Author Topic: Identity Theft Rules!!!  (Read 1384 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
Identity Theft Rules!!!
« on: April 16, 2006, 02:31:20 pm »
well, not really identity theft, but... :rolleyes:

i recently got a new checkcard (ATM/VISA) from my bank in the mail. it\'s been sitting on my desk in a pile of things to do, and i haven\'t activated it yet. the letter that came with the card reads:

Visa USA has informed Wachovia that an incident involving unauthorized access into third-party merchant systems has occurred. Based on the information provided by Visa, it has been determined that your Visa Check Card number, name as it appears on the card, expiration date, and magnetic strip data were potentially exposed.

i got a new card, lisa didn\'t (same account, different #\'s)..

well, i guess i shoulda made it a priority to get the new card activated. lisa went to use her card this morning, and it was denied. she called the bank when she got home, and someone in Ontario withdrew a total of $1400 from our account yesterday (2 withdrawals from lisa\'s card, WITH PIN #, 1 from mine WITHOUT :wah:).. supposedly they sent lisa a new card too, but she never got it.

anyways, this could be much worse, but we\'ll have the $ back in our account by tomorrow at midnight. it just really makes you wonder about sliding that card though.. the info could be going anywhere, and you have no idea..

so we\'re trying to figure out where this might have happened.. the bank won\'t tell us, and apparently Visa won\'t tell them, as it\'s still under investigation.. but shit, i think i have a right to know where it was that i used my card and my info got stolen! it had to be somewhere were lisa and i both used our cards - hers as a debit, and mine as a credit (makes sense, cause we usually use our cards like that)... this seems to indicate that it was either at OfficeMax or Wal-Mart/Sam\'s Club - all places where we shop.

scary shit. i\'d love to say \'be careful\', but there\'s absolutely nothing you can do to prevent something like this from happening..

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
Identity Theft Rules!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 02:48:13 pm »
:eek: wow - that\'s horrible!  It\'s messed up that this hijacker got ur pin number, which is supposed to be confidential info between only you & your bank. I\'m wondering how many other people this has happened to - I\'ll definitely be more careful when using my card.
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

davepeck

• Administrator
Identity Theft Rules!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:58:12 pm »
according to the article i linked above, hundreds of thousands of people were issued new cards..

just checked my account online.. here they are:

[table=head]Date|Type|Description|Withdrawals|Deposits|Balance
04/17/2006|ATM|WITHDRAWAL AV. GENERALITAT, 59 04/16 |$367.15 ||Processing †
04/17/2006|ATM|WITHDRAWAL AV. GENERALITAT, 59 04/16 |$367.15 ||Processing †
04/17/2006|ATM|WITHDRAWAL RBC ROYAL BANK 04/15|$702.55 ||Processing †[/table]

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Identity Theft Rules!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 03:03:16 pm »
wow that sucks Dave. My question is, do Canadian banks really let you withdraw amounts like that? Or is it safe to assume that it was a $380 Canadian currency withdrawal and the bank did the exchange. Either way, silly Canucks.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Identity Theft Rules!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 03:07:09 pm »
Dave- check your private messages
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.