Author Topic: Random of Montreal bashing: All the cool kids are doing it! Hurry before it\'s uncool!  (Read 6931 times)

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
Quote from: bdfreetuna;227790
See, this is weird, cuz my buddy who\'s been mega-obsessed with Of Monteal probably as long as I\'ve been down with Breakfast said the Toad\'s show was totally wack and he might even like the band less now.

He probably could have used some better drugs?

we all had an amazing time...

huge preparty at my place down the street, which included drinks, shots, and great friends of mine (all of whom i introduced to the band)... an amazing show in which i heard a huge chunk of my favorite album (including my best friends favorite song she was hoping for!), our whole herd was raging that show harder than all the cynical hipsters surrounding us... followed by a sweet late-night celebration back at my place.... gin bucket plus some euphoric substances.... it was the most fun i\'ve had at a show in CT in a long long long long long time.....

...  shows are what you make of them, and that night was simply perfect. surrounded by my close friends & my soul mate.... ahhh..... i have goosebumps again!
and what CAN you do, when your world is invaded by a reggaejunkiejew?!?

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Quote from: princesscaspian;227811

...  shows are what you make of them

couldn\'t agree with you more about that statement.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

davepeck

• Administrator
See, this is weird, cuz my buddy who\'s been mega-obsessed with Of Monteal probably as long as I\'ve been down with Breakfast said the Toad\'s show was totally wack and he might even like the band less now.

i had a fantastic time at the toad\'s show, and it was one of the best days i can remember, but the band was off. way off. if it was phish and i was flub-counting, i would have lost track early on.

i liked the october shows i saw much better. they were a bigger band, had a much more elaborate stage, were tighter, and played about a half hour longer. they\'ve since stripped it down to a 5-piece, ditched a huge amount of their stage and theatrics, and cut down on showtimes.

i didn\'t have a bad time at all. i was pretty much glowing from beginning to end. but out of the 3 shows i\'ve seen, toad\'s was easily the worst.

but i\'d do it again in a heartbeat.

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
Quote from: davepeck;227825

i had a fantastic time at the toad\'s show, and it was one of the best days i can remember, but the band was off. way off. if it was phish and i was flub-counting, i would have lost track early on.

i liked the october shows i saw much better. they were a bigger band, had a much more elaborate stage, were tighter, and played about a half hour longer. they\'ve since stripped it down to a 5-piece, ditched a huge amount of their stage and theatrics, and cut down on showtimes.

i didn\'t have a bad time at all. i was pretty much glowing from beginning to end. but out of the 3 shows i\'ve seen, toad\'s was easily the worst.

but i\'d do it again in a heartbeat.

fair enough.... its luck you werent at the music hall of williamsburg in december. that was def the worst show i\'ve ever seen....

Me!

• life got in the way
    • http://www.myspace.com/ekkatin
what is the music hall of williamsburg like?  How big? how\'s security? ect....  I\'m going there in a couple weeks and I\'ve never been there.
Everywhere there\'s lots of piggies, Living piggy lives. You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives, Clutching forks and knives To eat their bacon

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Quote from: Me!;227839
what is the music hall of williamsburg like?  How big? how\'s security? ect....  I\'m going there in a couple weeks and I\'ve never been there.

pretty sweet. holds 700 maybe. security? what security? drink prices you\'d expect (more expensive than you\'d like). their bathrooms have super hot water. overall awesome place to see a show. especially for a band that\'s way too big to play there
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

princesscaspian

• gemini tactics
its a pretty good size, didnt see too much security when i went there.... i thought the sound was average at best, but i was standing on the side balcony... there is a 2nd level balcony which looked like a great spot too, we got there a bit late so we didnt have time to scope out a good location, i think that is important. i am terrible at estimating capacity but i\'d say 2-3x toads place ?

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Quote from: zuke583;227840
Quote from: Me!;227839

pretty sweet. holds 700 maybe. security? what security? drink prices you\'d expect (more expensive than you\'d like). their bathrooms have super hot water. overall awesome place to see a show. especially for a band that\'s way too big to play there

Quote from: princesscaspian;227844
i am terrible at estimating capacity but i\'d say 2-3x toads place ?
:wah:

It\'s def. smaller than Toad\'s.  I\'d say 500ish on capacity.  The balaconies give it a grand feel, but don\'t hold many people at all.
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
survey says....

550 (per google)

wildcoyote

• El Cuco
Quote from: zuke583;227847
survey says....

550 (per google)

YEAH! Closet bid w/o going over! :disco:
A man who has seen the things I have seen,
experienced the loss and pain I have experienced,
I transcend race, hombre.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
As this was my first OM show, I cannot comment on show-to-show consistency.  It\'s unfortunate to hear from serious fans that they are not consistent.  However, what I can say is that they definitely were not "off" in Boston at all on the night after Toad\'s.  I know the songs very well and they didn\'t miss a thing.  I\'m sure they were using the same "stripped down" setup from night to night, but at The Paradise (much smaller than Toad\'s) this setup pwn3d the entire room.  They had 30 feet of projector screens behind 20 feet of stage, so that entire side of the club was mind-bending.  The house light show is more than adequate to fill the whole room, and they were rocking that plus some of their own lights on the stage.  A 5 person band fills the stage quite nicely at The Paradise, then you throw in all the extra performers and the stage was packed with action.  I could see how the same setup wouldn\'t overtake Toad\'s, but at The Paradise it was awesome.

Spacey

• w0okadactyl fo\' life
Is this the equivalent to the Club Kids movement in the 1990\'s?

Listened/watched video on Dave\'s facebook and I don\'t see this as my type of music.

Maybe I can better say after I see more of the video\'s from Toad\'s.
Love many, trust few and don\'t be late.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
Quote from: Spacey;227897

Listened/watched video on Dave\'s facebook and I don\'t see this as my type of music.

i\'d start with \'the sunlandic twins\' album if you\'re trying to get into the music. i can post it if you\'re interested

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Quote from: Spacey;227897

Trust yourself. Really.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
never mind everybody. leith doesn\'t like em so let\'s all give up. iron maiden tour \'09 it is.

how can you live in san diego and be such a downer all the time?