Poll

Which commish would you LEAST like to be right now?

oger Goodell - NFL - dealing with Michael Vick and Pacman Jones
3 (33.3%)
ud Selig - MLB - dealing with Barry Bonds
0 (0%)
avid Stern - NBA - dealing with Tim Donaghy
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Which commissioner would you least like to be right now?  (Read 3195 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Which commissioner would you least like to be right now?
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:58:44 pm »
Based solely on the current scandal headaches (Bonds for MLB, Vick and Jones for NFL, Tim Donaghy for NBA), which commish would you LEAST like to be?  Bud Selig for MLB, Roger Goodell for NFL, or David Stern for NBA?  

I think Selig has it the easiest.  So Bonds took a few roids.  Big whoop.  It\'s pretty much a victimless crime, especially compared to supporting dogfighting, game fixing, or shootings.  Bonds looks like a saint now and not a moment too soon.  He was a superstar anyhow and might have gotten the record either way.

I would least like to be Goodell.  While the NBA ref scandal has deep repercussions, I think people are more apt to hate on the dogfighting (Vick) and gangbanging (Pacman) because the pain and victims are more visceral and because the perpetrators are black.    

Who would you least like to be?

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 01:35:07 pm »
i\'d have to agree. the nfl is prob this country\'s most popular sport. the nfl scandals are on a more personal level on how they affect the public. bonds useage of steroids only affects his body. the ref only affects gamblers and the nba as a whole but not the individual fan. with all the nfl players making news in the past 2 years (bengals aren\'t the only one) this league is going towards the nba with its image. i just hope it cleans it up in the near future and takes more strict actions against its violators.
Smell my mule.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:14:40 pm »
While there are decent people in the league, the NBA has too many alumni from Homeboy U.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:16:39 pm »
Goodell has the NFL on the right track. MLB cares little about the roids even though they may act different. NBA is going to be a mess especially if this guy talks and they find that the gambling is more widespread than imagined.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:57:10 pm »
:hscratch:  Where\'s the "I don\'t give a crap" button? ;)
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:00:45 pm »
I voted for the Stern. This gambling thing is going to be alot bigger than most people think. It is going to put the NBA\'s image in the shitter (not that it already isn\'t there for some of us, myself included), I mean how can you support a league who\'s refs (and players, you watch) shave points off games? It\'s just pathetic really. At least the NFL\'s problems are from individual players, they do not have an effect on the outcome of a game, and it is not the image of the entire league that\'s being affected. MLB and the Bonds thing is way too bashed. I think the only reason why people aren\'t as into the record isn\'t because of Bonds\' assholeness or alleged steroid use; I think it\'s because people basically, just do not care about baseball as much as they did back then. It is no longer "America\'s pastime", that now belongs to football. And for the record, basketball in general is the easiest sport to fix anyway, especially by refs, so I do not see how it is such a surprise of this coming to light.

And also, I would have voted for Gary Bettman if he was on the ballot. Though there are not too many, if any, scandals or whatever going on, that guy has the toughest job out of the four major commissioners, he\'s had to try to help his league win back tons of fans and television audiences, and has failed to do so.

And I\'m also tired of sportscasters and the like saying the home run record is the greatest record in sports. Hell, it\'s not even the greatest record in baseball. It\'s probably third in baseball behind the 56 game hitting streak and Cal\'s consecutive game streak (neither of which will ever be broken).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:04:33 pm by antbach »
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:30:42 pm »
Gotta go w/ Stern.  I like the guy, and feel bad for him.  his sport is dying while he\'s at the helm, and he\'s tried multiple times to get it back on track to no avail.  the NFL, although it may have its problems, is still the #1 sport in America, and will continue to be so.

Wolfman

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:23:36 pm »
Yeah I was gonna throw Bettman in there with the challenge being "your league sucks" but I was more interested in people\'s take based strictly on the current scandals and didn\'t want to get into leagues as a whole.  Obviously you\'d be the NFL commish if that were the discussion, because Vick or no Vick you\'d still be the king of the American sports landscape.  But I\'m more into which scandal would you least like to deal with.

I thought about throwing Vince McMahon in there too dealing with Chris Benoit but then I said screw it.

Come to think of it, American pro sport sure can be a bitch to follow.  Look at all these jackasses.  It\'s unreal.  I\'ve been getting more and more into other avenues of sport lately, especially high-level Ultimate (for following), mid-level Ultimate (for playing) and endurance sports like Tour De France, triathlons, and distance running (playing and watching).  And the day my body breaks down is the day I start my youth sports coaching career.  I know there\'s plenty of scandals in other sports too (well, not in Ultimate, but certainly competitive endurance sports) but regardless, the fact that I\'m seeking out other sport to follow may be partially atributable to the fact that a lot of the mainstream sports are too f-ed up to enjoy sometimes.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 05:41:56 pm »
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 07:52:41 pm »
Quote from: Wolfman;153306
I\'ve been getting more and more into other avenues of sport lately, especially high-level Ultimate (for following), mid-level Ultimate (for playing)

i assume your talking about ultimate frisbee. this sport is awesome! ive been playing it competitively since \'98. there are a ton of leagues and club level teams in the boston area so you definitely have it made in the shade. an older friend and myself started a syracuse league system about 5 years ago. we have year round ultimate (indoor in the winter time). its a lot of fun but i look forward to club practices/tournaments much more. thats where the real competition is.

[/thread hijack]
Smell my mule.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:51 pm »
I want to be Gary Bettman, commissioner of NHL. Sure no one watches, but he\'s the only one not sweating it out over anything right now. Other than getting the teams and players to keep from striking over pay on occasion.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Whathefunk

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 10:11:32 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;153309

:lol:

Wolfman

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 09:03:46 am »
Quote from: booztravlr;153312
Quote from: Wolfman;153306
I\'ve been getting more and more into other avenues of sport lately, especially high-level Ultimate (for following), mid-level Ultimate (for playing)

i assume your talking about ultimate frisbee. this sport is awesome! ive been playing it competitively since \'98. there are a ton of leagues and club level teams in the boston area so you definitely have it made in the shade. an older friend and myself started a syracuse league system about 5 years ago. we have year round ultimate (indoor in the winter time). its a lot of fun but i look forward to club practices/tournaments much more. thats where the real competition is.

[/thread hijack]

Yeah, I\'m definitely talking Ultimate Frisbee.  I\'m in my 7th season right now and playing better than ever.  Boston is the place to be for sure.  About 100 teams in 6 leagues, 1,200 players, 4 seasons a year.  Can\'t beat it.  

That\'s sport for the real sports fan.  Forget these overpaid criminals and punks in bigtime pro sports.  They can be entertaining for sure, but after some 22 years of general sports fandom I\'m beginning to realize that they\'re not the pinnacle of the craft.  The real champions are the self-made athletes running marathons in 3-5 hours, the people doing the Boston>New York bike ride for ALS, the people playing grassroots-organized Ultimate Frisbee, the youth sports coaches and players.  You know, it\'s not unlike realizing that these little jambands and jazz ensembles are 100 times better than anything on the radio.  Sure, the bigtime acts can be entertaining too, but the real good stuff is hidden somewhere underneath.  I came to this realization about music early on, around age 12.  I\'m surprised it took me this long to really wake up to the same fact in terms of sport.  I always sort of knew it but never fully realized it.          

For me, the best entertainment in sport is to play Ultimate at the highest level I can, and spectate at the levels above.  That\'s where I\'m steering my kids.  Obviously they\'re going to be exposed to bigtime pro sports since it\'s on TV and all their friends will be into it.  I\'ll certainly teach them about all of the big games too.  But I\'ll be sure to let them in on the whole truth early and all the caveats that come with it.  And hopefully they\'ll catch on fairly quickly as to where the real competition is.

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 06:04:30 pm »
was never good at ultimate frisbee, i\'ll stick with bocce.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Wolfman

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 11:05:02 pm »
Bocce players are heroes too.