Author Topic: (Disco) Biscuits for Breakfast(.info)  (Read 40669 times)

Vassillios

• straight from the gutter
(Disco) Biscuits for Breakfast(.info)
« Reply #270 on: March 19, 2010, 03:31:36 pm »
Quote from: simpletwistupdon;254444
http://www.jambands.com/news/2010/03/19/the-disco-biscuits-to-perform-with-guests-following-injury/

oof!

alcohol related injury perhaps?
i think it\'s turning back on me / i\'m down on the upside

bezerker

• Gaboooooooo
« Reply #271 on: March 19, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »
what a dumb ass
*Gia*

simpletwistupdon

• Breakfast Nomad
  • Administrator
« Reply #272 on: March 19, 2010, 04:30:01 pm »
Quote from: Vassillios;254445
http://www.jambands.com/news/2010/03/19/the-disco-biscuits-to-perform-with-guests-following-injury/

oof!

alcohol related injury perhaps?

perhaps... of course there\'s no comment on the reason. if it was something legit i\'m prettysure they would have mentioned why.
Where to next?

cannontrip

• breakfast greek
  • ʻāwikiwiki
    • b'fastin
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »

oof!

new link http://www.jambands.com/news/2010/03/19/the-disco-biscuits-to-perform-with-guests-following-injury-update
The Disco Biscuits’ performance at Montclair, NJ’s Wellmont Theater this Saturday has been postponed...

EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE continued ad infinitum.
♥♫∞

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2010, 04:01:12 pm »
Here\'s my take on last night\'s Boston show that I wrote for Melophobe.com  Too bad they have no sense of urgency when it comes to posting stuff even though I implored them.  It\'s now a .info exclusive...enjoy!

What REALLY Happened At Disco Biscuits 3/19/2010

By Seth Wolfman

The Biscuits are coming!  The Biscuits are coming!  One if by land, two if by sea!  Three if by spaceship!  Well, hide the women and children and hang three lanterns in the Old North…the Disco Biscuits are in Boston.  Oh boy, this was a doozie…

The night before the show, lead guitarist Barber breaks his wrist.  The official band statement posted on the will-call window says that he fell backstage at the show the night before.  It’s the most classic excuse in the book, but that’s fine.  The band is entitled to cover up for their man. It’s really not all that important how it happened, it just matters that it happened and he’s out for 3-4 weeks.  But get this…the letter goes on to state that the band is refunding everyone’s tickets 100%.  Wow.  Everyone should tip their crooked hat to the band.  What a great call.  One would figure that the band had two options: either cancel the show and refund everyone’s money, or patch together a show and keep the money.  But to go through with the show AND give it to everyone for free?  That’s as good as it gets right there.  With a sold out show at $25 per ticket, that’s $25,000 coming straight out of the Biscuit bank account. You know the House of Blues isn’t going to take a hit because some guy in some band hurt himself.  HOB is still getting theirs.  Way to go Bisco, that’s how it’s done!

Things get even better.  The three remaining band members come out and start the show “Driscuit” style with just drums, bass, and keys.  Why the heck not?  I’m not a Barber hater by any means, but you don’t need guitar to throw down an earth-shaking drum n bass rinseout.  Just ask The New Deal.  So they come out and crush a 15-minute jungle jam that almost justified the price of the ticket on its own (had it not already been refunded).  It’s funny…there are myriad examples in sports where teams actually play better in the short term when the star player gets hurt, because everyone else really has to focus.  In the long term you need your best guys to win, but for a couple of games teams often do well due to the heightened focus of everyone who’s left.  I believe that The Disco Biscuits experienced that tonight.  After a great opener they trot out a guitar player who they scraped up that afternoon.  He wasn’t that great but he wasn’t bad either and he drove 8 hours round trip from Burlington, VT to be there so you gotta give him some love.  The jams were still thick and juicy, the place is still bumping.  Then they bring out the guitar player from Indobox, the opening band from Boston.  Wouldn’t you know it, the guy is a Bisco fan.  He’s got a Mars Volta haircut and he’s dressed like he’s in Weezer.  This might work out.  He takes the stage and within ten seconds he’s singing the lead vocals on Helicopters!  Look out below!  Another great jam ensues and off we go to setbreak to a thunderous ovation.  Show: SAVED!

