Author Topic: Anyone find it a little odd to hold a festival in NYC?  (Read 2954 times)

tiedyetoga

Anyone find it a little odd to hold a festival in NYC?
« on: March 10, 2004, 09:34:01 am »
We would like to thank everyone who responded to our previous festival surveys. We received a great response. As determined by the survey, the #1 choice for a festival location is the New York City metropolitan area and the July 4th weekend being the clear winner as a favorite date. We are pleased to report that we are developing a plan for an event at a unique site in the NYC metropolitan area for the Saturday and Sunday of July 4th weekend. As we continue with our planning, we would like to hear an update on the the interest for this idea. Please click here to respond.
Source: warehouse.dmband.com

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 09:49:17 am »
Well being that the amount of people in the NYC area for that weekend is unbearable without a festival I can\'t imagine what the traffic would be like.

Also GOTV 2004 is looking like a go in Mariaville that same weekend

Very odd indeed
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

tiedyetoga

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 09:53:49 am »
So they are going to have Vibes this year? Interesting? Is Ken Hayes running the show again?

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 09:59:16 am »
interesting.. first place that comes to mind is Central Park.. given the success of the september show, i wouldn\'t be surprised if they do a weekend there...

other thing i was thinking of was times square, a la NYE.. just craziness in the streets.. but if that were the case, i don\'t see it being any more than a \'day\' festival. no idea how they\'d pull a weekend off...

tiedyetoga

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 10:01:04 am »
Money talks, bullshit walks. They have tons of cash so I\'m sure they can do pretty much what ever they want.

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 10:31:41 am »
Goddamit...when is Pearl Jam goingto hold a festival????
How real is that?

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 11:06:01 am »
From the Gathering of the vibes website / Terraopin Message Board:

"Hope all have stayed warm and listened to some amazing music during these cold winter months. It’s clear the “VibeTribe” wants to know what’s going on with Vibes 2004. The honest answer is, we’re doing everything we can to make it happen.

As many of you know, last summer we took quite the financial hit with our Summit on the Hudson Music Festival. An enormous amount of rain fell and other than some stellar performances by Arlo Guthrie, Little Feat, Steve Kimock, Chuck Berry and our friend Reid Genauer, the weekend was pretty much a complete and total loss. So we’re restructuring, reassessing our collective vision in hopes to keep the Vibes alive in 2004.

If we’re able to make this a reality, and we’ll know within the next few weeks, The Vibes will be 4th of July weekend once again at the Indian Lookout County Club. Many people need to put in for time off work so I hope this info helps. Again, no promises.

So what we’re thinking about for Vibes 2004, is to scale it back in size and scope…getting back to our grassroots days. When we first started out, the Vibes was all about a group of friends throwing a party for a few thousand of our closest friends & family. Regaining that “Vibe” is our goal for 2004. But I’m getting ahead of myself…we’re not there yet!

All I know for certain right now is that all of us have been absolutely blessed with the opportunity to host the Vibes and spend quality time with so many of you over the years. Community brought together through music…there is no equal.

So that’s where it stands today, on the 5th day of March, the year 2004. I can’t begin to thank you enough for your overwhelming support. The Vibes has been one unprecedented experience so far; a living and breathing entity, an experience we all take part in, year after passing year. With positive karma and a proper star alignment, we’re bound to cover just a little more ground. Please stay in touch!

The Terrapin Presents Family"

So should know more shortly.
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 11:42:47 am »
Originally posted by realisthis
Goddamit...when is Pearl Jam goingto hold a festival????

HA! yea right, that will happen. they are supposedly going to tour this summer on a \'select city\' run. I.E. The venues that the band REALLY REALLY liked form last year will be played again.

also in the rumor pit: shea stadium show sometime in september
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

tiedyetoga

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 02:28:54 pm »
Rumor now has it that the location might be Governor\'s Island. Now that would be a bitch and a half to get to. However they have a golf course there...

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 11:01:48 pm »
There\'s no way they can turn over CENTRAL PARK to a bunch of tie-dyed pot-smoking hippies for an entire weekend.  Millions of people use that park for recreation every weekend, you can\'t just close it for a festival.  I know it\'s big enough, but this is not a farm upstate, this is CENTRAL PARK.  I could see a fest in NYC maybe and I mean maybe getting 2 streets for 2 stages for an entire weekend, with the patrons staying in hotels, but that would just be weird and security would be a nightmare.  (By the way, did anyone see Matchbox 20 playing in the street right next to Roseland Ballroom the day Phish played Roseland?  That was pretty random...listening to Phish soundcheck and Matchbox 20 live at the same time.)  There are some big parks in Queens that might be a little more feasible, or we could just take all of Staten Island, but there\'s no way anybody gets Central Park for an entire weekend.  What about parking????  Good lord!

realisthis

• I Got 99 Problems, But...
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/realisthis?listid=0
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 01:59:50 am »
Yes, frankzappa thanks for the update, I, REALISTHIS did not know that it is unlikely that PJ will hold their own festival. I, REALISTHIS did not know that PJ is probobly doing a select city tour....
How real is that?

rokkit

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 06:44:06 am »
Prospect Park, Brooklyn, the race track further east, past airport big stadium flea market  use, forgot nom, Liberty park , a pier ,or just "Jersey shore in site a Mz zibberty. yow    therssalsa  gud pleaces in Westchester[ mzz stuarts hooss faam , fergosh

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 01:31:37 pm »
He works hard @ the gibberish, but here ^is evidence he\'s coherent(1st 1/2 of sentence is fine than ooops gibberish)
Still love it though.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 03:23:13 pm »
You\'re just not down with the dialect Leith.  It is not Gibberish.  It makes perfect sense to me.  Enough of this "coherent" nonsense.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 03:38:40 pm »
Ok Wolf. Challenge for ya. Translate his posts. I bet you\'re not as down as u think.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.