Author Topic: Update, news, and responses  (Read 3403 times)

Matt o

Update, news, and responses
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:41:58 am »
Hi, matt o here.  We just got back from a very odd gig.  Caitlin played amazingly as always.  
topics:
1. OSIRIS:  no more blah blah/ osiris on mondays.  its time has come and gone.  glad it happened as it was how I met Adrian.  Thank you to everyone who attended and supported.  

2. VOCALS:  we\'ve been talking alot about vocals lately(you guys too, i guess)
my 2 pesos:  I think vocals is the most important thing for this band to improve upon.  I feel bad that i have to put you guys through my singing while i am learning, but i can\'t think of a better way to improve than to start trying.  burlington was my first time singing alot on a gig.  It is super awkward for me.  Since burlington, i\'m taking 2 lessons a week and i am hugely determined to become a good singer and to make the vocals in this band better.  Time to step up!  burlington was a whirlwind, i heard lawn boy for the first time 2 weeks before we played it.  and when i heard mike gordon was there, well, that didnt help my nerves any.(though he was incredibly cool!)  

3. NEXT PHASE OF THE BAND + a question for .infoers:
i spent the last few months learning a ton of breakfast tunes and covers.  now its time for some new songs.  here is my question for you guys:
personally, i\'ve been tempted to write more laid back stuff for the band to give a release from the intensity of alot of the tunes.  I\'m curious if anyone feels that way or if everyone wants more intensity.  I\'m not trying to make it into an tamer band, I just want more human rhythms represented.  
what do you prefer:
a: shows that are intense/loud/fast all the way through  or
b: shows where there is more of a mix of softer stuff and abstract jams +the intense stuff

4.  SOME PEOPLE OFFERED HELP WITH PROMOTION LAST TIME I WROTE,  and we were not able to use it yet because we have been so focused on the music.  I apologize for this.  I think we will soon be ready to use more help.  

Huge thanks to everyone for all of the support and good vibes and for being part of the music!

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 02:06:07 am »
Quote from: Matt o;167371

i spent the last few months learning a ton of breakfast tunes and covers.  now its time for some new songs.  here is my question for you guys:
personally, i\'ve been tempted to write more laid back stuff for the band to give a release from the intensity of alot of the tunes.  I\'m curious if anyone feels that way or if everyone wants more intensity.  I\'m not trying to make it into an tamer band, I just want more human rhythms represented.  
what do you prefer:
b: shows where there is more of a mix of softer stuff and abstract jams +the intense stuff

How about an Oestreicher-driven tune?  Check out Azymuth\'s song \'Jazz Carnival\'.  Ser synth, organ work there!

1. OSIRIS:  no more blah blah/ osiris on mondays.  its time has come and gone.  glad it happened as it was how I met Adrian.  Thank you to everyone who attended and supported.  

Glad I got to see an Osiris gig!!  Nice to meet you there!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 02:33:08 am by alexanderzurflu »
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

sąikidélik

• whateva will dangle do ya
    • http://www.myspace.com/bolofmanutoes
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:06:39 am »
Hey man I dont think you have any problems with your vocals. If you listen to any of the prior breakfast, say anything before 2003 you can tell that vocals were not a huge part of the concentration. I can point out several occasions where jordan or timmy p\'s voice cracked and no one payed it no mind. But listen now they are better and better every show. You just need a little time and seriously you were fuckin great the the freakout. As for songs and setlists it really depends on the venue. Say the stonechurch for example i would try and go with a high intensity setlist. But if you were to play like the century lounge you might feel obliged to throw in a slow song or two. You just have to realize that everyone is in a breakfast mood and loves the highs and the lows but what everyone is lookinging forward to is the insanity. If you need help writing setlist just let me know. I will see you soon and look forward to your new contribution to the group.

Inner_Score

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:26:33 am »
Matt, like you, I\'m new to the Breakfast as well--and as of right now, I\'m trying to get use to the fact that what I just read actually came from a member in the band. So, before I embarass myself, let me just say one thing: just keep on rockin\'. Seriously. I love the sound you guys have.

And if you want a suggestion on intensity, try a cover of "All Along The Watchtower".

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 11:15:28 am »
On the topic of vocals....thanks for trying to get better and please continue to do so, but don\'t beat yourself up or get stressed out over it either. Amazing vocals would be cool but it\'s not why any of us go to the shows. It would make you more appealing to new fans though so stick with the lessons and again thanks for your willingness and effort to improve.

It depends.....

If your talking about more softer jazzy stuff that is mellow but at the same time groovy so you can DANCE and move to it then I say yes, bring it on.  

If your talking about ballads that bring the show to a screeching halt and make the entire crowd stand there with their arms at their side and feet cemented to the ground..HELL NO. Please don\'t do that.

Don\'t be afraid to go a little softer. Just don\'t go too soft and keep it tasteful and fun and DANCEABLE.....always danceable.

In the end though it\'s up to you guys.  Don\'t be afraid to write and play whats in your brain and your heart and your soul because of what the fan response might be.  

I think everyone would be down with a little more balance.

We don\'t want to be put to sleep but a hip and groovy jazz tune or a reggae tune or something totally new to take it down a notch but not kill the momentum between ragers would be great.

A show should not be just rage rage rage from start to finish.  It should be diverse but still have a recognizable and enjoyable flow to it, going many different places and hitting many different styles an just mixing it up and keeping it interesting and unpredictable.

I think you have added a great deal of balance to the band already though.  Before you came along most of the jams were just start low and build it up to freakout intensity then end it.

Since you came along many jams have gone in various unexpected and interesting directions and the results at times have been phenomenal. There is a new found freedom and patience and exploratory nature in the jams. I am really thankful for that.

I like the super built up freak outs as much as the next guy but there are so many different ways to go and the most memorable, most EPIC of jams comes out of just letting go, letting it all hang out and going wherever the universe dictates.

Keep bringing the diversity. There are so many different styles out there and you guys are good enough musicians and creative enough to master many of them and incorporate a huge variety of good styles into your songs and the jams that accompany them.

You presence in the band has without a doubt taken things to the next level and made me very excited for the future.

So keep up the good work!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:07:19 pm by Klout »

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:54:36 am »

what do you prefer:

:thumbsup: I think this is a great idea -- many new fans are not used to the unique, high-tempo music of the band...
I\'ll probably hear a lot of shit for saying it, but I think newbs might prefer something that\'s a bit more simple, with awesome jams throughout.  Something that will grab the listener, and have them singing/humming along.  I\'m also not saying to change the Breakfast into a "tame" band, but just tone it down once in a while!
The music is great if you already know the tunes, but I think it\'s time for the band to take a new approach to songs/songwriting that is much more inspired by jazz & blues.  Check out Tricky Ways for example:  danceable & "catchy."

I\'d be interested to see what tunes you guys come up with in the next year - whatever road you take, it\'s sure to be one hell of a ride!
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:00:38 pm »
matt- you do a great job and we are all really happy to have you in the band. :)
write what you want...but I do enjoy to dance so lets not slow the shows down.
I definatly dont want to see anything "pop" @ a breakfast show either...newbs or no newbs.
rock on!
:banguitar: :banboogy2:

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:41 pm »
Matt this band has never known show dynamics. I am sure you can help them figure it out. A lot of people on this board have no idea how a killer ballad in the right spot can lift a show rather than halt it. Spacier jams can lead to incredibly built intense jams with raging ferocity in the hands of the right band.

Oh and check your private msg. box pls.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 12:51:26 pm »
First of all, I agree with everything Klout said.

Matt, thanks for the hard work that you have been putting in to this band. Your dedication is exactly what the Breakfast needs. I can\'t beleive you learned Lawn Boy in 2 weeks on top of all of the Breakfast tunes! That is truely amazing. The fact that you are taking singing lessons is awesome. That is something that every member in the band should be doing, and it shows how much you want to make things work out.

As far as your question about bringing slower tunes to the table, DO IT! Especially if they are more abstract jam vehicles. The Breakfast doesn\'t really have that many spaced out, calm, slow jams. If you can bring this aspect to the band and make it work, then you will be bringing even more balance to this band and that is a great thing. After vocals, I think the #2 complaint about this band is that they are "too intense"/"Tim plays too many notes." This complaint happens to be one of the reasons I love the Breakfast, but if the shows were not all balls to the wall from start to finish, and there were more patient space jams, people might be able to appreciate it more. Don\'t be affraid to experiment, and the more music that is written the better. If certain tunes don\'t work out for whatever reason, that will become apparent and you can play those songs less or whatever.

Anyways, it is so cool how you are not afraid to get on thebreakfast.info and directly ask the fans for input. Thanks for caring about this band and thanks for rocking the fuck out!
-George
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:54:16 pm by Gfunk »
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 12:52:55 pm »

4.  SOME PEOPLE OFFERED HELP WITH PROMOTION LAST TIME I WROTE,  and we were not able to use it yet because we have been so focused on the music.  I apologize for this.  I think we will soon be ready to use more help.  

I offered last time. nobody wanted to listen to me.  tell whoever is in charge of promotion to PM me if they want.

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 01:12:02 pm »
matt, you\'re definitely a powerful and important addition to the lineup.  it was great jamming with you guys last night.

if theres one word that sums up what i love about this band, it\'s "intensity".  now, that said, i dont think intensity needs to be achieved ONLY using fast crazy loud music.  for example, the ending of the grand scheme of things at daniel street was intense, but it was not loud, and it was certainly not fast.  i think intensity can be achieved a number of ways that the band hasn\'t really explored yet, and it seems that you are an integral part in making that happen.
Postcount +1.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:10 pm »
tension and release. that defines intensity.

matt i met you in colorado and you seem cool as hell. we all want to hear what kind of tunes you have up your sleeve, so definitely break a couple out. catchy songs are key, as long as they have that cool-chord-changes-crazy-melody thing going on. you know what i mean.

the next album should be all new stuff. you guys are a new band and 2008 is gonna be huge for you guys so i say its time to start working on a concept album.

maybe you guys should get some barbershop quartet lessons. your vocals would be NAILED after that.

we\'re psyched for the breakfast. matt you are an amazing keyboard player and the fact you have never heard phish before and learned it in 2 weeks is purely phenomenal. actually, no, the fact you have been learning BREAKFAST songs is phenomenal... phish has come and gone. the breakfast is where it\'s at now.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 06:24:11 pm »
wow, a lot of this feedback is stuff i have really been thinking about a lot lately, nice work all.

i guess my main advice is pretty analogous with Klout\'s perspective.... keep that crowd moving! I love when I\'m at a breakfast show, dancing around in the crowd, and everyone around me is pickin up on the same rhythm. It builds a really unique and powerful energy and, I think, it\'s the interplay of such energy from the band and crowd that really drives epic shows.

As far as new music, awesome, i like the phrase "human rhythms" matt, and I hope we are interpreting this the same way. I prefer nice, universal grooves that people from all musical backgrounds would like. a lot of the breakfast tunes i know and love, however, are full of quick changes and sharp tempo shifts. hopefully you guys can keep this style alive, and still incorporate some good jams.

keep up the good work, the vocals are comin along, and i feel like the jams are starting to get tighter... it\'s really good to hear that progress is being made, after all where would we all be without the ability to evolve.... i hope wherever the wind takes you guys, i can follow along. . .
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 09:13:32 pm »
I dunno. Listen to recordings from your last show @ Daniel St. and do more stuff like that.

jam > GBFBITS > Space Oddity > Rufus ..... sick sick sick
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 09:34:06 pm »
and the GBFBITS>MOOBOO\'s from syracuse.

Still the best jamming I have heard the band produce since the new line up.

http://www.archive.org/details/breakfast2007-09-22.bk4022.acm671.burke.flac16