Or so we thought.

45 minutes into setbreak, they turn all the lights on and kill the PA music.  But nothing happens.  Everyone continued their normal conversations, but I got the distinct feeling that something very fishy was going down.  Another ten minutes goes by like this, and setbreak is just short of an hour long.

Then it happens.

A HOB employee comes out and announces that the show is canceled due to “technical difficulties.”  The entire band and even the two guest guitarists are on the side of the stage in what appears to be heated discussion with some HOB staff.  Brownie looks pissed.  This was clearly not the band’s call.  They obviously had gone all-out to pull off this show, even recruiting guitarists to drive four hours to the show on six hours notice.  I can guarantee that the HOB pulled the plug, the only question is why.  They had been kicking people out left and right all night.  Not too unusual for this venue at any show, and not unusual for a Bisco show where there’s a lot of enforcement.  The place was definitely crowded but was also noticeably short for a sold out show.  My best guess is that they just got sick of it.  Someone at HOB with the power to do so probably just figured, “Screw this show…these kids are out of control, they’re too spun to buy drinks, the band’s guitar player isn’t even here, it was a free show anyway…let’s pull the plug.”  Yes, a few idiots threw drinks at the stage, which only risked damaging the band’s equipment.  No, it was not a full scale riot.  Brownie came out and diffused the situation quickly.  I do not consider the drink-throwing to be a Bisco fan problem.  I don’t think there’s any show on earth you could cancel at setbreak without a couple of morons throwing drinks.  Maybe Yanni.  Aside from that, there’s gonna be morons at any show.      

In the end, money talks.  This is probably why HOB canceled the show.  It is also why Bisco came out on top tonight.  Despite the odds being stacked against them they kept the show on, gave everyone their money back before the show even started, and then somehow delivered an excellent set.  They then fought to stay on when the house said no more.  Huge props to the band.  And with the exception of a couple of drink-throwing morons, props to the fans as well for giving the show a chance and getting down hard in the face of adversity.  I’m glad I was there.  It was well worth the $0 it cost me.  I’ll save getting mad until the next time a Bisco show ends before midnight…which will hopefully never happen again.

skalnbyc

• Taqueria Overexposure
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »
great review, bullshit ending!
Lobbying for a Kote>Beer Jubilee>Gypsy Girl>Prom 97>Vortex

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2010, 04:41:19 pm »
great review but holy shit i cannot believe what went down!

Wolfman

« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »
Quote from: galenas;254477
great review but holy shit i cannot believe what went down!

I wrote that on deadline in 52 minutes the second I got home!

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »
Thanks for your perspective Wolfman. any truth to the rumors that the show was canceled due to **** smoke backstage? do you think the Biscuits are gonna break up, replace Barber for good, or work shit out and keep on untzin? The most important question, ARE THEY FUCKIN SER WITH THAT NEW ALBUM?
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

Wolfman

« Reply #279 on: March 20, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »
Quote from: Gfunk;254488
Thanks for your perspective Wolfman. any truth to the rumors that the show was canceled due to **** smoke backstage?

This might be the excuse, but it cannot possibly be the actual reason.  Just think it through.  Every band smokes pot backstage.  Does every show get shut down?  No.  If any rock club decided they were shutting down bands that smoke pot in the green room, the club would be out of business in a minute.  The real reason is the one I wrote above:  

"Someone at HOB with the power to do so probably just figured, “Screw this show…these kids are out of control, they’re too spun to buy drinks, the band’s guitar player isn’t even here, it was a free show anyway…let’s pull the plug."

If they didn\'t say as much but rather just made the excuse that the band was smoking pot, then that\'s the excuse.  But it cannot possibly be the actual reason the show got shut down.

