weeks after Baker Quad, and Baker Quad at the time it happened was the undisputed biggest show ever.  Kids were fiending for another show after Baker Quad and this was the first chance.  At Toad\'s, on top of an excellent hometown and CT crowd, Umass/Northampton sent about 300 kids and put the crowd into stratospheric size territory.  School had just gotten out and Baker sent easily half the freakin dorm along with a big group from Butterfield and all of the associated friends from around New England also fresh out of school.  Huge show.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:45:57 am by Wolfman »

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
The Best Crowds
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 12:47:18 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;168069

I knew that date didn\'t feel right.  It\'s coming back to me now.  It was just a couple of weeks after Baker Quad, and Baker Quad at the time it happened was the undisputed biggest show ever.  Kids were fiending for another show after Baker Quad and this was the first chance.  At Toad\'s, on top of an excellent hometown and CT crowd, Umass/Northampton sent about 300 kids and put the crowd into stratospheric size territory.  School had just gotten out and Baker sent easily half the freakin dorm along with a big group from Butterfield and all of the associated friends from around New England also fresh out of school.  Huge show.

Man, I hate to ask, but where did all these kids go? What happened to prevent the crowds from gradually INCREASING in the future?

It seems like this must have been an extremely hopeful and exciting time in PB/TB\'s history, only to slowly deflate thereafter.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
The Best Crowds
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 01:59:55 am »
Quote from: Gordo;168072
Man, I hate to ask, but where did all these kids go?

I\'ll try to make sense of PB\'s fanbase dissolving somewhat in the UMass area as best I can.

During the 1999-2001 years, the band was playing Butterfield several times a year along with the Iron Horse, Fire + Water Cafe (acoustic) and other venues in Amherst and Northampton.  It literally seemed like the band was playing in our backyard every few weeks.  Most of the kids seeing the Breakfast lived in Butterfield and other dorms that were within 1,000 feet.  Hence, the fanbase was closely connected and it was easy to promote shows when all you had to do was flyer a few dorms that were next to each other.  Almost everyone on the area of campus Wolfman and I lived in knew the band and hundreds were fans.  There was such a high concentration of PB fans in such a small area that UMass quickly became their "home away from home".   This phenomenon wasn\'t exclusive to the Breakfast scene.  Sometimes the whole dorm Wolfman and I lived in would end up at the same party, only to continue late night back in the building together.  It was a very tight bunch.

Butterfield was a crazy dorm where anything could happen. The school finally decided to put the kibosh on the madness and converted it into a freshman dorm at the end of the 2001 school year (after a kid fell from the roof trying to capture the jolly roger pirate flag flapping on the roof).  The days of madness right inside the dorms were over, forcing the fanbase off campus to more subdued digs at The Iron Horse, Pearl St Nightclub, Springdale Turn Hall etc.  After the 2001 school year, many of the student fans living on campus moved off campus; the hardcore fans were scattered in different towns around the Amherst area.  The band still played killer shows to sizable and appreciative crowds (with post-show parties at Wolfman\'s house regularly), but it was harder to mobilize that many people who no longer shared the same bathrooms, dining facilities, frisbee lawns etc..  Keep in mind that these days I speak of preceded .info.  If we had .info back then to keep everyone connected, perhaps many would have never lost touch with the band.  Once many of the students graduated, many fans were gone from the area for good and lost touch all together.  

Some of the fans were as fanatical about the band as some of you are, driving to other states on work or school nights.  It\'s a shame that they are not currently active in the scene, but I doubt they ever got sick of what the band was doing.  They made the same fantasy setlists and talked about the Breakfast\'s future being so bright the quartet needed to wear shades :exaggeration: etc.  They just moved away and lost touch.  Seriously, what the hell happened to people like Mike Bonanno?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:12:48 am by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
The Best Crowds
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2007, 02:10:15 am »
huh... what a shame. at least you have those memories in the bag man, sounds like it was pretty special. thanks for a solid answer. i\'m sure you\'re remeniscing (sp?) bittersweetly.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
The Best Crowds
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:39 am »
Quote from: Gordo;168076
huh... what a shame. at least you have those memories in the bag man, sounds like it was pretty special. thanks for a solid answer. i\'m sure you\'re remeniscing (sp?) bittersweetly.

Ahh, the days of walking down the hall and seeing a PB brain sticker on every other door.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:25:18 am by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
The Best Crowds
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 02:21:14 am »
:rip:    :violin: