Author Topic: Iron Horse Music Hall; Northampton, MA  (Read 4185 times)

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
Iron Horse Music Hall; Northampton, MA
« on: February 28, 2011, 05:47:05 pm »
Iron Horse Music Hall
20 Center St
Northampton, MA 01060
United States
(413) 584-3177
DIRECTIONS

All Ages
$8 advance / $10 at the door
Doors: 9:00pm

Higher Organix Opens!
Where to next?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:04 pm »
okay this is awesome and all...

but is The Breakfast ever coming back to town?

also after selling out the Hoarse last time its kind of silly they\'re not playing Pearl Street now. whatsthedeal
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

phish4breakfast

• Spreading Chrimbus Cheer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »
I agree everytime I\'ve been here I\'ve said to myself, this is sick I dig this place a lot I NEED to see a breakfast show here... that being said Im a dumbass for missing the freakout in October

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
    • http://www.phantasytour.com/moe/boards.cgi
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:58 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;266189

also after selling out the Hoarse last time its kind of silly they\'re not playing Pearl Street now. whatsthedeal

they\'ve sold out the horse plenty throughout the years, its just a matter of IHEG being bitches as per usual.

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:17:25 pm »
bump for tonight... have fun!
Where to next?

krispy

• I\'m a negative creep
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:32 pm »
Quote from: Igziabeher;269190
Quote from: bdfreetuna;266189

they\'ve sold out the horse plenty throughout the years, its just a matter of IHEG being bitches as per usual.

I STRONGLY believe that any small band should sell out the IH a few times in a row before moving into Pearl St.  It was not a situation of hundreds turned away at the door or anything last time.  A couple of sell outs tells the area "hey, we\'re serious, next time get here earlier.".  Garnering a sense of mystery along the lines of what is so cool that I am missing is never a bad thing.

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:55:55 pm »
I hate Pearl Street even more than Iron Horse now anyway.... after the last few times I\'ve been there.

But , yeah, when your friends get shut out of a show and you\'re inside enjoying it, that is sort of a bad thing. Doesn\'t happen in most areas but it\'s sometimes a problem in Northampton.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:34 am »
How was the gig last night? sold out? any standouts?
Where to next?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 11:27:18 am »
Not sold out, maybe 2/3 capacity. I think a lot of Higher Organix fans.

Can\'t say there were any standouts.. it seemed like a similar show to the one I saw a week ago at the Middle East. I guess I\'ve been expecting something different from Kung Fu lately but it seems like mostly the same show to me.

I\'d personally like to see Kung Fu jam some shit out, let Tim crank up the guitar and shred a lot more, and deliver a more unpredictable performance. I don\'t really care what songs they play but these are a bunch of amazing musicians on stage, I\'d like to see them taking things into type II or III jam territory. But maybe that\'s not what Kung Fu is about, I guess?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:38:35 am by bdfreetuna »

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
i guess not.  and they only got so many songs, they\'re only a year old.  give them time in between shows or you\'re gonna wear yourself out.

phish4breakfast

• Spreading Chrimbus Cheer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:07 pm »
Quote from: bdfreetuna;269289
Not sold out, maybe 2/3 capacity. I think a lot of Higher Organix fans.

Can\'t say there were any standouts.. it seemed like a similar show to the one I saw a week ago at the Middle East. I guess I\'ve been expecting something different from Kung Fu lately but it seems like mostly the same show to me.

I\'d personally like to see Kung Fu jam some shit out, let Tim crank up the guitar and shred a lot more, and deliver a more unpredictable performance. I don\'t really care what songs they play but these are a bunch of amazing musicians on stage, I\'d like to see them taking things into type II or III jam territory. But maybe that\'s not what Kung Fu is about, I guess?

I\'ve seen them twice and thought I saw the same show... then I looked at the setlists and found out it was extremely close to the same exact show lol they are all extremely talented and the jams of the songs they repeatedly play do vary from one to the other a little bit, but its dangerously becoming something along the lines of a DMB concert, you\'ve seen one you\'ve seen them all

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 12:25:36 pm »
Yeah dude. Thing is they\'re playing shows like every week within an hours drive from me. So it\'s easy to hit. But I think I\'ve worn myself out on Kung Fu for now. Taking a break.

I\'ll see how it develops. And hope for more Breakfast shows.

Igziabeher

• ser gravel eater
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 02:15:16 pm »
lol @ comparing kung fu to a dmb concert.  you\'re showin\' your noobiness, phishn.  look at phish setlists from 85 to 87, i\'m sure there are lots or repeats, you gotta give \'em time to build a catalog.  dmb has been around for 20 years.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »
Kung Fu and Breakfast are two different bands, despite sharing members.  I will say this: even early PB setlists had much more variety than Kung Fu has at the same point in their respective timelines; PB just relied heavily on covers to keep it interesting.  The lack (or perceived lack) of variety will definitely be a reason fewer people would feel the need to travel and tour with Kung Fu.  Just see 1 night and you get the point; whereas Breakfast is gonna play a different show each night.  I have had a similar feeling when watching the webcasts: they rock-jazz-jam the heck out for their style of music but it is hard for me to be engaged for an entire show when so much of the material is the same.  

With that said, I look forward to their future development and hope for building success since this is the project on the front burner.
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

mvallo

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 04:57:54 pm »
According to my set set list database, Kung Fu has played about 67 covers and originals to date(1 year/ 7months).  Also, a bunch of tunes have not been played since Jensen left the band.

I would be interested in how may different songs PB played in the same time period. The PB set list database is MIA. any one have a link?

thanks,