Author Topic: The number 23 (the movie)  (Read 3482 times)

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
The number 23 (the movie)
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:17:46 am »
anybody seen this yet?  I saw it last night and it was decent.  Anywho, does anybody know if all the facts in the movie are true and if there has been any kind of studies on the actual number "23" and how tons of events add up to it mathamatically?
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:46:22 am »
i remember after 9-11 some reporter(s) were saying that the terrorists choose that day for a reason. i have no idea how true that is or what they were referring to. 9+11+2+0+0+1=23 but that to me is a stretch. if you want to add all the digits together 11 should be broken down into 1+1, just like 2001 isnt added as 20+01. [/rambling]

saw reno 911: miami on friday night. very funny movie but it would have been nice to see 5-10 more minutes of jackassery as an 84 minute movie is kind of short. [/thread jack]
Smell my mule.

weekapaug19

• In the house
    • http://www.phishhook.com/lists/weekapaug19
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:48:43 am »
Quote from: booztravlr;136668
i remember after 9-11 some reporter(s) were saying that the terrorists choose that day for a reason. i have no idea how true that is or what they were referring to. 9+11+2+0+0+1=23 but that to me is a stretch. if you want to add all the digits together 11 should be broken down into 1+1, just like 2001 isnt added as 20+01. [/rambling]

saw reno 911: miami on friday night. very funny movie but it would have been nice to see 5-10 more minutes of jackassery as an 84 minute movie is kind of short. [/thread jack]

I was thinking this during the movie....if you are gonna break everything down to one number, shouldn\'t you always follow one specific formula, not making one up for every different situation?
"I don\'t know if it\'s an A-sharp or a B-Flat.......If you get this wrong, we\'ll all B-Flat"  -The Goonies

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:55:52 am »
pick any number and you can find thousands of things that are \'hidden\' proof of it meaning something. in hitchhikers guide they give the ultemate answer of 42 and at one point he put in a joke of the question being "What is 6X9?" along with "How many roads must a man walk down" and "where does it all end?"  Well, 6x9 does not equal 42, it equals 54. However, someone discovered this:

It was later pointed out by readers that 6 × 9 = 42 if the calculations are performed in base 13, not base 10. Douglas Adams later averred that he was not aware of this at the time, and repeatedly dismisses this as an irrelevant concoction, saying that "nobody writes jokes in base 13 [...] I may be a pretty sad person, but I don\'t make jokes in base 13."

so, like most theories, anything can be made to fit a number if you are willing to stretch disbelief and logic far enough.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 01:14:18 pm »
haha! My student just told me this brainteaser...
"A father and a son\'s age adds up to 55.  The father\'s age is the reverse age (i.e., 12=21) of his son, which is a two digit number.  What are the father & son\'s ages?"  :shrug: Just thought it was funny to see this thread while trying to figure out the answer(s)! ;)
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

kindm's

• Who Runs Barter Town...
  • Administrator
    • blueberrydreams
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 01:15:57 pm »
What is the Square root of 69 ?

8 (Ate) something ;)
"You can bet everything will come to an end. It's going to be ugly and it's going to be a mess, and it's going to be something that somebody did in the name of God...."

Frank Zappa, Artist as Genetic Design Flaw,
    Ecolibrium Interviews, Vol #19

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 01:29:28 pm »
I laughed pretty hard when I first saw the trailers for this movie because Ben has a bit of a preoccupation with the number 23. If nothing else it\'s his favorite number... but there\'s more to it than that. One way or the other I am sure he\'s going to be pissed if he ever sees the movie.
Masturbation in the MFA

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:35:38 pm »
Quote from: FreeSpirit;136682
haha! My student just told me this brainteaser...
"A father and a son\'s age adds up to 55.  The father\'s age is the reverse age (i.e., 12=21) of his son, which is a two digit number.  What are the father & son\'s ages?"  :shrug: Just thought it was funny to see this thread while trying to figure out the answer(s)! ;)

41 and 14.

that was really freakin easy.

Gordo

• Nicky Cheesecake
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=515917765
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:54:06 pm »
i have a shirt with the number 23 on the back and a few years ago at High Sierra this girl grabbed me and asked if i had any idea what it meant. it didnt go much further as i was a bit freaked out by her seductive eyes over the digits but it was the first time since Michael Jordan that the number took on any importance in my life. she really made a big deal out of it and to this day i dont know the substance behind it. it is a good number though, ive always liked it.
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sagethicket. "Vamanos amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintscraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.  --Eli Cash

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 01:55:06 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;136689
41 and 14.

or 32 and 23
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

FreeSpirit

• Mrs. Tickler
    • http://www.myspace.com/robynsegali
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 01:55:27 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;136689
41 and 14.

I got 23 and 32... ?? hey, i teach 6th grade, not rocket science :lol:
“Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings. ”[/color]

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 01:57:51 pm »
Robyn... that would mean the father was 9 when his child was born... ;)
Masturbation in the MFA

zuke583

• the whitest kid u know
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 01:58:57 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn;136694
Robyn... that would mean the father was 9 when his child was born... ;)

assuming it\'s his biological father...we live in strange times, jocelyn, strange times
take a big bite of the fruit of your labor

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 01:59:45 pm »
Valid point.
Masturbation in the MFA

RadicalRich1138

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 02:15:49 pm »
i wont see this movie becuase the last time this director and jim carrey got together they gave us Batman 3, aka Batman Forever!  way to fuck up a franchise!