Author Topic: Stewart Copeland: "Jazz, any fool can do it"  (Read 766 times)

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Stewart Copeland: "Jazz, any fool can do it"
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:29:16 pm »
Excerpts from jambase interview:

And my main reason why I love dissing jazz is jazz musicians. The problem with jazz musicians is that they are all crap. It\'s sort of like jazz is the refuge of the talent-less. If you really want to be a musician and you are prepared to really work hard at it, but you don\'t have the gift and you don\'t have any soul and you don\'t have any talent, jazz is what you should do; because all you need to do is just spend hours training your fingers to wiggle very quickly and you\'ll be a hero in the jazz world. Not so in blues. In blues you need talent, you need X factor, you need heart, you need to have lived a life, you have to have something to say, you need to be an actual musician to play the blues. Jazz, any fool can do it; all you gotta do is practice.

Some of the others – Miles [Davis], mostly crap. Some of his early records where he had Tony Williams, great, I love those. But mostly it was crap. He was out of tune and he was a fucking junky and it sounded like shit. It was utterly preposterous. The king just wasn\'t wearing any clothes. Coltrane, same thing. [In a condescending voice] "Love supreme, love supreme" it\'s a joke.

Jazz musicians as a rule are stuck up snobs. And the reason is because they don\'t get laid! Rock musicians get laid, jazz musicians don\'t!

Full article. A good read if ya have the time, only a little bit is about the jazz dislike.
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

Whathefunk

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:29 pm »
:wah:

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:46 pm »
Hahaha, thats funny.

But jazz guitar isn\'t just training your fingers to move quick and slick. You also gotta be able to play lots of wrong notes, just as quick :D ... and of course since the audience is at a "jazz show" they won\'t perceive these are wrong notes anyway, so yer off the hook!

I tend to agree with him, though not to the extent that he goes on about it. Jazz guitar tends to seem emotionless and have a thin lame guitar tone often caused by using lipstick pickup\'d hollowbodies on the clean channel with the mid-EQ cranked.

Thats not to say I can play very good jazz-styled guitar. My custom Strat just sounds too damn good for that ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Overexjoesure

• Jai Guru Deva Om
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:31:39 pm »
And Stewart Copeland just proved that he has no musical knowledge whatsoever...

[BANANA]OK FUCKTARD[/BANANA]
Free me from vices, free me from fear.. Free me from anything that keeps me from here.

OMS

• Egg-Head
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:47:25 pm »
i never thought i would hear these kinds of things out of a musician like copelands mouth

to say that all jazz musicians know only theory and have no heart or soul is literally one of the more ludacris things i have ever heard

i could understand how a beginner in the music field may not recognize the talent and soul it takes to become a succesful jazz musician, but come on

clearly part of jazz is learning the theoretical techniques but miles davis and coltrane had no soul? no x factor? if you listen to any of those guys play, any of their solos ever, i cant think of any rock solo that compares in originality..its almost uncomparable

thats not to say that rock is a joke either, look at bands like radiohead who calculate every note, every chord, its completely subjective

i guess im confused as to how he views learning theory and not having soul as synonymous..very confusing

Spunk

• http://www.rezi.org
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:10:24 am »
well thats retarded, Tim Palmeiri spits out a bunch of notes too, so what, thats rock too, .... its wanking and I love it

Thats cause Stuart Copeland was your typical, I\'m in a rock band, and thats all I can do (The Police are sick)   Its the same thing along the lines of Rock and blues guitar players who will say
"he\'s just wanking, there is no soul" All I have to say to them is , you\'re just jelous that you cant do it, because most jazz players, also sit down and play soulful (Sco, Metheny, stern, Haque) They can actually DO IT ALL, that or fake it all, which a Rock musician or Classical musician CANT
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:15:01 am by Spunk »

Rickey Roux

• The Ludes Did It
    • http://www.myspace.com/rickeyroux
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:17 am »
Who fucking died and left Stewart in charge of the music department?  Doesn\'t he know that opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink.  Fuckin\' Limeys (Spinal Tap reference).
You Lucky Bastards!

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:32 am »
:lol: I knew this would happen sooner or later once someone posted it.
Everyone that is upset please do yourself a favor and read the full article. He is a trained Jazz Drummer.
Stewart Is fuckin\' around!
He is known to do this. He loves to stir shit up because he knows people will listen.
Besides it gets people talking about him just when The Police are about to come back.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Spunk

• http://www.rezi.org
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:56 am »
so the more I read this, he compares sting to mozart......... my respect for this man is dwindling

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 12:54:40 am »
Quote from: Spunk;136319
so the more I read this, he compares sting to mozart......... my respect for this man is dwindling

Way to twist it.
He was comparing the two in the manner of how they wrote pieces of music. In complete form. Not all composers do this.
Nothing wrong w/ that comparison that I can see.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.