Author Topic: They keep cooking up surprises!  (Read 866 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
They keep cooking up surprises!
« on: August 14, 2004, 02:40:02 pm »
The Dead played Nothing Else Matters last night. Yes THAT Nothing Else Matters. From the reports I have read and heard, THEY NAILED IT!! This is yet another surprise among many this tour including no less than 3 new Dead songs into the canon. Warren has done exactly what they hired him to do and what like it or not Jimmy seems unable to do. That is lead this band ! Both Bob and Phil are great @ leading bands but not at leading The Dead. It was always Jerry\'s job whether he liked it or not and regardless of what the other members contributed it would always be so. Now after realizing they LOVE to play together and attempting to be a real band again starting last year, they have run into the problem of not having someone strong enough of a Lead player to lead the beast that rises when the Core 4 get together. Don\'t get me wrong if it was just Jimmy I think they would still rock. He has gotten very used to playing with these guys. Jimmy is a great lead player but Warren is just so versatile. His fluidity, ability and musical knowledge are rooted in a style the Core 4 is more comfortable with. Warren is also strong enough of a player to push Bob and Phil into places they may not want to go  as Jerry would do and then when they got there look @ Jerry and grin like "ohhh here". That\'s The Dead I love.The many different covers they have explored this tour have been hit and miss but they are keeping things fresh and interesting not just for us but for themselves. For me Nothing Else Matters.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.