Author Topic: The ONE and ONLY Phish Summer 2004 Setlists & Reviews Thread  (Read 5913 times)

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Set I: Song I Heard The Ocean Sing > Dinner and a Movie > The Curtain With > Sample in a Jar, The Moma Dance> Free, Nothing, Maze, Frankenstein
Set II: 46 Days> Possum, The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony> Suzy Greenberg> Jam, Axilla, Also Sprach Zarathustra > Birds of a Feather, Kung, Mike\'s Song> I am Hydrogen> Weekapaug Groove
Encore: The Divided Sky

Oh.  My.  Goodness!  
I was in favor of them hanging it up.  Play out a few shows, give everyone their last chance, and then pack it in.  Five years of decline would come to a respectable end, and we could all remember the good years.

Forget about me being in favor of them quitting!  They can’t quit now, not after this.  This was one of the very best Phish shows I’ve ever seen.  Probably the best first set I’ve ever seen from them.  SIHTOS is the best tune on the new album, they turned it out nicely, then straight into DAAM and into The Curtain.  Now that’s a Phish segue!  Curtain was nailed, then into Sample which was very well played also.  Four songs deep and they stop for the first time, very nice, and three very old songs to go with the best new song, extremely nice.  Moma Dance > Free, two more great Phish songs and a creative and smooth segue.  Nothing was alright.  Maze and Frankenstein to close set I, I mean, hold onto your hats, they’re not fooling around at all!  First set = SER.

2nd Set another strong new tune to open, segued into one of their alltime classics, Possum.  Then Oh Kee Pah into Suzy Greenberg?!?!  Did I just go to sleep and wake up in 1988?  Axilla rocked, 2001 was tight, segue into Birds was a little rough but Birds itself built into another excellent jam.  They finally took a break for the first time the entire show, taking 3 minutes to decide to play Kung.  It didn’t matter at this point though, they had everyone sold that this was going to be a great show.  Another minute of deliberation and they went into a sweet Mike’s Groove that left nothing to be desired.  All they needed to do now was put the icing on the cake and not come out with a lame encore.  Done and done.  Divided Sky to finish the show.  Holy smokes.  What a gig.  For those out there who can never get enough of the old material (myself included), do you realize that the entire 2nd set after 46 Days could have been played in 1995?  Or that if you take out Birds the entire set could have been played in the eighties?  That is one hell of a Phish show.

I’d give this show an immaculate 9/10.  I can’t believe they played this well.  If this keeps up, they really might get half a million to Coventry.

Wolfman

The 2 miracles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 09:30:48 am »
The setbreak story:

During setbreak, heavy rain started pouring.  A security worker near the field level entrance moved a barricade so that people could go up into the stands and under cover.  He moved the barricade enough for a single file of people to go through.  I was waiting to go through, but then he closed off the barricade.  As soon as the barricade was closed, another security worker punched me quite hard in the back, and shouted into my ear, “I said get the fuck out of my way six times.”  I had never heard him say anything.  I only replied, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know I was in your way.”  

About 3-5 minutes passed and I thought nothing of what had just taken place.  After this time the young worker came back with a compatriot.  They both grabbed me and shoved me down onto my stomach on the metal.  They began to beat me about the head, neck, and shoulders.  Once I struggled my way up, they continued shoving me towards the exit.  Then one of them grabbed me tightly around the neck and dragged me out completely by my neck.  I never put up any resistance, preferring to just leave rather than be thrown to the ground and beaten.

This is the first concert or event of any kind I ever got thrown out of!  So what did I do?  I went to my car, which was about two minutes away, changed my shirt for good measure (and to get dry), and waltzed right back in the same entrance.  The guy scanned my ticket and it said that it had already been scanned, but I told him that I just went out to change my shirt and he let me in.  Miracle #1: Getting thrown out, then not five minutes later getting back in via the same entrance I got thrown out of!  And all during setbreak so I didn\'t miss a thing.

So I get back in and realize that my keys are gone.  This sucks, but fortunately I have a backup car key so I could at least get home.  I watch 2nd set with Walsh, then we go out to our cars, which are next to each other.  My keys are long gone.  I call my roomate and beg him to wait up for me to let me into the apartment.  So I\'m just standing there and this woman comes up to me, "Is that your car?"  Yes, why?  "I found these keys near it."  Oh my god.  Only on Phish lot.  She wanted me to prove that it was my car though, and I couldn\'t find my registration.  Then I remembered that I had my backup key, popped the trunk, and the deal was done.  I offered her beer, T-Shirts, even money but she wouldn\'t take anything, just let me give her a quick hug and she was off into the night.  Miracle #2 complete.  I love lot.

