Author Topic: Five must-have security/privacy extensions for Firefox  (Read 471 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Five must-have security/privacy extensions for Firefox
« on: November 05, 2007, 06:58:21 am »
Five must-have security/privacy extensions for Firefox
Posted by Chris Soghoian
Do you consider yourself to be a privacy aware Internet user? Are you concerned about your security online?

You\'ve installed antivirus and spyware software, which you also keep updated. You regularly update your operating system for any security patches. You have a firewall on your home computer and have locked down your home wireless network with a WPA2 password. Most importantly, you\'ve ditched Internet Explorer and jumped on the Firefox bandwagon.

Your job is done, right? Think again.

While installing Firefox (and not using IE) is one of the most important steps users can take towards a safe online experience, Firefox is (alas) not totally safe out of the box. Luckily, Firefox provides a very flexible framework for open-source programmers and commercial vendors to create their own software add-ons for the browser. A number of these software extensions fix critical design flaws in Firefox--or simply improve transparency so that users have a better idea of where they are and which sites they\'re interacting with. I\'ve selected a few of the best ones, which I highlight below.

source
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke