Author Topic: What the hell is the matter with people in CT?  (Read 2015 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
What the hell is the matter with people in CT?
« on: October 02, 2007, 11:45:01 am »

Substitute Senate Bill No. 1043

Public Act No. 07-206

AN ACT CONCERNING THE PROTECTION OF CONSUMERS FROM UNLICENSED CONTRACTORS, CRIMINAL SIMULATION AND THE RESALE OF TICKETS TO ENTERTAINMENT EVENTS. [/B]

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. Subsection (a) of section 20-341 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2007):

(a) Any person who engages in or practices the work or occupation for which a license is required by this chapter without having first obtained an apprentice permit or a certificate and license for such work, or who wilfully employs or supplies for employment a person who does not have a certificate and license for such work, or who wilfully and falsely pretends to qualify to engage in or practice such work or occupation, or who engages in or practices any of the work or occupations for which a license is required by this chapter after the expiration of [his] such person\'s license, or who violates any other provision of this chapter, unless the penalty is otherwise specifically prescribed, shall be [fined not more than two hundred dollars for each such violation] guilty of a class B misdemeanor. Notwithstanding subsection (d) of section 53a-29 or section 54-56e, if the court determines that a person who violated the provisions of this subsection cannot fully repay any victim of the violations committed by such person within the period of probation established in subsection (d) of section 53a-29 or section 54-56e, the court may impose probation for a period of not more than five years.

Sec. 2. Section 53a-141 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2007):

(a) A person is guilty of criminal simulation when: (1) With intent to defraud, he makes or alters any object in such manner that it appears to have an antiquity, rarity, source or authorship which it does not in fact possess; or (2) with knowledge of its true character and with intent to defraud, he issues or possesses an object so simulated.

(b) Criminal simulation is a class [A misdemeanor] D felony.

Sec. 3. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2007) (a) Any person who resells a ticket to an entertainment event, including, but not limited to, a sporting event, a concert or a theatrical or operatic performance, shall refund to the purchaser of such ticket the full amount, including all service fees and delivery charges, paid by the purchaser for such ticket if any of the following occurs: (1) The event for which the ticket is resold is cancelled; (2) the ticket received by the purchaser does not grant the purchaser admission to the event described on the ticket; or (3) the ticket fails to conform to its description as advertised by the ticket reseller.

(b) A person who resells a ticket pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall provide the purchaser of such ticket with such ticket reseller\'s name, address and telephone number or other information necessary to allow such purchaser to contact such ticket reseller to obtain a refund of the ticket price, if necessary.

(c) A violation of subdivision (1) or (2) of subsection (a) of this section or of subsection (b) of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Sec. 4. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2007) (a) No person shall resell, offer to resell or solicit the resale of a ticket to an entertainment event, including, but not limited to, a sporting event, a concert or a theatrical or operatic performance, on the day of such event, within one thousand five hundred feet of the physical structure where such event is scheduled to take place, if such resale is not authorized, in writing, by the owner or operator of such structure or event or a duly authorized agent of such owner or operator.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section do not apply to a ticket reseller who: (1) Resells a ticket for not greater than the face value printed on the ticket; or (2) maintains a permanent office within one thousand five hundred feet of the physical structure where the entertainment event is scheduled to take place provided such reseller sells, offers to resell or solicits the resale of a ticket only within the premises of such office in person, by mail, telephone or over the Internet.

(c) A violation of subsection (a) of this section is a class A misdemeanor.

Sec. 5. Section 53-289 of the general statutes is repealed. (Effective October 1, 2007)

Approved July 5, 2007

source

I fucking hate scalpers. If it was possible for me to become any more libertarian, I would. Excuse me while I puke. :banghead:

basically what this means is, before if you were caught selling for any amount over $3 the amount listed as the price on the ticket, you were fined. Now, as long as you stay 1,500 feet from the venue on the day of the event, you can charge whatever price you want to and it is legal. Who the hell does this help?
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:44 am »
i don\'t get it.

it sucks if a scalper gets a ticket before you do, but :shrug:, try harder next time.

and what problem do you have with this law? it\'s offering protection to people who purchase tickets from scalpers.

i dunno.. i\'m of the belief that if you buy something, you should be able to do what you want with it, including reselling it for a higher value if that\'s what you wanna do. if people are willing to pay more, why the hell not?

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:59:34 am »
I think that\'s the way it is in Jersey also.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:51:44 pm »
nevermind.. i was just watching the news and realized that this is probably the story paul meant to post:

http://wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7155978

For today, he\'s the \'Boss\' of Conn.

Posted Oct. 2, 2007
7:15 AM

Hartford (WTNH) _ Today is the second day of October, and it\'s also "Bruce Springsteen Day" in Connecticut.

Springsteen and his E Street Band will launch their new tour tonight at the Hartford Civic Center.

They also have a new CD called "Magic" out today.

Gov. Jodi Rell says she wanted to recognize Springsteen and his band for their contributions to American music history.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:53:47 pm »
Can\'t start a fire without a spark...
Smell my mule.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:37:45 pm »
I wish I was going to the show.  Unfortunately, Bruce has made it hard to get to shows with one or two shows in a location and ticket prices starting at $69+ fees.  Hopefully he\'ll put out a live album for those of us that can\'t afford $140+ parking night.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 02:54:45 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;161581
I wish I was going to the show.  Unfortunately, Bruce has made it hard to get to shows with one or two shows in a location and ticket prices starting at $69+ fees.  Hopefully he\'ll put out a live album for those of us that can\'t afford $140+ parking night.

didn\'t he put the entire new album up on the internet for free ? I thought I had read that or heard it on the radio
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:05:25 pm »
Nope - he put the first single, Radio Nowhere up for free for one week.  There\'s one of his rehearsal shows up on sugarmegs.org, but that seems like to tempting a treat to get for free.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 03:08:22 pm »
<< not down w/ the boss
scalping is fine by me though.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 04:04:58 pm »
I dunno, I know everyone loves ebay and reselling stuff and for most things it\'s fine to me for most everything else, but I\'ve always hated scalpers because they buy up all the tickets and then bump up the prices so high that you have no choice but to have crappy seats, scalp, or skip the show.

I would have no problem paying that money if I really liked the band that much and I knew it was going to the band, but it\'s not. It\'s going into some guys pocket who has nothing to do with them other than he got into ticketmasters purchase page before you did. That\'s why I\'ll buy the radiohead album for $80. I like them and all of that money is going to them, but I wouldn\'t but the album off of ebay for $80 if it was bought by someone for $14 earlier.

I just don\'t like scalpers. Probably the result of growing up during the pearl jam/congress era of the 90s
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SkyePrizm

• separator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 04:24:15 pm »
Quote from: Gfunk;161594
<< not down w/ the boss
scalping is fine by me though.

same here.....

SlimPickens

• just the tip
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 04:31:08 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;161614
It\'s going into some guys pocket who has nothing to do with them other than he got into ticketmasters purchase page before you did.

Scalpers will often hire hundreds of phone/internet mules to gobble tickets to big shows.  That\'s just bogus shit.

But I\'m not gonna complain too much.  Because, I\'ve used there services, frequently thanking them for taking all of my money.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 05:54:55 pm »
So basically Paul, you do not approve of our very own davepeck\'s nintendo wii eBay practices? :duck:
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
:hehehe:

i miss Wii-bay though.. that was some NICE extra income over the holidays.

sallyalli

• NewHampshire Fordamnsure
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 08:33:55 pm »
They dont hold the door for anyone. They dont say please or thank you, and they have no problem passing you on the right.
:banguitar: :banboogy2: