Author Topic: Things That Really Grind My Gears  (Read 51471 times)

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Things That Really Grind My Gears
« Reply #525 on: May 14, 2010, 09:46:52 am »
Quote from: KEN RAFLOWITZ;257080
Fluff girls were needed before those magic pills were made.
Another job lost to modern technology!

hahaha. Indeed. Besides, why pay a fluffer when you have talent right there to do it for you. Believe it or not, those magic pills are widely carried and hardly ever used. Most dudes don\'t need but have them for psychological reasons.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Reply #526 on: May 14, 2010, 10:03:34 am »
It\'s kinda like me in school.
I always had a cheat sheet ready for a test just in case, but never used it.
You just want to cover all angles to avoid failure!

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #527 on: May 14, 2010, 10:24:43 am »
don\'t you hate pants!?
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

inCognito

• piano slinger
    • http://www.shorelinepiano.net
« Reply #528 on: May 18, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »
ya know what grinds my gears....  i just found out i am getting sued by the guy who ran a red light and broad sided me - twice.  

and

i hired to be an assistant manager for my store a few months ago.  chief among the reasons he was hired was so there would be coverage for me - so i could "get away" and "vacation."  as a result of his schedule this summer, i don\'t get vacation time.  that means no vacation until next winter sometime, after the fall and winter sales rushes.

fucking awesome.  today fucking rules.

/blog

:::starts building a bridge to get the fuck over it:::

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »
Quote from: inCognito;257188
ya know what grinds my gears....  i just found out i am getting sued by the guy who ran a red light and broad sided me - twice.  

and

i hired to be an assistant manager for my store a few months ago.  chief among the reasons he was hired was so there would be coverage for me - so i could "get away" and "vacation."  as a result of his schedule this summer, i don\'t get vacation time.  that means no vacation until next winter sometime, after the fall and winter sales rushes.

fucking awesome.  today fucking rules.

/blog

:::starts building a bridge to get the fuck over it:::

oh man... both of these really suck!! sorry, eric!!

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2010, 04:42:49 pm »
he\'s suing you twice or he broadsided you twice?

inCognito

• piano slinger
« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »
ran a red light, broad sided me hit me in driver side front and spun around and hit me a second time.

suiting me once

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »
54 teacher layoffs, AND my school being shut down due to the WH Board of Education\'s MISmanagement of money.
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

KEN RAFLOWITZ

• Weird Ken Yankodic
« Reply #533 on: May 19, 2010, 08:24:15 am »
You could spend some time teaching Todd how to reed,rite and rithmatic.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:34 am »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;257196
54 teacher layoffs, AND my school being shut down due to the WH Board of Education\'s MISmanagement of money.

AH! what happens to you?? BOEs don\'t know how to manage shit. it\'s a disaster.

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #535 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:20 am »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;257196

Can anyone explain to me why so many municipalities around here are facing budget problems?  I know the economy is struggling, but cities/towns get money from property tax, not income tax.  Are forclosures on subprimes hitting this hard, or is it something else?

I\'m sorry to hear this Robin, both for you and the children.  The basic foundation of elementary education is so important.  For thread relevance it grinds my gears that so many adults can\'t do basic math.  (apparently some of them work as school superindendants)

It\'s been it a good two decades since I set foot in an elementary school, but it seems like some of these school buildings are a bit much. Elaborate landscaping, high end architechture, etc. even in perpetually broke New Haven.  What\'s this worth if inside there\'s 30+ in a classroom?
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

inCognito

• piano slinger
« Reply #536 on: May 19, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;257223

Can anyone explain to me why so many municipalities around here are facing budget problems?  I know the economy is struggling, but cities/towns get money from property tax, not income tax.  Are forclosures on subprimes hitting this hard, or is it something else?

it is a combination:  
- property tax is based on home value.  values have dropped precipitously = lower tax base.  due to foreclosures, few housing starts / new developments, excess inventory, etc.

- the towns and municipalities get substantial funds from state governments which ARE funded by income tax and sales tax.  if people aren\'t earning, that revenue goes down.  if people aren\'t spending, the revenue goes down as well.  ct has been especially hurt by substantially decreased revenues from fairfield county.

- this whole state & local gov\'t fiscal crisis actually started with the first round of bush tax cuts.  most state taxation algorithms are based on the federal formulas.  when all of those taxes were cut, there was not enough time to evaluate on the part of states how to amend those algorithms and pass through the legislatures tax hikes to make up for the lost revenues.

- this has been further exacerbated by state & local politics - ie not raising taxes to keep former levels to remain competitive as compared to states with lower costs of doing business.  

- ct has a higher cost of doing business and higher individual cost of living and as such has lost some of its business base in that way too.

- through expanded state spending on programs and construction during the "boom years"  it has been nearly politically impossible to cut back to lower levels.  people love their gov\'t programs but hate to pay for them.  

- increased payments on gov\'t debt

these are all factors in most states.  ct has not fared as badly as most states in the country and for that we are inordinately lucky (knock on wood) but incompetent management at any level can cause a crash as we are now witnessing in west haven.  

incompetence in gov\'t grinds my gears - especially the GWB budget directors and the congresses that rubber stamped his failed policies.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #537 on: November 03, 2010, 03:34:43 pm »
The fact that almost every political ad targets their opponent and brings up irrelevant information about their past in hopes to make them look bad instead of promoting their favored candidate with positive aspects of their political career. I\'m not one to really pay attention to politics but when two opposing people just make each other look like assholes, no one really wins. That, and the fact rent is too damn high.
Smell my mule.

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #538 on: November 03, 2010, 04:50:14 pm »
Prop 19 failing. Nuff said
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #539 on: November 03, 2010, 09:07:13 pm »
well that was probably a good thing.  the initiative was grossly bloated with useless crap and poorly written, it would most likely have hurt the cause in the long run.  This is not as bad as it sounds, this type of change takes time.  big issues don\'t just happen.  the fact that it still garnered over 40% of the vote is HUGE.  next time will be closer, and after that with a well written bill it just may pass.  How long did it take the African American population to feel like real citizens after Lincoln freed the slaves?  Woman\'s suffrage?  Social change is hard.