Author Topic: EUREKA! Pizza in San Diego at least as good as BAR!  (Read 4101 times)

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
EUREKA! Pizza in San Diego at least as good as BAR!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 11:24:01 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;170387
BAR... thats the place near Toads right? Or am I thinking of another place...

either way I ate some supposedly worlds best New Haven pizza once and while it was tasty and hit the spot, it did not compare to Pinnochio\'s in Northampton or Antonio\'s in Amherst.

but then again I\'m not a fan of that flimsy NY style flops in your hand pizza

:sigh:
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 12:18:51 am »

either way I ate some supposedly worlds best New Haven pizza once and while it was tasty and hit the spot, it did not compare to Pinnochio\'s in Northampton or Antonio\'s in Amherst.

rotfl  This is a blast from the past conversation!  You can even search for the original .info pizza thread which I think topped 300 posts.  But let me lay it down for you like it is and save us all from fighting the same war twice.  Take it from the .infoer who has eaten more Antonio\'s/Pinocchio\'s and New Haven apizza combined than anyone...  

Back when The Breakfast and everyone else from New Haven was getting to know Amherst and vice versa, being the Amherst dweller that I was I naturally defended Antonio\'s as the greatest pizza of all time.  You can\'t blame Amherst kidz for believing this, because when you\'ve spent 18 years eating shitpies while growing up in Anytown, MA, and then you go off to college in Amherst and discover Antonio\'s, Antonio\'s is the greatest pie you\'ve ever had.  Having never been to New Haven, I thought that all of these Breakfast kidz and the guys in the band were all a bunch of cocky guineas who just needed one slice of Antonio\'s Mexican or Chicken Bleu pizza and then they would know the truth.  I defended Antonio\'s to the death.

Stupidest decision of my life.

As soon as I got to New Haven, I discovered the true meaning and definition of "apizza".  There is nothing like the real, legit apizza in New Haven\'s Little Italy, made by Italians, for Italians.  There is no discussion to be had.  It is the best you can get this side of the Motherland.  Now, that being said, this is not putting down Antonio\'s.  Antonio\'s is great college/stoner food.  When you\'re in college and you got $3 and 2 minutes, and preferably you\'re drunk or stoned, Antonio\'s hits the fuckin spot like no other.  It\'s perfect for that market.  But when you\'ve got $15 to throw down on a real meal at a real restaurant, and you\'re ready to slow down and take pizza seriously, you go to New Haven.  And for god\'s sake, go to the right places in New Haven.  Yorktown Pizza (next to Toad\'s) is NOT New Haven pizza.  The short list is Sallys, Peppy\'s, Modern, and BAR.  There are others in town on the good list as well, but don\'t judge New Haven pizza until you\'ve had all of those.  Twice.

Antonio\'s is like the girl you date in college who\'s fun to mess around with, doesn\'t expect much back, and is the best you\'ve had to that point.  Great for a while, not gonna last.  When you start getting a little more serious, looking for true quality of character and something you can be with a long time, your girl is New Haven apizza.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:23:44 am by Wolfman »

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 12:42:37 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;170417

As soon as I got to New Haven, I discovered the true meaning and definition of "apizza".  

So true.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 02:08:56 am »
New Haven Apizza will spoil you. Might never eat a shitty Za again after partaking in some good old fashioned Za. Can\'t eat anything that doesn\'t resemble a nice thin crust pizza anymore. Sometimes I starve.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 02:12:58 am »

Back when The Breakfast and everyone else from New Haven was getting to know Amherst and vice versa, being the Amherst dweller that I was I naturally defended Antonio\'s as the greatest pizza of all time.  You can\'t blame Amherst kidz for believing this, because when you\'ve spent 18 years eating shitpies while growing up in Anytown, MA, and then you go off to college in Amherst and discover Antonio\'s, Antonio\'s is the greatest pie you\'ve ever had.

I never thought Antonio\'s was that special.  Just a great location.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 02:26:25 am »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;170425

Back when The Breakfast and everyone else from New Haven was getting to know Amherst and vice versa, being the Amherst dweller that I was I naturally defended Antonio\'s as the greatest pizza of all time.  You can\'t blame Amherst kidz for believing this, because when you\'ve spent 18 years eating shitpies while growing up in Anytown, MA, and then you go off to college in Amherst and discover Antonio\'s, Antonio\'s is the greatest pie you\'ve ever had.

I never thought Antonio\'s was that special.  Just a great location.

location, location, location
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

Wolfman

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 11:23:56 am »
Original .info apizza thread here.  Fun read.

citroen

• http://www.myspace.com/bmx_babe
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 10:05:04 pm »

Pinnochio\'s in Amherst is so good.  I love their veggie calzone with big green olives & spinach & red peppers.  That is amazing.  Antonio\'s is allright, but I favor Pinnochio\'s.  Amherst has the BEST food in general.  Wish Amber Waves was still open.  That breakfast place that opened after Amber Waves is the best breakfast place I have ever been to.  Their vegan omelettes with veggie sausage, soy cheddar, & kalamata olives is the best.  The Buddha\'s Delight at Amherst Chinese Food is another top pick as well as the Sharberry Juice.    :drool:
Mrs. Donnie Wahlberg

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:08 pm »
I thought of this thread while switching planes in San Diego this morning.

