Author Topic: Return of the King  (Read 5302 times)

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Return of the King
« on: December 19, 2003, 12:31:57 pm »
So out of all three, the book that has the most to offer gets GUTTED. Great movie if u have not read the books but if u have read them, u may be upset at the amt taken out.
 I understand that all 3 movies get the added footage upon DVD release but not this one. Peter Jackson did not even shoot many important sections of the book. If he was to add even a modicum of the missing sections the DVD would be @ least an 1 hr and 15min longer. Overall xcellent film. Could have used a bit more Mithrandir magic but can\'t have it all. Only 3hr and 10min long not so bad.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

davepeck

• Administrator
Return of the King
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 12:35:23 pm »
good thing i hate to read! :D

i have all the books, and tried to force myself to read them (i really hate reading!), and i only got halfway through the hobbit...

that said, rotk tonight at 9pm for me, and i\'m psyched...

leith

Return of the King
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 12:46:47 pm »
You should be psyched. It does rock and not knowing what is going to happen has only got to make it that much more exciting. As for reading, unless u are an avid reader Tolkein is hard to grasp and gets very boring. Have fun Dave and pls leave the costumed fanboys alone they only want to see the movie too :)

Yoda

• Smell My Finger
Return of the King
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 12:54:51 pm »
I agree with you about some important scenes from the book being left out of the movie, but that has been a problem for Tolkien purists throughout the course of the three movies.  There is just too much going on in the books to portray everything in the movies.  If it was done that way, each movie would be at least 5 hours.  I\'d be pretty happy with what we got.  For a budget of $330 million, Jackson created three great movies, where Titanic cost nearly $200 million, I think and it was probably one of the worst movies I have seen since Bones!  I for for one have read the books and several other Tolkien books.  I am happy with the representation.  

For anyone who has read the books, go see the movie with an open mind and don\'t look for a carbon copy, word for word, because you won\'t get it, which is the case for 99.9% of all books that are turned into movies.  

For those of you haven\'t read the books, enjoy the movie for what it is and pick up the book if you get a chance.

db
The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with - Bruce Springsteen

bluefunknebula

• F th cops n censorship 2
    • http://www.myspace.com/amplifier_worship
Return of the King
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 12:57:08 pm »
Originally posted by davepeck
i have all the books, and tried to force myself to read them (i really hate reading!), and i only got halfway through the hobbit...

haha!! i\'m so glad the movies came out for the same reason...i like to read, but i got the hobbit and trilogy when i was a kid...and all i did was study the cool maps that were included in the books...never made it through a complete book. i feel like a moron, but i just could never get into reading them. i think i have a phobia of 600 page books that don\'t have lots of illustration. i even told myself i was gonna dig em out when the movies were being made...they\'re still packed away somewhere :(

leith

Return of the King
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 04:17:58 pm »
Hey Yoda, my main point was that this book was the one really gutted. I have no real problem w/ the other 2 movies especially the xtended versions but leaving out whole chapters is different than leaving out scenes within chapters. I agree on the whole i am grateful to Peter Jackson for bringing these books to life. You can tell he is a fan because Everyone I talk to that has read the books has said the same thing " When I watch these movies, it\'s like Peter Jackson read my mind because everything is exactly as I pictured it ". I was just saying that beware, we all know that you can not cram all of the books in and you have to make it for the masses who do not read or just haven\'t read these books but this film left out more than the other 2 did. That\'s all. By all means everyone go see it having read the books or not . Great movie.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Return of the King
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 03:19:09 am »
CAVEAT:  MAJOR SPOILER.  DO NOT RECOMMEND READING IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE.

ROTK?  Eh.  Two Towers was much better.  

-Battle scenes in ROTK had some cool effects, but overall did not stack up with the battle of Helms Deep from Two Towers.  Not even close.  In ROTK, it\'s like, everything\'s chill, then next thing you know they\'re battling.  The battle of Helms Deep had almost two hours leading up to it, and carried far more meaning.

-"I am no man" oh god, a blind man could see this coming all the way from Eisengard.  Give me a break.  I almost yakked.    

-What is up with cheese factor 5 at the end of the movie?  It should have ended five times.  But it was just cheese cheese and more cheese.  Sam\'s wedding scene?  C\'mon... definitely did not need that.

-Distinct lacking of Liv Tyler and the Ents.

-The story itself is a letdown when nobody, not one single good guy, gets whacked.  It\'s too good.  Sam should have been forced to push Frodo into the pit with the ring.  Now THAT\'S a story.  I even would have settled for the lava washing them up when they\'re on the rock.   Aragon should have gotten slain after they dispose of the ring, and never gotten to see his unborn child.  The dark rider dude should have taken out Gandalf before getting plugged by the woman.  OK, the King gets iced, big deal.  The story lost power with being too tra-la-la.  

Look, it\'s a really good movie, don\'t get me wrong, it just doesn\'t stack up with it\'s predecessors.  Tough standards to live up to.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 10:59:28 am by Wolfman »

freddiewaht

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
    • http://db.etree.org/freddiewaht420
Return of the King
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:11:10 am »
people who read are lame!!!
take the E to the A to the D...you\'ll be all set

leith

Return of the King
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 02:29:06 pm »
Wolf if you had read the books I may be more inclined to agree w/ you. Seeing your comments that got blacked out it is obvious u have not read them. ROTK has too much to wrap up for a 3hr. and 10min movie. The SFX in this movie far outdo either of the prior 2 movies. The battle scenes were spectacular in size. I admit some cheese in the lines and if Peter Jackson had stuck w/ the end of the book it would have been waaaaaay better . Believe It!!!!!!!!!
Hey Freddie maybe if you learned how to read a little better your spelling would improve. Turn on Sesame St. once in awhile it seems to be your speed.

Jtmirie

Return of the King
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 05:10:50 pm »
See Leith,not everyone read the books. Haha Im not the only one.

leith

Return of the King
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 08:27:10 pm »
Yeah but you\'re screwy anyway. U haven\'t seen any of them anyway have u? What ?  Answer that call damnit!

antbach

• bron bron bachinski
    • http://www.myspace.com/antbach
Return of the King
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 12:20:22 am »
blah, didn\'t even read any of the thread, but I just know that I\'ll personally hate the movie and probably will not see it for a long long time. I gave The Hobbit a valiant effort and also managed to get threw half at most, but I enjoy reading and have read the Potter series at least 4 times each, except Order. Guess LOTR is just personal preference
"Okay everybody, for my next miracle, I\'m going to turn water into funk!"

leith

Return of the King
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 01:03:53 am »
Tolkein\'s writing is very archaic and unless one is in the right frame of mind it is hard to latch onto. The LOTR trilogy is written in a manner drastically different than The Hobbit though so I suggest giving it a try.

bluefunknebula

• F th cops n censorship 2
    • http://www.myspace.com/amplifier_worship
Return of the King
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 03:17:21 am »
just a semi-related point of possible interest:

go to aquariusrecords.org   search keyword bo hansson and scroll down to his record, lord of the rings. you can check out some samples of some old, mellow psychedelia "inspired" by the books.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Return of the King
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 12:55:34 pm »
Um... 2 questions...

1.  Why did I get blacked out?  Are we not entitled to our opinions?  Saying PB is a horrible band in this forum would be one thing, but giving your honest opinion on a movie is not a big deal.  Since when is this forum run like Iraq or something?  Agree or be silenced...wow.  Blacking out comments that are in no way insulting, hateful, or threatening PB is a serious threat to the integrity of this group.

2.  Who blacked out my comments, and why are they too cowardly to admit to doing it and explaining why they did it?