Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  (Read 5645 times)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 04:05:07 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;176231
<- still working his way through book 5.

me too. but for the. . .fuck, can\'t remember, probably 8th time. I agree with the best ever comment, but then again I have nothing to compare it to because I do not read much other material besides the Potter series and Chuck Palahniuk.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Klout

• Ser Face Tunage
    • http://www.myspace.com/klout
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 10:12:39 pm »
listen to the audio books by read by steven fry. it\'s so much better that way.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »
ok, I have now after 6 months :wah: give or take of reading completed the entire series. I have not read this thread yet, but mandler, you may now have the conversation with me you\'ve been dying to all this time.

Oh, and this was very, very well written. However I think I still have to give it up to dark tower being a better series.

Now to attack 6 months worth of books that were added to the "next to read" list. First stop is either moby dick or gravity\'s rainbow.

ahhhhh... :)
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 02:04:40 pm »
J.K. Rowling is back.
Harry Potter\'s adventures ended in 2007 with Deathly Hallows, the seventh book in the blockbuster series, but The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a book of five fairy tales written and illustrated by Rowling, goes on sale Thursday. First printing: 3.5 million copies. (Hallows\' first printing was 12 million.)

Like the Potter books, review copies aren\'t available to critics, and the contents haven\'t been leaked on the Internet.

But Rowling\'s star power and healthy sales of young-adult books, including Stephenie Meyer\'s immensely popular Twilight series, are strong indicators that Beedle will be a best seller.

And then there\'s the fact that Beedle has a direct link to the boy wizard\'s adventures: Beedle is the book that Hogwarts headmaster Albus Dumbledore bequeaths to Harry\'s friend Hermione Granger in Deathly Hallows.

Advance sales of the $12.99 edition, which retailers including Borders, Barnes & Noble and Amazon are offering at a deep discount, are brisk on the three booksellers\' websites.

Amazon also is publishing 100,000 copies of a $100 collector\'s edition.

Amazon\'s Daphne Durham is not ready to predict that Beedle will be the biggest book of the holiday season, but she expects sales to be strong.

The stories in Beedle hold clues that help Harry destroy his mortal enemy Lord Voldemort. They are described as fables that wizard parents tell their children.

Only one Beedle story — "The Tale of the Three Brothers" —is recounted in Deathly Hallows. It and the other four are in Rowling\'s new book: "The Fountain of Fair Fortune," "The Warlock\'s Hairy Heart," "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" and "Rabbitty Babbitty and Her Cackling Stump."

"They feel like folk tales or fairy tales that have been around forever," says Arthur Levine of Scholastic, Rowling\'s U.S. publisher. "They\'re as good as any Grimm tale that you might have read in your own childhood. But that\'s just Rowling\'s incredible skill."

Last year Rowling produced seven illustrated, hand-written copies of Beedle. She gave six to close friends and one to The Children\'s High Level Group (CHLG), a charity she helped found in 2005. Amazon bought it at auction for $4 million.

CHLG, needing more money for its work, is publishing Beedle in collaboration with Scholastic, Bloomsbury, Rowling\'s U.K. publisher, and Amazon. The book will be published in 38 languages.

Net proceeds will help institutionalized children in European countries including Romania, the Czech Republic, Georgia, Moldova and Armenia.

"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 02:10:45 pm »
Yeah - I put this on my Christmas for my wife
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 04:12:37 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;181218
moby dick

In my top 5 most hated novels.
Masturbation in the MFA

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 04:26:13 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;212398
Quote from: FrankZappa;181218
moby dick

In my top 5 most hated novels.

It\'s the name isn\'t it :)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 07:16:32 pm »
No way! I like Moby, and dick!

Oh god.

:duck:
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:37 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;212411
No way! I like Moby, and dick!

Oh god.

:duck:

hehehehe. luckily the people who would normally make fun of that don\'t read that much and certainly don\'t read harry potter so you\'re probably safe.

Moby Dick is not his best work though. bartleby the scrivener is one of my top 5 best books. :thumbsup: