Author Topic: members of the breakfast have....  (Read 6517 times)

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
members of the breakfast have....
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »
I told you guys the dixie cups were yum ;)
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

> > > forums.alpinezone.com > > > Pelland Advertising

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »
Well said timmy.
My question is why dosent dpeck hand over the reigns to this place to folks who actually still give a flying fuck?
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 04:26:30 pm »
Go break is balls about it, Freddie. I know how to operate and run this shit, vBulletin is super easy. Spend enough time here anyway. Reckon I\'ve volunteered before.
Put the pointed pencil in the pepper-po and take a little sniff of the things below. :sadban:

tmn8r1

• Guitar Slave
    • http://www.thebreakfast.org
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »
I agree guys. I would like to breathe some fresh air into this message board and foster new fans and excitement. Maybe a makeover? give it a new look.
When words leave off, music begins. - Heinrich Heine

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 04:58:02 pm »
duane\'s right!

i\'m taking my talents to http://www.fabo.info
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »
Biggest problem I see with this message board is that it\'s based on vBulletin and not phpBB. Upgrading vBulletin is expensive. phpBB is free and packed with a lot more features.

I might go ahead and work on a new phpBB forum, see how easy it is to migrate content. And then see if people here like it? If not I\'ll use my newly acquired domain for something else ;)

I am thinking a forum with better integration of The Breakfast, Kung Fu, and other fusion-type music, and bands that a lot of members may be enthusiastic about otherwise, as well as side projects. Hopefully this would gain some fresh fans and foster more diverse discussions.

If my forum proves to be obviously way-better, I\'ll leave it up to whomever if they want to hand over http://www.thebreakfast.info domain to me ... otherwise I\'ll be working off another domain.

edit:: actually, for me to do this, it would have to be much better. Including a Front Page "News" section with a good CMS system, and widget-able Facebook integration. If I find what I\'m looking for in a free and open source GPL package, I\'ll land this sucker on http://www.fusionfans.org :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:30:37 pm by bdfreetuna »

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 05:15:08 pm »
The thing is, what about mike deary who\'s been spending his own money to fund this place? Not really fair to him.
I don\'t see dpeck handing the place over though.
Maybe start a new sure and give deary administration status.
Thus place is crusty balls.
Needs a makeover ssomethin ugly.
Might as well take it elsewhere and maybe score some momentum that could possibly rub off on new fans
If granted admin status, is be more than happy to help out any way I can.
I don\'t come out to many shows these days, so the least I could do is help out in other ways.
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

santropez

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 05:52:57 pm »
Quote from: ChrisLikesBass;262545
I find it interesting that there is already 25 comments about this stupid negative pointless thread and only 3 comments about the Iron Horse Show. This is THEBREAKFAST.INFO, not CURRENTMEMBERSOFTHEBREAKFASTANDTHEIRSIDEPROJECTS.INFO  how about a virtual group hug?

yayyyy i agree.  the iron horse show was AMAZING and i hope i am doing this quoting thing  right cuz i am a ser n00b both to the breakfast and especially to this website.....so i hope it doesn\'t die.

as long as breakfast shows get posted, i am happy.  the members of the band are busy.  totally understandable.

however, like i said, i\'m a n00b, and i don\'t really know how this shit works anyway.

but i thoroughly enjoyed myself at the FREAKOUT :sonic:  woooo

how can i quote timmy too without putting it in my last post??  for a site that is "old as balls" i sure can\'t figure it out
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:52:57 pm by santropez »

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »
I could be wrong but other than holding the domain name because he\'s paid for it through said date (i forget what it is), he hasn\'t officially posted since NYE of 2009, I don\'t think he\'s officially been managing the site for a while.  I thought it was the other mods/admins that had been chipping in to do alot of the updating... That being said, I\'d love to help out anyway I can.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:00:13 pm by simpletwistupdon »
Where to next?

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:26 pm »
Quote from: freddiewaht;262598
The thing is, what about mike deary who\'s been spending his own money to fund this place? Not really fair to him.
I don\'t see dpeck handing the place over though.
Maybe start a new sure and give deary administration status.
Thus place is crusty balls.
Needs a makeover ssomethin ugly.
Might as well take it elsewhere and maybe score some momentum that could possibly rub off on new fans
If granted admin status, is be more than happy to help out any way I can.
I don\'t come out to many shows these days, so the least I could do is help out in other ways.

Well, I\'ve been researching forum software and different alternatives.

There are none which are substantially better than vBulletin. However vBulletin is proprietary, paid software, which means I won\'t develop with it. Conversion to phpBB is possible but I would need a backup of the MySQL database. But, I don\'t really care about doing this. I\'d rather make a forum for all fans of jazz/rock/funk Fusion music, so it attracts a lot of different people and brings various communities together. Obviously The Breakfast and Kung Fu would get a lot of focus, and existing admins and moderators here would be welcome to retain their positions. Why not?

So, this means building a new forum into some kind of content management system, which could be based on something like Joomla or Wordpress.

And honestly, after looking at all this, I don\'t really think these CMS systems are all that mature at the moment, and phpBB really doesn\'t have much advantage over vBulletin over being free and having better community support.

There is a new version of vBulletin called the Publishing Suite 4.0 which will give an upgraded version of vBulletin that is tied seamlessly into a content management system, which will give you a nice front "news" page and be able to post articles, and have contributing members post articles as well. Basically you could make a full site with this which people could log into, and then click on "Forums"... this costs $300 though.

So, can I do this stuff, sure. Am I going to invest like $500 and several weeks of time to really set it up professionally right now? No.

I may reserve my domain space, however, and keep a close eye on the evolution of free & open alternatives.

Until then, the best thing for http://www.thebreakfast.info would be to add one or two more people as "Admin", or at least make a few of the more active members "Moderators", so we can share the reponsibility of adding threads to "The Chase" and updating the calendar. vBulletin 3.x doesn\'t have amazing themes, so don\'t expect this site to get a major beautification overhaul the way it\'s currently (and probably will remain) set up.

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 08:35:34 pm »
....the best job making the best music.
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

GLuft3

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 09:08:52 pm »
Not to sound like a total fanboy, but

...absolutely rage!  No matter who they\'re playing with or in what no good NoHo venue.

It certainly is nice to have them playing in our local area--and too bad that it\'s not more worth their while to tour farther and wider.

Clearly, these are some seriously talented guys that we are lucky to know and appreciate.  They deserve to be playing to larger crowds, but the music business is a strange one indeed.

Thanks for all you do, guys.  Keep playing and we\'ll keep coming back for more.  I for one am sorry that I\'m not able to get out more often, but I\'m doing the best I can juggling work, family and other responsibilities.

Keep on rockin in the free world!

Oh, and tuna, please make sure there\'s a bitchin\' and moanin\' forum on the new site.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:08:52 pm by GLuft3 »
Always with the negative waves, Moriarty!  Always with the negative waves!

frolfer

• breakfast geek
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 09:49:21 pm »
I like this site. I am here more than any other in cyber space. With no Breakfast forum I would be :(
Painted wind and sound, sun and all the clouds, oohooh

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 10:52:51 pm »
I\'d love a .info blackberry app.  It looks easy to do if you know Java.

BlackBerry Developer
Java Platform
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:56:06 pm by cannontrip »
♥♫∞

bdfreetuna

• Team Gladys
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 12:08:44 am »
Quote from: GLuft3;262623
Oh, and tuna, please make sure there\'s a bitchin\' and moanin\' forum on the new site.

Yeah brother! That\'s what I like to call the "Front Page" ;)