Author Topic: The 2008 Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 39539 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
The 2008 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #570 on: October 19, 2008, 12:43:08 pm »
Yeah, it was hilarious that as we were semi-seriously considering whether we would be better off having the pitchers hit and the DH bat for Varitek, he hits the GWHR.

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #571 on: October 19, 2008, 08:35:05 pm »
I\'m almost too nervous to watch. I\'m wondering why that is. Why is this game getting to me?
Masturbation in the MFA

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #572 on: October 19, 2008, 08:43:47 pm »
im lovin it.  hang in there !
*Gia*

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #573 on: October 19, 2008, 11:01:18 pm »
Damn. Pedroia doesn\'t miss fastballs like that one very often.
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #574 on: October 19, 2008, 11:28:29 pm »
Quote from: bezerker;208486
im lovin it.  hang in there !
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #575 on: October 19, 2008, 11:38:56 pm »
Fuck  !

i hate you spacey
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:38:56 pm by bezerker »
*Gia*

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #576 on: October 19, 2008, 11:39:52 pm »
fuck.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #577 on: October 19, 2008, 11:44:58 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;208495
Damn. Pedroia doesn\'t miss fastballs like that one very often.

Pedroia definitely did his part for the Sox, but not hitting pitches like that is precisely how to lose a series.

The Rays were the better team, and they definitely deserved to win this series. I\'m not saying it doesn\'t sting, but at least the Red Sox made it respectable.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California

TeddyT

« Reply #578 on: October 19, 2008, 11:49:06 pm »
Big Papi sucked all season. He sucked all of the postseason (except for the 3-run homer in game 5). Man did he suck big time in this game 7.  Hopefully that wrist is 100% next season and hopefully he won\'t suck as much.

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #579 on: October 19, 2008, 11:56:29 pm »
wrist and knee. there are things wrong with the papster. big reason why the sox got probably less than 20 runs the whole series.  rough night
*Gia*

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #580 on: October 20, 2008, 12:20:02 am »
That 8th inning really hurt.  Cora and Crisp did the unthinkable and BOTH got on base to start the inning, down 2, in front of Pedroia>Ortiz>Youkilis>Drew and NONE of those 4 guys got a hit.  Ugh!

At least we made them earn it and made it entertaining.  Letting them walk over us in games 3-5 at Fenway would have been unforgivable.  Losing sucks but at least they generated some entertainment value in games 5-7.  Nothing cheap happened the whole series either.   The games played out properly, there were no bad calls or stupid bounces, and thus the better team won.  You can\'t play with fire every time the way the Sox have done.  Sooner or later you\'re going to lose one of these series trailing 3-1 or 3-0.  

The Rays and Sox will be going at it for quite a while here.  (Unlss the Rays go with a Marlins-style firesale of the whole team, which I don\'t forsee.)  They both have so much young homegrown talent carrying their teams.  The only team in baseball with more homegrown talent contribution than the Sox is the Rays.  I\'m looking forward to continuing the current run with Youkilis, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ortiz, Varitek, Ellsbury, Lester, Delcarmen, Masterson, Buchholz, and Papelbon for a long time.  I can\'t believe that it\'s this part of the season and the Yankees really are so forgotten at this point.  They\'re so far behind in terms of bringing up talent and their big-free-agent model is so outdated that I don\'t think we\'re going to hear from them for at least 5 years while the Sox and Rays carry the AL East.  Weird.      

I am curious to see some TV ratings from Tampa Bay for tonight.  I bet that the Buccaneers\' Sunday night football game was a bigger draw than the Rays playing game 7 of the ALCS.  I know the concept is crazy to any Boston/NY fan, but the Rays are to Tampa what Major League Soccer is to Boston or New York.

At least I can catch up on some sleep this week.  Congratulations to all you Rays fans!  (Crickets.)  Well, everyone have a great time watching the Phillies-Rays World Series! (Crickets.)  Enjoy the rest of this thread! (Crickets.)  New England is Cassel Country now! (Muffled groans.)  Time to end this post! (Hearty applause.)

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #581 on: October 20, 2008, 12:27:27 am »
you\'re fuckin nuts wolf.  how long did it take to type that post ?   minute forty five and one half seconds?  will def. be a fun next few years.  hopefully schilling can do something besides snag a paycheck next season

actually he isnt even signed for next year is he
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:27:27 am by bezerker »
*Gia*

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
« Reply #582 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:40 am »
The Yanks may have fizzled out this year, but I wouldn\'t count them out for the next 5 years.  The line-up could seriously change before the start of next season.  

Go Rays!
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
« Reply #583 on: October 20, 2008, 10:56:35 am »
Quote from: Wolfman;208510
I\'m looking forward to continuing the current run with Youkilis, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ortiz, Varitek, Ellsbury, Lester, Delcarmen, Masterson, Buchholz, and Papelbon for a long time.

you think he\'ll be back? he really needs to re-learn how to hit in order for the sox to want him.
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

Drew_Kingsley

• Your busted
    • http://www.goleopards.com
« Reply #584 on: October 20, 2008, 10:57:41 am »
While trying to sleep, with images of David Price blowing the Red Sox away 10 times a year for the next five years dancing in my head, I came to the following conclusion: I’m pretty much done with being a Red Sox fan. It has way too much of a negative connotation. Bill Simmons, Curt Schilling (who has pretty much been just an obnoxious fan with a bigger paycheck in recent years) and every other hack who decided to write a book in November of 2004 have ruined it for me. Your average Red Sox fan is pretty much a 1996-2003 Yankee fan with a “B” on his cap instead of an “NY”.

After observing the out-of-proportion joy exhibited by non-Red Sox fans since last night’s loss, I have decided the cheering for the Red Sox is now like cheering for the dealer in a game of blackjack. I can’t force myself to stop rooting for the Red Sox, because all that the players have done to merit this reaction is win two World Series championships in the past five years, but I’m tired of being a Red Sox fan. I know that I\'m not the type of fan that makes people hate the Red Sox (read Wolfman\'s posts about the Patriots in last season\'s NFL thread if you don\'t know what type of fan I\'m talking about), but I don\'t like being associated with Simmons et al. and dealing with the ensuing visceral reaction from every other baseball fan in America.

And, as far as Yankee fans are concerned, it puzzles me to watch them cheer so adamantly for the Rays over the Red Sox. I understand that the Rays winning is great for baseball, as I too want to see the Rays win as a "baseball fan", but it’s being taken to a dangerous extreme by Yankee fans. The Red Sox winning would be par from the course, whereas the Rays winning is just miring the Yanks deeper in the ranks of third place in the AL East. I would be cheering for the Rays to beat the Yankees too, but I wouldn\'t be gloating as if Tampa Bay has been my favorite team for the past decade. To turn this into a college football analogy (because, why not), it would be like Florida fans going crazy that LSU beats Georgia in the SEC Championship.

Red Sox-Yankees will ALWAYS be a rivalry- even if it’s just in the way that Raiders-Broncos is still technically a rivalry- but as it stands right now, the Yankees are on the outside looking in on the best rivalry in baseball: Red Sox-Rays.
Go see your Breakfast, there are starving Leiths in California