Author Topic: Hockey?  (Read 7514 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Hockey?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 12:03:23 pm »
Again - what makes cycling more of a sport than hockey, football, baseball, basketball, golf, archery or every other sport out there.

They may perform more hours in a consolidated time period, but if you take other sports and add up the total time involved, it\'s all relative.

It all comes down to personal choice, cycling is better than hockey for you, the Yankees are better than that team in boston for me.  Let\'s just keep our fingers crossed that the tour de france isn\'t plagued by a winner that used enhancement drugs this year.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Hockey?
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:16 pm »
Quote from: Yoda;146657
Again - what makes cycling more of a sport than hockey, football, baseball, basketball, golf, archery or every other sport out there.

They may perform more hours in a consolidated time period, but if you take other sports and add up the total time involved, it\'s all relative.

It all comes down to personal choice, cycling is better than hockey for you, the Yankees are better than that team in boston for me.  Let\'s just keep our fingers crossed that the tour de france isn\'t plagued by a winner that used enhancement drugs this year.

And cycling is boring compared to Hockey.

I would say Marathon running takes more endurance than cycling but whatever. I don\'t watch cycling or marathons.

At least they race though. They don\'t take points away for style etc like some crap people try to pass off as a "sport"
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Hockey?
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 01:07:30 pm »
Quote from: kindm\'s;146665

I would say Marathon running takes more endurance than cycling but whatever. I don\'t watch cycling or marathons.

A valid argument, but the difference is, cycling is like doing a marathon every day for 30 days straight, some days the road is level, other days a mountain, but you still keep going. Then a winner is declaired based on overall times throught earned as points. That\'s what the yellow jersey is; the person who has the most points over all so that you can tell who is winning day after day. A little more endurance is needed than for just one day of running 25 miles. Definetly not something most people will sit and watch, but I channel surf during baseball and hockey games also. Like all sports though, if you do it, you enjoy watching it more.

The funny thing is, I really don\'t mind hockey. I just wanted to see if people would start talking about sports here again if I ripped on it. Guess it worked.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Hockey?
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 01:26:13 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;146670
A valid argument, but the difference is, cycling is like doing a marathon every day for 30 days straight, some days the road is level, other days a mountain, but you still keep going. Then a winner is declaired based on overall times throught earned as points. That\'s what the yellow jersey is; the person who has the most points over all so that you can tell who is winning day after day. A little more endurance is needed than for just one day of running 25 miles. Definetly not something most people will sit and watch, but I channel surf during baseball and hockey games also. Like all sports though, if you do it, you enjoy watching it more.

The funny thing is, I really don\'t mind hockey. I just wanted to see if people would start talking about sports here again if I ripped on it. Guess it worked.

Well I Guess Anaheim won game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals but I did not see the game. So the season is wrapping up.

I know all about the Tour De France. I actually think it is a cool race just that watching it lacks a lot to be desired. The locales are awesome tho.

Have you ever seen "Breaking Away" (the movie) ?
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Hockey?
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 02:23:15 pm »
yea, he actually did hit 55 mph on the highway by using an extra low gear on the bike and by drafting the semi in the scene where the truck gets pulled over. Wish I had won a bike like that right out of highschool.

good movie. :thumbsup:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

SkyePrizm

• separator
Hockey?
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;146639
yea, hockey still blows as dave put it, but hockey is shown on vs, and in another month and a half, the tour de france will be shown on the same channel, so hockey, you\'re alright in my book simply by association with a real sport like cycling.

oh, and bring back the whale. :biggrin:

i\'ll ignore the fact that you said hockey blows because you followed it with bring back the whale.

kindm's

• Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
Hockey?
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 11:02:55 am »
Don\'t forget Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals is on tonight.

Anaheim Leads the Series 1 Game to 0

Anaheim Ducks v. Ottawa Senators if you really don\'t follow Hockey

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Hockey?
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2007, 11:48:01 am »
game 1 was great! i look forward to watching tonights game, as well as the rest of the series. hopefully it goes the full 7 games.
Smell my mule.

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
Hockey?
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2007, 05:54:36 pm »
:banzzz: I can\'t watch hockey on TV
As for live, though, it rocks!  I\'ve seen was the SoundTigers @ Harbor Yard a few times... best sport ever, imo.  Lots of action, beer, food & fun - you really can\'t go wrong.
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

SkyePrizm

• separator
Hockey?
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2007, 10:27:57 pm »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;146921
:banzzz: I can\'t watch hockey on TV
As for live, though, it rocks!  I\'ve seen was the SoundTigers @ Harbor Yard a few times... best sport ever, imo.  Lots of action, beer, food & fun - you really can\'t go wrong.

i do have to agree......live hockey is waaaaay better than watching it on tv.  Nothing like a rangers game in MSG.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Hockey?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 12:29:03 am »
Another great game! Ducks up 2-0 going to Ottawa.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Hockey?
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 08:41:22 am »
I\'ll agree with you that the Garden is a nice place to watch hockey, but Rangers fans are horrible; half of them are smashed mid-way through the first period and the other half boo their team the entire game because they don\'t score a goal every 5 minutes.  In general, hockey tickets are really expensive, why would you want to waste that money by getting hammered; if that\'s the way they want to watch the game, then buy a case of beer and watch it on the tube - saves a lot of money that way!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Hockey?
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2007, 10:25:45 am »
another good game last night. i couldnt believe the amount of contested passes. as soon as a player would touch the puck, upon his release he would be boarded every time. the first 7-8 minutes were constant checks all over the ice, even away from the puck. the lone goal of the game was a gem. right through the defenders legs and just past the goalies right side. ottawa didnt generate a lot of offense so it was only time before their goalie let one up. i feel they will manage better at home, especially in canada where they have been dying for a stanley cup for +10 years or so.
Smell my mule.

davepeck

• Administrator
Hockey?
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2007, 11:10:16 am »
wait... the strike is over?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Hockey?
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 10:34:07 pm »
So with 2 minutes left the excitement is just too much. The Ducks are bringing the Stanley Cup to the West Coast! It\'s about freakin\' time.

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woot! Woot! This is so cool.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.