With Dave Peck coming out to San Diego for Breakwest tour, he\'ll have to try this place and see how it ranks among the hometown joints.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Wolfman

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 11:12:32 pm »
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;180886

With Dave Peck coming out to San Diego for Breakwest tour, he\'ll have to try this place and see how it ranks among the hometown joints.

It doesn\'t matter how good it is.  If Dave admits that it\'s better than anything in New Haven then he will be disowned by every Italian in New Haven, which is everybody.  So he can\'t admit that it\'s better, even if it is.  Not that it\'s going to be a problem because the chances that this place is actually better than the top joints in New Haven are about the same as Ron Paul\'s chances to win the presidential election.  

Allow me to translate what a New Havenite says about another pizza, and what it means for the rest of us.

New Havenite says............what it means:    

"That was the worst fucking pie in the world" (followed by 5 minute rant)...............It really is bad

"That pie sucked ass".................................................Mediocre

"It wasn\'t the worst pie I\'ve ever had.  It was better than starving"..................Pretty good

"It was alright I guess.  I\'d have it again"...............................Very good

"It was actually decent"..............................Excellent

"Meh, I don\'t want to talk about it".............................Better than New Haven
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:20:54 pm by Wolfman »

citroen

• http://www.myspace.com/bmx_babe
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 12:11:10 am »

I was in Newport Beach today & wanted to drive down to take you to Basic Pizza at 10th & J in San Diego.  I think it\'s better than Jimmy\'s.  You gotta get a large red pie w/ mozz & mashed potatoes & tomatoes.  The best.  Next time you are down here, you have to go there so you can at least give your 2 cents to this board.  The mashed potatoes are the best topping.  :holyshit:
Mrs. Donnie Wahlberg

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 09:01:26 pm »

and here we are.

first, i would like everyone here to go back and read through the entire thread before reading my post.

leith just took peaches, mike, and me to Basic in SD. he\'s been telling us about it since yesterday, and i was really "iffy" about it going in. sorry, but after hearing about "the best pizza in new york" for years, and trying shitpie after shitpie from that damn city, i just don\'t trust anyone when it comes to pizza.

the entire experience just got more surreal by the minute, from the very moment we arrived and i saw the outside of the place. "holy shit. this is BAR." peaches and i took some pictures of the outside of the place (which is right across the street from PETCO Park - where the Padres play) before we headed in.

as we walked to our table, we saw a couple other tables with pies, and the pie looked good. can\'t judge a book by its cover, but you can usually tell a shitpie when you see one. i looked at another table and saw a salad. it didn\'t take me more than a one-second glance to know that it was a "BAR Salad". sure enough, we got to our table and looked at the menu, and it\'s got all the same ingredients.

i walked and looked around in awe. the bar side, the dining room side, the single pool table, the garage doors, the comfy couch room, the supercute waitress... this was no coincidence. this place is *definitely* modeled after BAR.

i knew what i had to do. mike and i split a large red chicken & onion with mozz, which is my favorite BAR pie, and what i always order there. peaches got a mashed potato and bacon (where else do they serve that??), and leith got a red bacon & mozz.

the pies came out, and at this point, i already knew i wasn\'t going to be disappointed. there was no chance this place would go through the trouble of being a west coast BAR and serving up a shitpie. and i wasn\'t disappointed in the least.

was it as good as BAR\'s pizza? no. but there\'s no way i could/would ever expect it to be. it was, however, DAMN good, and certainly miles beyond anything i would ever expect from anything west of connecticut. the pies were the same oval shape as BAR, with a similar cut. the ingredients were a little different - onions and chicken were sort of shredded instead of diced like BAR. both the onions and chicken had similar tastes (to BAR) though. the sauce and the mozz were both really strong. if there was a weak point, i\'d say it was the dough. they made a nice thin crust, but it was a little too buttery/crunchy/flaky. not bad in the least bit, but that was the weak point.

it just kept getting more and more surreal. we\'ve got all this going on, and peaches says, "is that david wells?". sure enough, it was. not a huge deal, but pretty wild nonetheless. i had texted tim to tell him about what was going on. he asked me to order him a small mozz to go so he could check it out. when the waitress brought it out, i saw the website name on the pizza box: http://www.barbasic.com. i had to ask her what she knew about the history of the place, and she told us the owner used to live in new haven, and she thinks he used to work at BAR. she totally understood the pizza snobbery, because there is NO other pizza like them on the west coast, and they\'re actually opening up two other ones soon. and it turns out she and her friend are going to see the breakfast tonight! :wah:

i was a doubter. big time. but i was definitely more than pleasantly surprised. it was VERY good, and while i *never* eat pizza away from home, i would most certainly eat pizza in SD again. thanks leith. :thumbsup:

Wolfman

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 09:32:58 pm »
Excellent review of BAR West.  Glad the pie was good.  Do they make their own beer too?  Speaking of New York shitpie, tomorrow I\'m off to America\'s other great overrated pizza city: Chicago.  (BRING IT Ricky!)  

Now we know how David Wells got so fat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:35:41 pm by Wolfman »

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 09:54:14 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;186041
Excellent review of BAR West.  Glad the pie was good.  Do they make their own beer too?

Good question....did they have the watermelon ale???

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:57 pm »
creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set