Author Topic: Three shows I\'ll be skipping only because of the price  (Read 3726 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Three shows I\'ll be skipping only because of the price
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 01:35:57 pm »
Quote from: boombox;228023
Well, if Phish or the Dead ever do make it to these shores, I hope they are not charging those prices. GREEDY is not the word I\'d use.

I saw Stackridge (anyone heard of them?) this week for $15 and got the chance to chat to them afterwards over a drink. And they are an eight piece band. Next month I will see the Strawbs in the same venue for the same price. In August, I intend to go to a festival here:

http://www.new-dawn-events.co.uk/woodstock/

for $175 for the weekend including camping. You guys paying the silly figures I am reading here for Phish and the Dead must be earning $$$$s!!

$175 for Jethro Tull, Nazareth, half a dozen tribute bands and 2 dozen bands doesn\'t seem worth the money to me...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 01:43:47 pm »
i\'ll see the breakfast (ever heard of them?) tonight for $10 in nyc and may or may not have the chance to have a drink with them afterwards. and phish for $50 anywhere is a great deal in my opinion
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 01:49:44 pm »
I\'ll be seeing Springsteen next month for $98 and a ticket in section 101...
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 11:32:25 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;228027
Quote from: zuke583;227597
Quote from: Jim Cobb;227384
they stick the diehard fans in the fucking nosebleed section so they can put the corporate elite in the front rows.  and now, at an ever increasing rate, the diehard fan is turning into a casual fan...they should be able to score great tickets and not have to pay out the nose for them...in any other industry, you\'d be out on your ass for treating your clientbase so disrespectfully.  you\'d never make it.  

It WILL change because people will stop paying.

sounds like every major sport franchise from the last 10 years. they seem to be doing pretty well (considering the economy). i\'m not too optimistic.

It\'s amazing to me watching games @ the new Yankee stadium, all the field level seats are empty.  There are some people in the bleachers but man jacking those ticket prices does not appear to be working for them.   $1.5 BILLION stadium.

apologies for the minor thread jack......
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2009, 09:47:01 am »
No thread jack at all my man, sports ticket prices are certainly part of the conversation.  I\'ve been over this before, but I don\'t think Red Sox games are a good value either.  Anything in front of the overhang is out of my price range outright.  The upper grandstands sections 10-30 are good seats too, but at $50 I don\'t think they\'re worth it for an average game.  (Not to mention that they\'re all but impossible to get at face value anyhow.)  That\'s just me though, most people think they\'re fine.  In fact, a lot of people I know are happy to pay over face to go to the game they want.  Me, instead of 2 or 3 regular season games, I\'ll save the $200 I would have spent on those and use it for a game 7.  But that\'s just me.        

And Yankee Stadium...my god...it\'s the stadium\'s first year.  The first year of a new stadium is always a sellout in any city because it\'s equal parts ballgame and tourist attraction.  Cleveland of all places pulled off a 5.5 year sellout streak when they opened Jacobs Field.  So how does New York play to a half-empty ballpark every night?  It just looks awful.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2009, 11:08:49 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;228095
And Yankee Stadium...my god...it\'s the stadium\'s first year.  The first year of a new stadium is always a sellout in any city because it\'s equal parts ballgame and tourist attraction.  Cleveland of all places pulled off a 5.5 year sellout streak when they opened Jacobs Field.  So how does New York play to a half-empty ballpark every night?  It just looks awful.

$2,000+ Legend\'s Field Tickets
$900 behind home plate
$350 between the bases (These tixs were $18 when I was a kid)

I\'m a Yankee fan and outside of getting tickets from a vendor or relative, I can only afford bleacher seats...

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;228098

$900 behind home plate

I\'m a Yankee fan and outside of getting tickets from a vendor or relative, I can only afford bleacher seats...

Glad to see those empty seats- what a frickin\' ripoff.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »

$900 behind home plate

Can u imagine paying that kind of $$$ for a reg season game. HOLY CRAP!!!

I mean there are 96 home games. The people sitting htere should have their heads examined. I don\'t care how much $$$ you have NO reg. season baseball game is worth a semester of community college.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 07:42:28 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;228307

$900 behind home plate

I mean there are 96 home games. The people sitting htere should have their heads examined. I don\'t care how much $$$ you have NO reg. season baseball game is worth a semester of community college.

Uh last time I counted the season was 162 games with half (81) being at home.
Still your point is pretty solid.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 10:44:20 am »
Quote from: leith;228356

$900 behind home plate

I thought it was 182 oh well as you can see i am only a passing baseball fan. I like going to the games it is a nice day out hopefully in the sun. But it moves to slow for me. that and I sucked at it as a kid.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 10:49:43 am »
Quote from: kindm\'s;228452

$900 behind home plate

I thought it was 182 oh well as you can see i am only a passing baseball fan. I like going to the games it is a nice day out hopefully in the sun. But it moves to slow for me. that and I sucked at it as a kid.

i also see you\'re a passing fan of 2nd grade math
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 11:02:19 am »
Quote from: zuke583;228453
Quote from: kindm\'s;228452

$900 behind home plate

i also see you\'re a passing fan of 2nd grade math

Wow you got me.

I must have been stunned by the ticket price.