Author Topic: Setlist: 2008-04-19 - Mercury Lounge; New York, NY  (Read 8069 times)

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
Setlist: 2008-04-19 - Mercury Lounge; New York, NY
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 10:38:52 am »
Damn Mercury Lounge! I was buying 2 scotch/beers at a time to try to keep the booz flowing. I\'m really upset to hear Scheme as well as Cut My Hair Some Slack was dropped too. I had a great time though and didn\'t think the playing was that off. The energy and playing in Northampton was just too high to match.
Smell my mule.

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 10:58:48 am »
This show was just fuckin\' spectacular you are all spoiled and whiny bitches if you think this show was meh. It may have not been the night before but the guys killed it for me and plenty of other folk not on this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

jefmcc

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 11:12:56 am »
I had a good time too. It could have gone longer, but I still had a great night, as did the friends I brought.

Did anyone bid on those paintings?

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:02 am »
Yeah my only complaint would have been the time was so short but really I was ready to leave that godforsaken city anyway.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

booztravlr

• SHlTTER\'S FULL
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 11:40:51 am »
Yeah, 100 minute/one set/no encore show is fairly short. We ended up bouncing around the bars until 3:40 or so afterwards. I thought this was the city that never sleeps?

On a side note, was Tim informed of their 2am stop time during the Drum solo? He disappeared for a few minutes during that part. If so, that\'s kind of weak to only give them a 20 minute heads up.
Smell my mule.

peaches626

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 11:41:44 am »
Quote from: ulee;186923
>>astro note: the moon was "in the void" from 5 pm to 5 am sat night<<  which sometimes correlates with this "neither here nor there" energy and things just not getting off the ground ::shrug::

Hey, Ulee, why don\'t ya suggest this kind of stuff BEFORE the show is booked, so we can avoid all the awkwardness.

*On a sidenote, i listened to most of this show last night and it sounded pretty good to me... definitely a bit of crowd chatter, but with a few people on the Roll Call list, I would imagine this being a good time!
taints rule, gypsies drool!

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 11:50:30 am »
Quote from: cosmoechuck;186930

as much as i hate missing breakfast shows(esp ones with queb) im very content with missing yet another 1-set breakfast show in NYC(i cant help but lol at the folks in the chase thread that thought i was clueless about them only playing one set).  

looks like i good show on paper but im very sad to hear it wasnt that good dave.  i dont think its NYC persay, maybe just specific venues in nYC.  all the knitting factory shows kick ass.  just that mercury lounge shows seem to be meh.

the reason they keep getting 1 set shows in nyc is b/c people (aka fans like you...) are "very content" with passing on gigs where the band needs everyone\'s support the most.

sorry cosmoechuck, i don\'t mean to single you out and pick on you in particular, but i\'m just upset that this gig could have been unbelievable (for both the band and the fans) and instead it was kind of a flop.

alexi once said it best when we were on our way out to the plains, pa, show: "i like going to the shows no one else is going to be at, to represent." that\'s a selfless fan right there.

Quote from: ulee;186923
>>astro note: the moon was "in the void" from 5 pm to 5 am sat night<<  which sometimes correlates with this "neither here nor there" energy and things just not getting off the ground ::shrug::

hm. interesting.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:50:30 am by galenas »

peaches626

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:25 am »
^^^^
ya, i don\'t know why that didnt work.
taints rule, gypsies drool!

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
    • http://www.craigwendler.com
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 09:06:45 pm »
It seems that almost every time (well, recently) they play in NYC, they go on late.  12 or 12:30am.  And given a show like this that started hours earlier, people are tired, drunk, need to leave to catch a train, etc.  I\'m sure if they started earlier (when it\'s more convenient for the fans) the turnout would be much better.

I happened to enjoy the show.  Sure it could have been better.  Any show can be better.  If you consider it to be just a regular Breakfast show, it\'s good.  If you think it was supposed to have been an Epic show, then I can see where you\'d be disappointed.  But that\'s just me.

BTW, Dave sorry for talking your ear off after the show.  I had one too many drinks.  :chug:

davepeck

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 09:21:33 pm »
Quote from: fizzlefest;187017
BTW, Dave sorry for talking your ear off after the show.  I had one too many drinks.  :chug:

:lol: no problem. i\'m always happy to talk to new yorkers about their twisted ideas of what pizza is supposed to be. ;)

Penny Redstar

• http://pennyredstar.wordpress.com/
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 09:06:28 pm »
Quote from: davepeck;187019

:lol: no problem. i\'m always happy to talk to new yorkers about their twisted ideas of what pizza is supposed to be. ;)

Long Island pizza is better than NYC pizza...in my opinion.  Still need to try some Bar pizza in New Haven.  Perhaps the next Toad\'s show.

galenas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »
i ate waaaay too much lombardi\'s before this show. but it was awesome, of course!

ds673488

• Fair Weather Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 11:33:35 pm »
Quote from: Penny Redstar;187112
Quote from: davepeck;187019

Long Island pizza is better than NYC pizza...in my opinion.  Still need to try some Bar pizza in New Haven.  Perhaps the next Toad\'s show.

being from albany (not biased towards either), i definitely would put the places ive had at new haven WAY over the places ive had in nyc.  However, ive probably only been to .2% of the pizza places in NYC, so theres probably ones that are way better than the ones ive been to.
DS Newbers

Jim Cobb

• RailroadBuilder/RugPee-er
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.urban-fetch.com
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 08:36:26 am »
bar has absolutely amazing pizza.  much better than most of the pizza in nyc.  however, you cant put a place like bar up against a place like tottono\'s...  it\'s apples and oranges.  new york and new haven both have phenomenal pizza establishments.  cant we just leave it at that?
Postcount +1.

cosmoechuck

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 08:40:43 am »
Quote from: galenas;186951
the reason they keep getting 1 set shows in nyc is b/c people (aka fans like you...) are "very content" with passing on gigs where the band needs everyone\'s support the most.

sorry cosmoechuck, i don\'t mean to single you out and pick on you in particular, but i\'m just upset that this gig could have been unbelievable (for both the band and the fans) and instead it was kind of a flop.

alexi once said it best when we were on our way out to the plains, pa, show: "i like going to the shows no one else is going to be at, to represent." that\'s a selfless fan right there.

hm. interesting.

yeah you sure got me pegged.  ive traveled 3+ hours for many many breakfast shows that ive been told are def gonna be 2 sets and turned out to only be one setters due to poor turnout or getting started late.  so now i am very careful about what shows i travel more than 45 min to an hour for.  i know which shows to pick and choose to go to now.  obviously this one wasnt one of them.  a 12pm start time in nyc is 95% of the time only gonna be a one set show.  esp at mercury lounge(if it was the knitt they might have possibly gone later if there was a decent crowd and i prolly woulda come out since i really like the knit).