Author Topic: You can still burn the U.S. flag as protest  (Read 1960 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
You can still burn the U.S. flag as protest
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 07:08:27 pm »
drew: proper way to dispose of a flag is to burn it. But in a certain way. you have to shred it first. Cut apart the blue field of stars. Then cut apart each stripe. Now over an open flame, burn each stripe one at a time and then the blue field. Your also suppose to recite a poem during the process. At least that\'s how we did it.

<- damn, I still remember some stuff from boy scouts. I couldn\'t find an exact link, but I did come across this:
"the American Legion and Boy Scouts burn thousands of flags every year in respectful retirement ceremonies".

(source)

As for Thích Quảng Đức, he was protesting religious suppression. Madame Nhu, the first lady of Vietnam at the time, commented with regard to this that she would "clap hands at seeing another monk barbecue show". This supposedly resulted in her receiving the alias of "Dragon Lady".
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

tmn8r1

• Guitar Slave
    • http://www.thebreakfast.org
anyone who burns a flag is an asshole
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 07:42:54 pm »
people should use their freedom of speech in more productive ways than to desecrate the symbol people have risked their lives for just so the flag burners can voice their discontent with the system.
When words leave off, music begins. - Heinrich Heine

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 08:35:38 pm »
"While I don\'t agree with what Dr. Zoidberg did, I\'ll fight tooth and nail for him because he had the right to do it." - Free Waterfall Sr.

I think there are def better ways to voice your frustration than burning a flag, but it is allowed under the law so I respect the right to burn it. While you may or may not agree that a person should burn a flag for whatever cause, in the USA you are allowed to so I\'m all for it. If you don\'t agree with something but it is being done lawfully, you have two options:

1. Ignore them. Most of the time things like this are done for shock and awe power to draw attention to a specific cause. What would happen if the KKK held a rally and no one came? They wouldn\'t hold many more rallys in that town. They would go somewhere else where people would be outraged and will come to protest. If you protest them, a fight might break out. Then the local news will cover the fight. Then they will have free advertising, which might gain new members to their cause, which was the ultimate goal. If no one goes except people aleady in the klan, they will move on to a different town. (This has been proved with said group many, many times).

2. Do everything you can to get the law changed. Write congress, grass roots a petition, whatever it takes. Let your voice be heard. Freedom of speech is as much of a right as burning a flag. If your outraged at something and you fight for a change, you are engaging politics in a way alot more of us should be doing.

proud to be an independent. :biggrin:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 09:17:42 pm »
Quote from: tmn8r1
people should use their freedom of speech in more productive ways than to desecrate the symbol people have risked their lives for just so the flag burners can voice their discontent with the system.

While I agree with the sentiment. It must be pointed out that They were dying / fighting for our right to burn that flag should we choose. So it is a cycle of life situation. Sure the flag should be respected as well as those who fight for our freedoms. But the freedom of speech is not the protection of speech you happen to agree with.

And just a question. When was the last time an american flag was burned on american soil in protest ? I follow weird articles and politics as best I can and I don\'t remember reading any stories in the recent past where it made mention of a group on US soil burning a flag.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

FrankZappa

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 06:18:00 am »
I\'m sure it still happens but not as often as it did in the late 60\'s. At this point it\'s kinda a cliche throwback and if it does happen it does not get reported on that much. Either way I agree with Kindm\'s. They fought for the right of citizens to burn it if they choose. While you may disagree with it, they do have the right to do it. I also agree with Leith that this bill was an atypical attempt by the facists to stir things up for the midterms.