Author Topic: The Best Crowds  (Read 4449 times)

peaches626

The Best Crowds
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 10:05:08 am »
I\'d say 1000th show was the biggest crowd i\'ve seen at a breakfast show they were headlining by themselves.

Crowd energy was definitely at a peak on 4-22-06
taints rule, gypsies drool!

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
The Best Crowds
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:42 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;167954
Best crowds I\'ve ever seen:

2.  Butterfield 11/19/99 Read about it here

I know exactly what you mean about these party/no supervision/no rules shows.  some of the best shows my band has ever played were at these wild frat parties in buffalo where we would either play in a basement or in a living room of a big house that was jam packed with ape-like drunk kids who were dancing/screaming/fighting.  the energy at those types of shows cannot be duplicated.

5. Puppet House 2005, both shows.

I always hear about the puppethouse shows, and ive listened to some of them...is this place a bar, and where?

6. Camp Creek 7/27/01

Including festivals, was this the biggest crowd they\'ve ever played to?

Biggest crowds I\'ve ever seen (not counting festivals, per the rules):

1.  Deuce CD release at Toad\'s, 5/23/02.  To the best of my knowledge it is the only Toad\'s sellout.  You couldn\'t move.  We also did over $1,500 in merch that night, that has to be a record.  

How many people does toad\'s fit, about?

2.  Baker Quad 5/5/01 Outdoor 360 degree stage, about 15-20 deep for 270 degrees and 5 deep behind the stage.  500-700 people.

Where is Baker\'s Quad?
DS Newbers

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
The Best Crowds
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 11:51:29 am »
Quote from: Me!;167986
Quote from: leith;167984
Every Winstons show I have seen since 10/10/03 has been off the hook crowd and energy wise and the band\'s playing shows it. I really hope some of you will be able to experience a Breakfast show there someday. It is a pretty special place to three of the guys for sure.

the national I went on Winstons was prob the best show of the run.

April 10th, 2004 - Winston\'s; San Diego, CA

I: Inner Glimpse, Dig, The Chase, Escher\'s Etchings > Sleeping Beauty, No Regret, Great Big Fiery Ball in the Sky > Funk* > jam > Attraction To Shade Ditty > Message in Bottle, Dimension 5 > Score, May Fly Disarray, Rufus

* Rap by Al Howard

the setlist doesn\'t look too crazy but trust it was a blast.

HA I just read my review of that show. I was actually running lights that night. Wow seems so loooong ago.

Quote from: ds673488;167999

5. Puppet House 2005, both shows.

I always hear about the puppethouse shows, and ive listened to some of them...is this place a bar, and where?

No dude it\'s a Puppet House and it\'s in Stony Creek.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:51:29 am by leith »
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
The Best Crowds
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 12:39:52 pm »
FF1 - The music was awesome and it was catered
4/1/00 - I enjoyed all Butterfield shows; I wasn\'t so much a fan on the Baker Quad show.  
8/12/00 - Although there weren\'t hundreds of people, the band scheduled after them didn\'t want to play after they heard the first half of their set.  That\'s why an hour slot turned into a 3+ hour first set and a 2 hour midnight second set.
11/25/01 - This was a fun show
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The Best Crowds
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 01:12:16 pm »
Tobacco Road  New Years Eve. After phish Show.

Place was packed unlike any other night with the exception of the Robert Randolph Christmas show.

It was the Tobacco Road free for all and of course THE missing recording.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
The Best Crowds
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 03:04:14 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;168012
Tobacco Road  New Years Eve. After phish Show.

Place was packed unlike any other night with the exception of the Robert Randolph Christmas show.

It was the Tobacco Road free for all and of course THE missing recording.

what year was this?
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
The Best Crowds
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 03:08:56 pm »
12/31/02

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
The Best Crowds
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 03:29:06 pm »
^ Oh shit, I totally forgot about this show. Weren\'t there a bunch of bands playing at Tobacco Road that night? I can\'t remember when we arrived but it was probably close to 1:30 or so. Pretty sure music was going on until 4 or later. Very foggy memory due to +20 hours of boozing.
Smell my mule.

davepeck

• Administrator
The Best Crowds
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 03:36:12 pm »
there were probably opening bands.. not sure though, as we were at MSG. walked to TR after the phish show ended and it was insane.

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
The Best Crowds
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 03:49:17 pm »
now is tobacco road one bar, or does it describe a general location in new york?  this must have been insane after the phish comeback show...and dave, how the hell did you get tickets to MSG, it was so hard to get them.
DS Newbers

davepeck

• Administrator
The Best Crowds
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 03:58:30 pm »
tobacco road = venue name. closed in 2003. definitely one of the best all-time breakfast venues. some crazy things went down there through the years.

had to pay extra for my phish ticket, since my (and 5 family members) mail order did not make the cut. don\'t even get me started about how phish\'s ticketing system went down the tubes post-hiatus. *sigh* those tickets should have been automatic for anyone who\'d mail ordered for 75+ shows in the past.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
The Best Crowds
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 04:28:12 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;168024
don\'t even get me started about how phish\'s ticketing system went down the tubes post-hiatus.

No kidding. I mail ordered for 2 tix to each of the Phoenix, San Diego, Mountain View (x2) and Gorge (x2) shows in 2003. They processed my mail order twice and sent me 4 tix to each show (in two seperate packeges of 2 tix each). They wouldn\'t refund my money afterwards when I told them they had made a mistake. I let it go figuring I would just sell/trade them for goodies when I was out West. I couldn\'t sell those tix for shit as crowd numbers were low to start off that tour. I had to eat so much money because of it.

The days of actually mailing them a \'mail order\' was so much better.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Smell my mule.

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
The Best Crowds
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 04:36:01 pm »
the stone church is my favorite. but the middle east 4/22 was also a memorable time.
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The Best Crowds
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 04:38:10 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;168024
tobacco road = venue name. closed in 2003. definitely one of the best all-time breakfast venues. some crazy things went down there through the years.

It is where I fell in love with the band, that\'s for sure.

I really miss that place, it was what a night in NYC should be.

never having to pre-game, just get to the venue and do what you will.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
The Best Crowds
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 04:42:41 pm »
Speaking of Tobacco ROad does anyone know anything about this new place opening in NYC ?

It is right around the corner from where Tobacco Rd. used to be

http://www.sullivanhallnyc.com

Marco Benevento & friends every Thursday night in Jan.