Author Topic: Who is the best jamband?  (Read 8249 times)

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Who is the best jamband?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2003, 10:56:43 am »
you guys are all nuts. i though seth played with them at butterfield on phatty. you sit in a few times wolf, or am i just remebering wrong.

best jam bands,
frank zappa, miles davis fusion bands, mahavishnu orchestra, chick coria acoustic and electric bands, anything by sun ra, of course Ornet colemans double quartet free jazz, dave brubeck, frank zappa, igor stravinsky, edgar varese, mmw, frank zappa, primus, old phish esp. 1997 fall tour, pb, Grateful dead 67-72, 76-80 and the tour after garcia came back in 88, frank zappa,  bootsie collins, george clinton, bela fleck, victor wooten, and oh yea, frank zappa.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

gitCHu ONe.

• I reckon y\'all fixin to..
    • http://www.gitchuone.com
Who is the best jamband?
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2003, 07:25:01 pm »
i know that this thread has been going in all sorts of directions since everyone stopped talking about WSP and all...  but it is still CURRENT jambands that the discussion started about. Sure, all the bands listed above are good/were good, and i probably would\'ve listed them as well (Miles Davis etc..) but come on now... current baby current.

$.02

gitCHu ONe
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

FrankZappa

• the Bohr to your Einstein
  • Administrator
Who is the best jamband?
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2003, 05:33:20 am »
most of my list is still current:
frank zappa - classical still preformed worldwide 5-10 times a year, bands like project object still play his other material, and thing fish has/had a sucessful theater tour in england last year
miles davis fusion bands - no
mahavishnu orchestra -still on tour
chick coria acoustic and electric bands - still tours reguarly
sun ra - no
Ornet colemans double quartet free jazz - don\'t know
dave brubeck -still out there, every year in newport
igor stravinsky - still played frequently, NYPhilharmonic had several shows of his this season
edgar varese - still preformed, but you have to look
mmw - duh
primus - on tour
old phish esp. 1997 fall tour - still touring
pb - still touring
Grateful dead 67-72, 76-80 and the tour after garcia came back in 88 - the dead, phil lesh and friends, and rat dog still touring
bootsie collins - don\'t know about shows, but he was in the NBA commercials last year, so he still gets around
george clinton -still touring
bela fleck -still touring
victor wooten - still touring w/ fleck

out of 18, all can be heard except miles and sun ra, and maybe boostie. sun ra might even still be around but i dont know. composers dont have to be alive or present for there music to be preformed, so theres zappa/stravinsky/varese. also, with gd and phish i was just being specific as to which years i like the best.
"i heard that after he crossed the finish line he proceeded to wrestle down and pin a full sized grizzly bear"- ds673488

"if i listened to the distance on repeat, i\'d be wearing yellow jerseys like a motherfucker" - zuke

leith

• B'Fam West Coast Member
    • http://leithsd.googlepages.com/home
Who is the best jamband?
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2003, 02:21:44 pm »
Do u mean the tour after JG came back from his coma ? That was in \'86.
Worrying is like praying for something you don't want.

Wolfman

• Dam that DJ made my day!
Who is the best jamband?
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2003, 03:48:50 pm »
I played horn on stage with PB once, that Powder Hollow Barn show.  It was NOT the worst thing in the history of sound, as Freddie would have you believe, but the sound quality did blow, as it always does at that venue.  I rapped with the band on July 4th 2001 and in Atlanta in summer 2002.

DocEllis70

• shottynasalGuinness
    • http://www
Who is the best jamband?
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2003, 04:55:22 pm »
members of sun ra played a free show at the madison green about 3 weeks ago ..they do the same stuff as well as some originals i believe.
sleep a lot...eat a lot, brush em like crazy. Run a lot...do a lot, never be lazy..