Wolfman

The ONE and ONLY Phish Summer 2004 Setlists & Reviews Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 09:33:31 am »
The lot story:

By complete coincidence, I\'m parked next to Walsh and Madeline.  We sold lots of beer and $1 Jell-O shots.  It was a lot of fun.  Fin.

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 10:31:50 am »
woah..  so they really did that shit to you for NO reason?! dude, if i were you, i wouldn\'t be changing my shirt at my car, i\'d be on the phone with my lawyer. damn..

btw, i\'m gonna rename this thread to be the one and only phish summer \'04 thread, since we already have 4-5 \'current\' phish threads.

as for the show, i\'m mixed. mainly because i\'ve never been late to a phish show in my life, and on my 97th show, i get my first Dinner And A Movie, and i wasn\'t even there for it. :(

the plan was for justin and i to drive in, but it all started to go downhill with a couple of bad haircuts and a late departure. we hit some THICK traffic starting at exit 11 in CT, and it never lightened up. after getting to stamford and driving a half mile in a half hour on 95, we decided to get off, and take the train in to GCT.. got in, walked to the subway, and knew we would be missing a little. little did we know, it\'s a 50-minute subway ride. :( got off and started walking to the park, and heard the end of maze from the outside. by the time we got onto the field, we caught about the last minute of frankenstein, and then setbreak.

i started asking around about the setlist, and found out i\'d missed a dinner and a movie and a curtain with. ugh. i\'ve seen the curtain with before, but i missed out on my only dinner and a movie. awful. and it was pouring. spirits were pretty low at this point.

i jokingly said to justin on the way down that i hope they play a great 2nd set. they must have heard me. holy shit. this might have been the best set i\'ve seen since pre-hiatus. a neverending 46 days to kick it off, with a seamless entry into possum. oh kee pa?! yup, and as soon as it hit, i was instantly ready to start singin\' suzie! the jam after suzie was pretty much a suzie reprise. like they ended the song, but wanted to keep jamming it out. thick funk. the jam then segued into a rockin\' axilla (i was telling myself that the way they were playing, it wouldn\'t have surprised me if they pulled out an axilla2. they didn\'t, but it was still incredible). more thick funk for 2001 (with a couple of miscues on lights), and a \'forced\' segue into BOAF (the only song of the night i could have done without. didn\'t matter. we\'ll take it.). then a long discussion and dedication of the next song to the folks at shinnecock.. i thought it would be lawn boy, but it was kung instead. fun. sweet mike\'s groove (with mike\'s ending - thank you!!), with the exception of some trey rustiness on the hydrogen. divided sky encore?! WHAT??? wow.

can\'t rate the whole show, because i didn\'t see it, but i can easily say that set 2/E get\'s a strong 9 from me. great song selection, great segues, and for the most part, the playing was right on.

looking forward to more of the same tonight (with the exception of the tardiness).

Wolfman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 11:26:34 am »
Originally posted by davepeck
woah..  so they really did that shit to you for NO reason?! dude, if i were you, i wouldn\'t be changing my shirt at my car, i\'d be on the phone with my lawyer. damn..

The reason was that I looked the kid in the eye and said "I\'m sorry, I didn\'t know I was in your way."  I thought it was no big deal, and I let it slide that he had already punched me at this point.  He walked away, I walked away.  Then he came back 5 minutes later.  This kid could not have been more than 20, but he was a raging meathead and probably drunk.  He was out to explore his power as a security staff member and to get physical with some people, that\'s it.  I wrote a long email to the management already.  I was over it the second I got back in though, the show was so good it made me forget all about it.  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 11:34:47 am by Wolfman »

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 11:50:14 am »
What time did they go on last night.....it seemed like the song by song setlist was up early....i looked at 8:15 and it was 4 songs deep already
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 11:51:47 am »
7:35 start, i believe. ticket time was 7:00, so that\'s about right.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 01:39:39 pm »
Ohh....ok, I was thinkin it was a 7:30 ticket time, so ya, that does make sense

Anybody goin to SPAC?  maybe we can get a breakfast crowd game of frisbee goin or just a few beers
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

Marcial

• Big Wooly Mammoth
    • http://www.chondrolicious.com
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 03:54:42 pm »
I saw the show live last night at a movie theater right by my house... my first show since Hartford 2000... and also my last show.  The theater experience was cool... obviously, it was nothing like being there, but everyone was going nuts.  Great show.  Loved the bass solo going into Free... definitely a highlight for me.  Glad they played some old shit... I have a feeling they will busting out old shit for the rest of the tour.
Switching peeping observing and licking
No telling next day what I be thinking

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 08:14:36 pm »
The close up on Trey\'s finger as he is waiting on the "silent note " in Divided was AWESOME! You could see his finger twitching in anticipation.lol Our theater was packed w/ NO COPS or SECURITY. Never been in a theater w/ smoke so prevalent. Beers snuck in and flowing. NO RAIN I wish they had thought of this earlier. Paid less than 1/2 price of a normal ticket, saw the same show w/ Great sound and my friends. It was one of the best Phish experiences I ever had. Trey has obviously been practicing and other than a few screw-ups was pretty solid. I rather like the new tunes played and the reworking of some songs like Birds and Free.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

leith

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 10:24:48 pm »
Jay-Z guesting on 99 Problems and Big Pimpin\'. OMG Phish seems to be enjoying their mainstream profile huh? Going out in STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 10:47:41 pm »
They must have come on here and looked at my title....;)
How real is that?

leith

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 11:04:31 pm »
Originally posted by realisthis
They must have come on here and looked at my title....;)

LOL First person I thought of when I read it. It had to be better than that trainwreck Girls in Vegas. But then the mack was there so it had to be decent huh?

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 01:49:19 am »
theater i was at in Branford was havin a good time as well. fred and i ducking from glowstick bombardment and meetin Tim later on in the second theater for some beers. great show..only Phish could do something like that..as far as Jay Z and the second night...wish there was a second viewing. the close ups were great on the big screen and watching the rain come down during Maze looked great.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..

Wolfman

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2004, 12:10:28 pm »
Set I: AC/DC Bag, Camel Walk, Crowd Control, Stash, Cars Trucks Buses, Carini, My Sweet One, Character Zero > Tweezer
Set II: Wilson, Down With Disease, 99 Problems, Big Pimpin\', Chalkdust Torture, Harry Hood > Taste
Encore: Bug, Tweezer Reprise

Are they SER?  These guys are charging out of the gate like their name was Smarty Jones.  Nothing like opeing a show in 2004 with two White Tape era songs.  First 3 songs were solid and great selections, with no real jamming.  More of a let\'s-warmup-and-let-everyone-get-in feel.  Nothing wrong with that.  Stash was tightly played, followed by a long-awaited CTB, with some great solos.  Carini slammed as always.  Tweezer was a great placement because I\'m sure a lot of people thought that 0 would be the set closer.  0 really did have the place rockin\', but it\'s a ho-hum closer at this point, so to come out with a jammed out Tweezer after that was great.  Tweezer was the only real jam of the short set.  Overall the show was a lot shorter and ended 30 minutes earlier than last night, presumably becuase they have to get the gear to Saratoga for tomorrow.

Set II no waiting around, Wilson and an early set DWD.  Bam!  Decent DWD jam.  The place went nuts when Jay-Z was introduced, myself included.  How the hell do these 4 white dudes with a hippie jamband hang out with Jay-Z?  Hey, when you\'re huge, you\'re huge.  Seeing Phish play 99 Problems and Big Pimpin\' was awesome.  They couldn\'t be any whiter if they rolled around in the snow.  At least Fishman didn\'t try taking a verse.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been if they made Jay-Z sing a Phish song.  (Hmmm...I could see Fee with a hip-hop beat...)  Chalkdust after that, now you\'ve got Wilson, DWD, and Chalkdust in the same set, wow.  Good Hood and Taste to close.  Again they threw in the extra song (Taste) after the usual set closer (Hood), I like that tactic a lot.  Encore was cool again, letting the smoke go for Tweezer Reprise.

Another excellent show, strong 8/10.  Not too much in terms of jamming and segues, but great selection and playing and a great guest.  Can they keep posting shows like this?