Author Topic: Free FTP servers?  (Read 543 times)

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
    • http://www.craigwendler.com
Free FTP servers?
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:56:38 pm »
Does anyone know if there are free FTP servers out there?  I need to send a video that I edited to a client and they are asking me to FTP it to them.  I checked out RapidShare, but that\'s not really FTP and it doesn\'t look very professional.

Thanks in advance!

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Free FTP servers?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »
free? good luck. Unless you know someone who has a site and can give you a seperate password secured folder for upload/download I doubt you\'ll be able to find anything.

You COULD check with your isp. A lot of the time they give you space for a personal website, and these usually work via ftp uploads. However, you\'re not going to get enough room on it to transfer a file large enough for full quality video of any signifigant lenght.

you could also try gmail if you have an account, that would allow you to send them a 1 gig file but the upload would probably kill you.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

BigMamaBlueberry

• om nom nom nom
  • Administrator
    • http://www.blueberrydreams.com
Free FTP servers?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 02:42:51 pm »
Quote from: fizzlefest;198152
they are asking me to FTP it to them.

Maybe I\'m a bit confused, but are they asking you to upload to THEIR servers?  When I\'ve done this in the past, the client just gave me the username and password.  FTP is just a data transfer protocol.

If you need a free FTP program, use Filezilla.  Great program.

If you are looking for an online video host for your video, try Vimeo as they have a very nice compression quality and no advertisements.  No FTP required, just upload from your harddrive.

No idea if that even helps you but thought I\'d throw it out there :)

davepeck

• Administrator
Free FTP servers?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:47:45 pm »
yeah, i was gonna say that if a client is asking you to FTP something, the client should have an FTP server for you to upload to...

fizzlefest

• Your Mom...
    • http://www.craigwendler.com
Free FTP servers?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 02:16:01 pm »
I ended up using RapidShare.  The person I am dealing with is not very tech-savvy, however I thought "well, maybe they know something I don\'t."  Next time I speak to her though I\'ll ask if they have a server to access.

@ BigMamaBlueberry... The video I cut is for them to host on their own website.  I simply needed to get the quicktime file to them, then they convert it to flash.  Thanks for the help tho.  And I agree, Filezilla is great.