Author Topic: Trey Anastasio on Frank Zappa (Rolling Stone #972 - 04/21/05)  (Read 632 times)

davepeck

• Administrator
just got my new rolling stone and saw this. looked online, and it\'s not currently there, so i decided to type it out myself. there\'s also a nice half-page illustration to go along with the article..

Rolling Stone

The Immortals: #71 - Frank Zappa (Rolling Stone #972 - 04/21/05; page 78)

by Trey Anastasio

In the early years of Phish, people often said we were like "Frank Zappa meets the Grateful Dead" - which sounds very bizarre. But Zappa was incredibly vital to me, as a composer and guitarist. I think he was the best electric guitar player, other than Jimi Hendrix. Zappa conceptualized the instrument in a completely different way, rhythmically and sonically. Every boundary that was possible on the guitar was examined by him.

I\'ll never forget the first time I saw him live, in New York, when I was in high school. He would leave his guitar on a stand as he conducted the band. He would get the keyboard player doing a riff, get him in key, while he was smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee, pacing around as he got this groove going. And he would not pick up the guitar until everything was totally together. There would be this moment - this collective breath from the audience - as he walked over, picked it up and started playing the most ripping, beautiful solo. When he played, he was in communion with the instrument.

Another thing that was very cool: His interplay was always with drummers. In a lot of jam-style guitar playing, the drummer sets off a groove, and the guitarist riffs off another guitarist or keyboard player. I saw Zappa at Memorial Auditorium in Burlington, Vermont, on his last tour, in 1988. He did this guitar solo in "City of Tiny Lites" where everybody in the band dropped out except drummer Chad Wackerman. I was in the balcony near the side of the stage. When Zappa turned his back on the audience to play with Chad, I saw this huge smile on his face. They were ripping together, and he was blissed out.

But it says so much about Zappa that this was also the guy who did orchestral pieces like The Yellow Shark. It\'s hard to believe somebody could do so many different things in a lifetime.

Zappa was a huge influence on how I wrote music for Phish. Songs like "You Enjoy Myself" and "Split Open and Melt" were completely charted out - drums, bass lines, everything - because he had shown me it was possible. And when I went to Bonnaroo two years ago with my ten-piece band, we did two covers, Charlie Daniels\' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" and "Sultans of Swing," by Dire Straits. In both songs, I had the horn section play the guitar solos, note for note. I never would have thought of doing that if I hadn\'t seen Zappa do "Stairway to Heaven"in Burlington, with the horns playing Jimmy Page\'s entire guitar solo, in harmony.

That\'s not what people are doing these days. I\'m making a new album, and the producer I\'m working with told me that there is a whole generation of musicians coming up who can\'t play their instruments. Because of stuff like Pro Tools, they figure they can fix it all in the studio. Whereas with Frank, his musicians were pushed to the absolute brink of possibility on their instruments, at all times. Phish tried hard to do that too: to take our four little instruments and do as much as we could with them. I would not have envisioned those possibilities without him.

Zappa gave me faith that anything in music was possible. He demystified the whole thing for musicians in my generation: "Look, these are just instruments. Find out what the range is, and start writing."

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Trey Anastasio on Frank Zappa (Rolling Stone #972 - 04/21/05)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 05:59:39 pm »
which once again proves my theory, trey wishes he was frank zappa.

good article though. thanks for typing it out. :thumbsup:
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

jocelyn

• Not in charge.
    • http://www.myspace.com/cowwcowboogie
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:05:09 am »
Quote from: FrankZappa

Yes, the first time I heard you mention that, don\'t remember if it was on here or in person, it rang incredibly true to me. I have been saying the same thing ever since. Good call Paul.
Masturbation in the MFA

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:44:18 pm »
Quote from: jocelyn
Quote from: FrankZappa

Yes, the first time I heard you mention that, don\'t remember if it was on here or in person, it rang incredibly true to me. I have been saying the same thing ever since. Good call Paul.

I\'ve been saying that ever since the orchestral work with the kids.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke