Author Topic: Wireless antenna question for computer people  (Read 1131 times)

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
Wireless antenna question for computer people
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:16:53 am »
Sorry, not very good with computers but figured some of you might be. I have a HP dv6449 laptop and the wireless antenna just stopped working, I can\'t get it to turn on. I\'ve done alittle research and it looks like this is a problem with a lot of HP laptops that came out the same time I got mine (Aug 07). Some people found a workaround to get it working which is to uninstall the wireless assistant, then reinstall it, but that didn\'t work when I tried it. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

another question would be is there a way to split your cable internet to go to 2 different places (to a computer and to an xbox) without going wireless?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:38:05 am by weekapaug19 »
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:22 am »
Quote from: weekapaug19;259952
Sorry, not very good with computers but figured some of you might be. I have a HP dv6449 laptop and the wireless antenna just stopped working, I can\'t get it to turn on. I\'ve done alittle research and it looks like this is a problem with a lot of HP laptops that came out the same time I got mine (Aug 07). Some people found a workaround to get it working which is to uninstall the wireless assistant, then reinstall it, but that didn\'t work when I tried it. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

another question would be is there a way to split your cable internet to go to 2 different places (to a computer and to an xbox) without going wireless?

If you just have the modem feeding your computer directly then in order to share the connection you will need a router.

If you get a wireless router with ethernet ports you then give yourself the choice of connecting via an ethernet cable or wirelessly.

As for your laptops wifi card it is hard to troubleshoot by guessing but you could go in to the properties of the card and try selecting that windows controls the device vs. the HP software. That might help depending on what is causing the issue.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:40:58 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;259957
Quote from: weekapaug19;259952

If you just have the modem feeding your computer directly then in order to share the connection you will need a router.

If you get a wireless router with ethernet ports you then give yourself the choice of connecting via an ethernet cable or wirelessly.

As for your laptops wifi card it is hard to troubleshoot by guessing but you could go in to the properties of the card and try selecting that windows controls the device vs. the HP software. That might help depending on what is causing the issue.

ya, I just read about using the router as a splitter a couple minutes ago, I\'m going to have to get another cable and do that for now, I had no idea you could do that. I\'ll need to play around tonight to try and figure out the windows controls vs HP software, but I\'m guessing I\'ll get frusterated and give up and just ignore the wireless all together going forward.

Thanks for the advice.
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:56:25 pm »
on another note, anyone know which wireless aircard is the best? I have a mac if that makes a difference. Any decent one for a good price out there?
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;259961
on another note, anyone know which wireless aircard is the best? I have a mac if that makes a difference. Any decent one for a good price out there?

I am assuming your are asking about 3g/4g type cards for anywhere broadband ?

it really comes down to carriers and who has better coverage where you are going to be most of the time.

mac or pc shouldn\'t matter much these days
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;259967
Quote from: Vassillios;259961

I am assuming your are asking about 3g/4g type cards for anywhere broadband ?

it really comes down to carriers and who has better coverage where you are going to be most of the time.

mac or pc shouldn\'t matter much these days

yeah i figured. they all look pretty much the same. looks like $60 a month deal. kinda expensivo.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside