Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Anticipation Thread [SPOILERS]  (Read 6177 times)

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
If it can get this many kids to read and this dumbass to finish a book or 5 then she is doing something right. Dont know how they stock up against "great" works but I find thats she tells a good tale which I enjoy. (and I guess many others as well)

These other books u mention I shall take agander at.

My GF got the book this morning and started reading and hasn put the thing down since I left and returned from Mystic. Shes almost done!!!
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
I spent all day Saturday reading the book, only put it down for bathroom and food breaks.

I still think Goblet is the best book in the series. But this one was still extremely good, and I\'d say it is just behind Goblet, but not by much. I was a little disappointed though. I thought there would be much more action than there actually was. What she did accomplish was setting up a HUGE finale in book seven, that even though its probably two years away, I am very excited for. I do have to say that it is very very evident that the characters are growing/grown up in this book, basically they\'re banging like rabbits if you think about it. I don\'t know how to use those black out tags, so I suggest if you don\'t want to be spoiled do not read any further.

I\'m no writer so I won\'t go into a chapter by chapter review. But here are a few things that I think were important, and some without a doubt shocked me:

• Rowling released an excerpt some time ago that many people, myself included, believed to be a description of the Half-blood Prince (HBP). The excerpt was taken from the first chapter and was not a description of the HBP, but rather the new minister of magic.

• Rowling uses the word "slut" in this book. Though not important to the main characters (its not used to describe any Hogwarts students), I thought it was a pretty odd word to find in a children\'s book.

• Snape finally becomes Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

• Harry becomes extremely good at Potions due to help from notes left in his Potions book; the book belonged to the HBP.

• Harry learns about Voldemort\'s parents, childhood, and why he is almost immortal.

• Ron hooks up with Lavendar Brown, which gets Hermione pissed off and jealous. Harry ends up dating Ginny Weasley and breaks up with her reluctantly at the end.

• Death Eaters manage to get into Hogwarts with the help of Malfoy, who was ordered by Voldemort to kill Dumbledore.

• Dumbledore gets killed by the half-blood prince. (this shocked me, I knew someone important would end up dead, but didn\'t have any thought that it would be him).

• The Half-Blood Prince is Snape. So yea, Snape killed Dumbledore.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
I finished it on Monday night.

What you post above is exactly waht I would have pointed out as being the MAJOR points in the books.

I agree that this book seems more like the first chapters of book 7. I really enjoyed it. I found the history of voldemort to be very interesting. also his moms life living with the syltherin aires. The description she gives of their cabin and what I kept imaging was the scene from Deliverence. With like inbreed wizards getting all onrey with the auror

I thought It was huge regarding hogwarts at the very end of the book.

I agree about the childrens book part but I am not so sure I would characterise this series in the traditional sense. It seems that each book has had a more mature context. like the aging of readers along with the characters
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Not that anyone would care, but I started reading the series from book one again (god, I need cable!). I must say that re-reading them, in order, is quite interesting. There are subtle clues all over the place as to future happenings (most relate to book five and six so far), and I have only gotten through three-quarters of book two in my \'read the series\' quest. My main goal for Chamber of Secrets is why Rowling\'s first working title for this one was HBP, haven\'t figured out that one yet. . .
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator

By Claudia Puig, USA TODAY
The sixth Harry Potter movie is continuing to creep toward its Nov. 21 opening.

The trailer for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince arrives today online and makes its debut in theaters Friday before The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Film editing is complete, says director David Yates, and studio officials will soon see the finished product.

Then next month, test audiences will get a sneak peek — something that doesn\'t seem to faze Yates in the least. "That\'s an incredibly useful process," he says.

The big reveal in the trailer (and in this exclusive photo from it): a glimpse of the young Tom Riddle, who grows up to become the wizarding world\'s most malevolent force, Lord Voldemort.

Voldemort is played by Ralph Fiennes, and his 11-year-old incarnation is played by 10-year-old Hero Fiennes-Tiffin, the actor\'s nephew. Not only does he bear a resemblance to the grown-up Voldemort, but he also has the requisite intensity, Yates says.

"His mother (Martha Fiennes) is a film director, and Hero was very focused and disciplined," Yates says. "The fact that he\'s related to Ralph wasn\'t the primary reason for choosing him. It was an advantage that he looked very similar to Ralph. Of course that was useful. But primarily I went for Hero because of this wonderful haunted quality that seemed to bring Tom Riddle alive on-screen for us."

Yates stressed how hard it can be for very young actors to find the necessary dark place to play such a creepy character.

"But even though he\'s the nicest child you\'d ever want to meet, sweet-natured and pleasant, he got the corners and dark moods and odd spirit of the character."

Audiences also will meet a teenage Voldemort, still known as Tom Riddle. He\'s played by Frank Dillane. The character made an appearance in the second Potter film, Chamber of Secrets, played by a different actor.

"Even at a very young age, Tom Riddle shows tendencies toward cruelty and maliciousness," Yates says. "And it\'s a very unsettling thing to see."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-07-28-potter-trailer_N.htm?se=yahoorefer
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
you just made my day Paul!! Can\'t wait.  Hope this one is in IMAX 3D like Phoenix.

edit:just saw it will be in 3D :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:58:39 pm by Me! »
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
i absolutely cannot wait for this.  the only time i go to the cinema is when HP busts out again
*Gia*

peaches626

it appears this is the trailor, but i really can\'t be sure on youtube- there are a thousand different videos that claim to be the official one....

http://www.youtube.com/v/sBGbKCm_pQQ&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/sBGbKCm_pQQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

looks preeeetty, pretty badass....  the movies are definitely gettin more serious tones and focusing on the darker themes, just as the books progressed...

for people such as boombox who did not get into the series because of the first book, i will say that the first two books are definitely more juvenile and simpler.... the more you get into the series, the story and the characters just develop to a remarkable level and i enjoyed them very much, much more from the third book on....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:01:58 am by peaches626 »
taints rule, gypsies drool!

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
^^^

:wah:

that has def. got to be the trailer.  flick looks fantastic
*Gia*

Me!

• life got in the way
Half Blood Prince pushed back to July \'09

FUCK!  I was just saying today that I can\'t wait till Nov.  Now I have to wait till July \'09? :pissed:
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
DOGSHIT !!!!!   BITCHPISS !!!!!!  seriously can this year get any more lame
*Gia*

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
At least it hasn\'t rained every day.

Oh. Right.
Masturbation in the MFA

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
Quote from: jocelyn;199355

Rain?  What is rain?
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
Quote from: alexanderzurflu;199449
Quote from: jocelyn;199355

Rain?  What is rain?

It\'s raining all day today in Colorado. and it never rains in colorado.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Me!

• life got in the way
new trailer

http://www.youtube.com/v/3zf9IW-R5eI&hl=en&fs=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/3zf9IW-R5eI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

not the best quality, I just threw up the first one I found, but still something new till July.  Oh and I believe this was leaked hence the reason it says "this year"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:33:32 am by Me! »