Author Topic: Let\'s talk about The Rolling Stones!!!  (Read 2531 times)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Let\'s talk about The Rolling Stones!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »
Yeah - I know, he\'s a god.  I never got into him, but my brother and his wife swear by him, so I downloaded the Coachella show and I was enjoying it until I heard him ruin the Creep cover and I switched to something else on my iPod.  Not sure if I want to spend another 2 hours listening to another show of his.
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 05:09:01 pm »
Quote from: Kaliguitar;198452
Th Beatles vs The Stones....Zep vs The Who....Can we change the subject and talk about something a little less controversial?  

:awaits the Lowdown vs. Appettite For Destruction thread:  :rolleyes2
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Kaliguitar

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:05 pm »
Quote from: wildcoyote;198482
Th Beatles vs The Stones....Zep vs The Who....Can we change the subject and talk about something a little less controversial?  

all I know is the guitar player is both bands suck.:)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 10:48:25 pm »
Quote from: SlimPickens;198415
First let me say:
A.  To each his/her own.
B.  You people are balls out freaking insane crazy.

I\'m not even a "huge" stones fan.  But I know enough of their music to know you have to be deaf or ignorant not to understand and appreciate what a powerful and beautiful force the Stones have been on music for the last 50 freakin\' years.

The period from \'68 - \'72 produced 4 of rock\'s all time top masterpieces: Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St.

Oh, and Yoda what you really should do, before taking one more step in this world is the following:
1.  Send your wife and child away for a fun weekend with Grandma & Grandpa.
2.  Buy Exile on Main St., a bottle of fine booze, and a sack of fungus.  
3.  Throw that album on repeat
4.  Eat the whole bag of fungus
5.  Take large slugs of the fine booze as needed to help control the psychotic-mania

Then you sit back and allow Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts to take you on a journey that may be the only thing to save you and the rest us from this constant flood of MORONIC shit that flows from your head, to your keyboard, and across the airwaves to this site.

Great post Slim.  

There\'s a long-running and unfortunate error that people make when discussing music: When someone does not enjoy a band\'s music, instead of saying, "I do not enjoy the music of {Band}" they instead say, "{Band} sucks".  It\'s just plain unintelligent.  Stating that a band of such documented accomplishment and universal acclaim as The Rolling Stones "sucks at playing music" is a statment that can only serve to bring down the stater\'s own credibility.  The Rolling Stones cannot possibly suck at music any more than milk sucks as a beverage or soccer sucks as a sport or Nintendo sucks as a video game system.  You may not like milk or soccer or Nintendo, but if that\'s the case then just say that, don\'t say that they suck, it doesn\'t make any sense.  

So many times people say that a band they happen not to like "sucks".  moe. sucks, Akon sucks, Girl Talk sucks, The Breakfast sucks, Paul Oakenfold sucks, now even The Rolling Stones suck.  Um, no.  You just don\'t like them.  Here\'s a short list of musical acts that actually suck:

Smackin\' Vibes (my high school band)
The person singing karaoke at your local bar
William Hung

Now here\'s the freaky part: I enjoy all 3 of those acts, even though any sensible person would agree that they all suck.  So if a band sucks but I like them anyways, would I say, "I do not enjoy that band."  No, it would not make any sense for me to say that.  Conversely, if a band is great but I don\'t like them anyways, does it make sense for me to say, "That band sucks"  No, that makes no sense either and if I said it I would only be putting my own intellectual suckage on display.

Quote from: wildcoyote;198482

I\'m going to go start The Definitive Band Rivalry Throwdown Thread
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:04:33 pm by Wolfman »

Lexington

• suckin seaweed
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 03:10:02 am »
Quote from: SlimPickens;198415
Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St.

VS

Quote from: Yoda;198418
Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Abbey Road

so after condensing this thread, i see that it is indeed a very tough decision.
i can;t identify with thinking this is an easy choice.

the beatles are one the best bands ev, no doubt. those abums right there are phenomenal

the stones just gots that bluesy shit going on. if you\'ve ever got into delta blues, the stones just does it grimey and with ser balls. all their old-school-blues covers are badass.
if you\'re not into delta blues, well shit.  you\'re weird
caress me, aunt jemima

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 06:21:21 am »
I never said they suck.  I just said that The Beatles are on a whole other level.  Look back at my original statement - Listening to the rolling stones makes you see how good the beatles really are.  No suckage comments there.

That being said wolf, if your "no band sucks" theory hold up, then there\'s a lot of people that owe springsteen an apology on this board.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:26:05 am by Yoda »
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Kaliguitar

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 08:57:09 am »
Quote from: Yoda;198542
I never said they suck.  I just said that The Beatles are on a whole other level.  Look back at my original statement - Listening to the rolling stones makes you see how good the beatles really are.  No suckage comments there.

That being said wolf, if your "no band sucks" theory hold up, then there\'s a lot of people that owe springsteen an apology on this board.

You\'re right...if you go back, it was FRANKZAPPA who "fixed" Yoda\'s original post to say "the stones sucked ass"

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:24 am »
At least one person on the board isn\'t running around thinking I\'m a prick, I think...