Author Topic: Setlist: 2009-10-30 - Higher Ground; South Burlington, VT  (Read 4526 times)

galenas

• Global Moderator
Setlist: 2009-10-30 - Higher Ground; South Burlington, VT
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:25:28 pm »
I: Space City Affair > The Chase, Synergy > Wake Up in a Coma > Synergy, Existential Funk, Phaddy Boom Baddy, Hard Luck Harry > Living Daylights, The Grand Scheme of Things, Cult of Personality

E: Jam > Buquebus

Thanks to FieryBill for the setlist!

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 11:56:52 pm »
How about this one? Anyone?
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:51:47 am »
i may be wrong, but isn\'t track one "Intro" instead of "Space City Affair"?  Track two starts the show with a dank "The Chase".
The second part of synergy is where the show really starts cookin\'.  ExFunk has some really nice sonic bends, like an oscilloscope in slow-motion [i think i\'m referring to the chord changes?].  Awesome vox & lyrics, great melody, impressive structure; I think this song has great potential.  Phaddy was super dope, indubitably, though I was dreamin that I had some green ***** instead of brown beer to toast the song!   The 22 minute HLH traveled to some very interesting places, culminating in some kind of musical tornado!  Then they drop into a heavy LDs, fitting perfectly with the crowd\'s energy.  Grand Scheme of Things rocks, I think the band has been smoking Frank Zappa\'s ashes, like "Ivory"  in How High.  This GSOT was 26 minutes of bliss that flashed by.  Cult of Personality continued the funkin wild rock of the night; these guys have such skill that they just annihilate cover songs.  Encore p-funk jam was bonkers, a tasty teaser for the following night.  Buquebus is like Dark Star of the Dead, a vehicle for ser jamming.  Awesome Thriller tease during buquebus (more than a tease,) > Jordan cranks it up and we launch into space > Thiller > McHammer\'s "Can\'t Touch This" > Rick James\' "Superfreak" > ican\'tfigureitout?? > Beatles\' "The End" > u guys are nuts.

I wish I started seeing this band 10 years earlier...  11 down and many great years ahead!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:40:55 pm by cannontrip »
♥♫∞

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:03:03 am »
I agree it doesn\'t strike me as a SCA... more of a jam > Chase since the "SCA" is basically a jam in the theme and vibe of a Chase intro.

Perhaps even more accurate to just call it all "The Chase", just this one happens to have a bit of an intro built it? Whatever though, not a big point, just I associate SCA\'s with more free form ambiance.

Also... Existential Funk.... this song has some really badass strong points... for example the opening riff and the part where Tim goes all Gladys Pimp-style on the superfast rhythm. And also some parts that are a bit less interesting. It sounds to me like the band played this song with greater confidence and awareness of the awesome parts the 2nd time around at Higher Ground. I noticed more going back to the theme of the sick opening riff in the jam. And I think that sick opening riff , along with the superfast rhythm section, are basically what define this song. Play to it\'s strengths and this is a real winner! Oh yeah and I enjoy the verses too. I do think that the bridge sections seem a little out of place and alters the flow of the song at a time when the flow is otherwise highly enjoyable.

I was going to write a little suggestion-y thing after Iron Horse because I actually really liked the song but thought it could use a wee bit of work to become on of the greats... but it seems like the band is fully aware of what makes this song kick ass and what are the somewhat more cumbersome feeling parts... and made a bit of those changes already the second time around.

Tim ::: Take that superfast Gladys style section and riff it out like you do on a real fire high energy Gladys, why not? I can imagine some crazy chord variations at that speed that like only you can pull off, man.

And milk that opening riff for all it\'s worth that\'s solid gold right there :)

Chris, sick song dude. Any explanation of the lyrics / inspiration for this one?

I went to make an "Existential Funk" thread but I don\'t have permissions. If any of the mods wants to make a thread for it in Tunage and move my comments over there?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:59:47 pm by bdfreetuna »
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 02:06:43 pm »
thriller teases in \'queeb
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »
space city affair is tricky. Pretty much any jam can be listed as it. you\'d have to ask tim for a specific definition. It transcends key, time signature, tempo, and orchestration (what instruments are playing).
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »
listening back on this one since i got too wasted to remeber very much of this show. i\'m at the second half of synergy and shits heating up.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:22:46 pm »
Quote from: FrankZappa;245301
space city affair is tricky. Pretty much any jam can be listed as it. you\'d have to ask tim for a specific definition. It transcends key, time signature, tempo, and orchestration (what instruments are playing).

cool, I was trying to figure out exactly what Space City Affair is.  In this case, track one could certainly fit the bill.
♥♫∞

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »
Happy anniversary!!!!!!! :))
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:13:49 pm »
so happy LD is back, but i like the orig version better.

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 10:48:21 pm »
Quote from: galenas;245331

is the only difference the way tim sings it? the music sounds the same but i feel tim sings it different. not much of a difference though.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 04:39:16 pm »
This Queeb Owns Faces. :wah: :wah: :wah:
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

mvallo

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 07:42:26 pm »
I\'m going to update the note section in LMA:
buquebus*

*Teases: Thriller > McHammer\'s "Can\'t Touch This" > Rick James\' "Superfreak" > ?? > Beatles\' "The End"

what is ??, I did not reconize it.

are there any other additions?  thanks

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 07:59:57 pm »
Quote from: mvallo;245395
buquebus*

*Teases: Thriller > McHammer\'s "Can\'t Touch This" > Rick James\' "Superfreak" > ?? > Beatles\' "The End"

are there any other additions?  thanks

McHammer is my favorite irish rapper
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 09:47:26 pm »
Quote from: galenas;245331

I\'ve never heard the original, but I like this version a lot.  Interesting lyrics, I wonder when this was written?

Quote from: mvallo
buquebus*

are there any other additions? thanks

I\'m not sure if the ?? is actually another tease...the vocals transition from "She\'s a superfreak, Girl is a superfreak" to something like "She is a girl of the world, Girl is a covergirl" hence the ?? on my part.

Also, the jam preceeding buquebus had a ton of great teases, too many for me to list/find right now.  Though I can\'t forget the "Fantastic Voyage" tease that ramped up to the queeb intro.
Thanks for taping Matt!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:57:33 pm by cannontrip »
♥♫∞