Gfunk

• Papa^
    • http://www.myspace.com/weaksauce603
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2010, 07:53:01 pm »
i heard the fire marshall was there and wasn\'t to happy about the ***** cloud but that could easily be bullshit. but "someone at the HOB just decided to shut it down cause bisco kids were spun" doesn\'t really add up to me.
Facial Hair Would Be So Nice

FieryBill

• People Party Coast2Coast
« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »
Wow.... so between the new album no one likes, the album release show very few people liked, barber\'s accident, and last night, this has been a great week in bisco history! I\'m glad I caught the egg show, which was awesome....

I\'ve been reading a lot of PT Bisco today and people are saying the fire marshall was there because of the **** and the cops didn\'t shut the show down... the fire marshall did, and HOB wanted it go on. I\'m pretty intrigued here, I\'d really like to know what actually went down.... this is a FUCKED situation that definitely does not occur everyday!

Like you said, people are always blazing backstage at shows.... I can\'t figure this out. If you\'re right that some dude with the power at HOB shut it down, that\'s incredibly lame. When it rains it pours eh?

Wolfman

« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2010, 03:02:02 am »
Quote from: Gfunk;254497
i heard the fire marshall was there and wasn\'t to happy about the ***** cloud but that could easily be bullshit. but "someone at the HOB just decided to shut it down cause bisco kids were spun" doesn\'t really add up to me.

The Fire Marshall rumor also makes no sense whatsoever.  Some spun kid probably said it outside the show, some other spun kid heard it and posted it on PT-Bisco, and boom, that\'s the story everyone believes.  But it makes no sense at all.  This venue is secure up the ass.  You have to clear four stations just to get in: an ID check, two ticket checks, and the most thorough frisk I have ever seen anywhere. (They searched my wallet and they made a bunch of people take off their shoes!)  They know exactly how many people are in the building.  If they\'re going over the fire code, it\'s because they have the fire marshall taken care of, as most venues do.  What a coincidence that a fire marshall randomly showed up to a show that just HAPPENS to be the band with the sketchiest fans ON EARTH and decided that was the night he was going to shut down the HOB for too many people.  :no:  

The HOB shut down the show because they were sick of peeling spunions off the bathroom floor.  They were sick of the kids doing drugs who they tried to throw out only to get punches thrown back at them.  They were sick of a bunch of kids that get high and drop E instead of buying drinks.  Basically they decided enough was enough.  Their decision was made very easy by the fact that the band was already refunding everyone\'s tickets.  They took advantage of the band in this respect.  

Don\'t believe the hype, just use your noggin!

FieryBill

• People Party Coast2Coast
« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2010, 07:22:45 am »
I hear ya man...

(I\'m trying to come up with a funny Fire Marshall Bill joke right now but I can\'t, the effort is there, lol...)

They searched your wallet? OMFG. Sounds like this whole thing was a complete clusterfuck. Glad I wasn\'t there. Amazing what a difference a night makes. The Egg was "eggcellent"!

I\'ve seen Bisco 16 times since 2003 now, and I always feel so out of place at their shows. Being that I\'m not Shady McShadeball and all... but I genuinely enjoy their music and don\'t wanna stop going! I just try to concentrate on the music and ignore all the morons around me.... thank god the Breakfast community isn\'t like this! Where did these people come from?  

And btw.... I normally buy 1-2 drinks tops at most shows I go to, if that, so praise jesus that everybody isn\'t like me in that respect, all the venues would have such shitty drink sales more friggen shows might get cancelled at setbreak!

Wolfman

« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2010, 09:43:36 am »
They searched my wallet.  I already had it out of my pocket.  Dude took it in his hand and searched each individual credit card slot.  Meanwhile other people were getting thorough foot-checks...guy would massage their entire shoe from tongue to toe.  If he didn\'t like something, you had to take your shoes off and then he took a flashlight to the inside of your shoes.

Anyhow, here\'s the review on Melophobe, feel free to share: http://www.melophobe.com/concert-reviews/the-disco-biscuits-house-of-blues-boston-ma/